“6 out of 5 stars on the food - truly superb”
Review of Hisop

Hisop
Ranked #629 of 10,351 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Hisop, the love child of two former Neichel chefs, Oriol Ivern and Guillen Pla, is slightly beyond the Eixample district, and their cuisine is slightly beyond the normal boundaries, as well. The restaurant itself is somewhat monastic with high ceilings and test-tube vases on white walls, each containing a single rose. Yet the ambience at Hisop is lighthearted and relaxed. The dishes are small, intensely flavoured and beautifully presented. The menu is misleadingly simple, 'squab' might be squab with pear puree and tomato confit served with a selection of three different salts and five different peppers. Great carte includes many wines of the region.
Reviewed 18 November 2013

As many others did, we went with the tasting menu - and it was phenomenal. Everything was done to perfection, flavors were amazing, combinations were really interesting, portions were appropriate and presentation was beautiful. We left feeling pleasantly full but definitely not stuffed - which can be a challenge after 8 courses. The price was very fair for everything you got, and the wine we chose (a 2010 Ribera del Duero) was an excellent pairing with everything. I'm still dreaming about the mackerel soup and the suckling pig. Truly one of the best meals we've ever had.

Now, my only complaint - the service this evening was definitely rushed, and the one waitress (I think the head waitress) was very curt and a bit rough with handling dishes. At the beginning we were worried this would be a distraction, but we just ate at our own pace and found amusement in how "unique" her personality was. My only suggestion to the restaurant would be to tell the staff to mellow a bit.

Highly recommended!

1  Thank NYC_ADK83

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I visited this restuarant with my friend as we had pre-booked it for our trip to Barcelona. We dined on a Wednesday night starting at 20:30 which is quite early for Barcelona as it only started to get busy as we left at about 22:00.

For starters I had the Squid and my friend had the scallops and pumpkin. My squid was the best I have ever had, Miles ahead of any squid I've tasted before. My friend also loved his choice of scallops and pumpkin.

For main I chose the John Dory and My friend had the suckling lamb. Again both amazing with his lamb being unbelievable, My John Dory was excellent but the small taste I had of his lamb left me feeling just a bit jealous.

For desserts I chose the cheese and my friend had the coffee, Excellent selection of cheese and the coffee was good too.

The wine list was good and the bottle we settled on was excellent. They also serve locally baked breads which you can choose out of a selection and they were beautiful, coming with a couple of selections of olive oil.

The service was friendly and unobtrusive which is my preference in a restuarant. Also the bill was considerably less than a mitchelin star restuarant would charge in the uk which only made it an even better experience. The only slightly negative thing I would say is that the decor inside isn't quite as nice as I would have hoped but is still nice and would suit a special occasion none the less.

If you are in Barcelona don't hesitate, just go. Recommended

Reviewed 8 November 2013

An evening at Hisop was the big treat of a meal planned for our stay in BCN, and a treat it was. Since we were a group of 7, renting an apartment and sans concierge, we made our reservation well ahead a time, by email which was convenient. 4 of us got the tasting menu and the other 3 a starter, main, and dessert, but the efficient staff was able to accommodate the flow. The amuse bouche was a luscious oyster on a herb foam -- the server asked first if anyone had a problem with shellfish. We then progressed through the fall seasonal menu -- a soup with thinly slice mackerel and chanterelles, Asian influenced; perfectly cooked squid with trumpet mushrooms, sausage, and fennel; then perhaps our favorite dish -- perfectly grilled scallops on a puree of pumpkin, with a sprinkling of pickled pumpkin, topped with a translucent slice of Comte cheese --fabulous. Next was monkfish, the best I've ever had and cooked again to perfection, followed by succulent, melt in your mouth suckling pig (a belly cut, I think) with apple and cardamom. Next was the cheese selection, so good, followed by a citrus sorbet pallet cleanser. Dessert was figs poached in wine with a little brioche and vanilla sauce. Each dish was delish to me, but the scallops and monkfish really excelled. Rather than get the wine pairing, we asked for a suggestion for a white wine (one of our party is allergic to red), and the selection was spot on. This is a special restaurant and chef Oriel and his staff are to be commended for wonderful flavors and impeccable service. As SS said in his review, I'd return to BCN just for Hisop.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We read about Hisop on TripAdvisor and it did not disappoint. We had the tasting menu, and every course was outstanding. The creativity, flavor combinations and presentation reflected the experienced and amazing chef and his staff. The service and ambience were also excellent. I would go back to Barcelona just to eat at Hisop.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

We enjoyed a fabulous meal at Hisop. I always look for unusual, off-the-beaten path Michilen starred restaurants and I am thrilled that I found Hisop. Located in an emerging neighborhood, I am happy to say that we were the only tourists in the restaurant. We decided on the tasting menu which was superb, but also requested small samples of some of the a la carte offerings which the chef was happy to provide. The service was excellent and the staff could not have been more accommodating when we asked to change our reservation to a later time as our day had stretched longer than we expected. Hisop is a jewel in the oft-over crowded and touristy upscale dining scene in Barcelona. Don't miss it!

2  Thank travelhappyinphilly