“Not Indonesian, more like bad Chinese food...”
Review of Betawi

Betawi
Ranked #1,815 of 10,474 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gòtico (Barri Gòtic)
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I searched for Thai and found Indonesian. And only a couple blocks from where we were standing. Awesome. We went in for a quick lunch and found the food to be poor. Greasy (oil not hot enough?), fried, and generally lacking in flavor. They say Indonesian, but it was more like American bad Chinese food from the 70s. The staff was nice, friendly, easy. I had some greasy noodles, my wife had a chicken dish that was breaded and fried and drenched in a sweet sauce. I'm not sure what people have been eating there to review it positively, but if you're looking for Indonesian food this isn't it. And if you're looking for tasty food, this isn't it. And for reviewers that discuss Thai food, Betawi is a people and language from Indonesia, not Thailand -- and nothing we ate resembled Thai or Indonesian food.

2  Thank arun_baheti

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I'm not an expert on Thai cuisine, but this place was near my hotel and I plumped for it over butifarra and mongetes. I should probably have gone for the butifarra, but that would be no reflection on the Betawi.

It's easy to find, amongst the tourist haunts of c/ Montsio. The staff are absolutely lovely and attentive. I had the prawn laksa and the chicken curry. The former was tasty, possibly a little salty, and the curry was just that... it lacked oomph, but as I said, I'm not overly familiar with Thai cuisine.

Well worth a visit, and a bit of a haven!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stumbled across Restaurant Betawi when walking through the Gothic District. Great fixed price menu at lunch. Three courses plus a drink for €12. All delicious.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

A very small restaurant with on the ground floor just 3 tables giving it the impression of a living room. On the first floor more tables are available. The atmosphere is quite pleasant. The employees are quite neutral when receiving the guests. We ordered 2 starters, a mango salad and a soto ayam (indonesian chicken soup). Both dishes were actually very nice, although the soup was freshly made so the soup was still a bit weak of flavour. The main courses were a nasi goreng with chicken and a beef curry. The nasi goreng was quite simple with 2 extremely small sate but the taste was nice. The beef curry was a disaster as the beef was of very bad quality with a lot of fat and tough. We commented it to the owner who offered us a replacement of the same dish but with chicken which we kindly rejected. She was obviously a bit ashamed and offered us the coffee for free. We were looking forward very much to a typical indonesian dinner but left actually quite disappointed. We might give it another try sometime but for now I give it an average recommendation. Maybe we had bad luck...the bill including a beer and a wine was 43 Euro.

2  Thank Montevino
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Had lunch there with friends, we share a couple of apetitazers ( they have a degustation plate just for this ) very good. The chiken brochettes and the beef were delicious, not that all spicy.
They have a fair menu, with vegeterian options, spicy food and not. And desserts. Rice and noodles are the main course and good.
Service, not bad, it could be better, but we got what we ask for and in a decent time. the place is nice and friendly, and only the air conditiong was on, when it was not needed specially full blast.

Other than that go and enjoy the food.