“Excellent self guided package”

Creative Catalonia - Bike Holidays Girona Spain
More attraction details
Owner description: Creative Catalonia offers bike holidays and walking holidays as well as Private Guided day trips with bike hire in the Girona area that are created just for you, doing exactly what you want to do, when you want to do it, please contact Daniel and Lucy. Only 25 minutes from Girona city and Girona airport and just over an hour from Barcelona, all of the best rides and walks are right on their doorstep.
Reviewed 29 October 2014

Great delivery by the team at CC. Everything was done with that little bit of extra effort that makes the difference. For example rather than just providing the route map on the GPS (which itself was a Garmin so that little bit better), they also provided detailed maps and route notes. Many other companies would have just provided one or the other. I did not rent a bike but saw a few at the hotel where i stayed and they looked well prepared (tourer types).

the routes themselves were very well thought through with well over 95% of the routes being on very quiet roads. There were times when a car did not pass me for 10km.

Only comment would be that this part of spain gets pretty quiet in late october so i recommend earlier in the season if you want the maximum choice of restaurants in the evening.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
creativecatalonia, Owner at Creative Catalonia - Bike Holidays Girona Spain, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2014

Thank you for your review of our road riding trip. We are delighted that our route notes, maps and Garmin were the perfect navigation tools. We look forward to seeing you again in Catalonia.

All reviews
"mountain biking"
in 5 reviews
"two nights"

Reviewed 27 October 2014

We completed the Best of Catalonia guided cycling tour with Daniel earlier this month. The weather was perfect for cycling except one morning when we opted to walk to the gardens at Cape Roig instead. The flexibility of Daniel and Lucy when train cancellations and delays changed our arrangements was unbelievable. They have so many options available to make this holiday truly memorable and pleasurable.
1. The bikes were top class for the terrain covered. The pace was whatever we set. The classification is easy to moderate. There were some good challenges as well as plenty of easy riding.
2. The hotels we stayed in were superb and the experience of various Catalonian dishes in the restaurants expanded our horizons greatly. Probably ate too much!
3. We chose private guided for our first overseas cycling holiday so we did not have to interpret directions an GPS prompts. That made for a stress-free holiday since we have no Spanish or Catalan. Daniel's Aussie background gave us heaps of topics to talk about along the way.
All in all this was an excellent end to a 5-week visit to Europe. Thank you Lucy and Daniel

Reviewed 26 October 2014 via mobile

We had a really great weekend with Daniel & Lucy. Perfect single trail tracks with good mtb bikes and beatifully environment.

Reviewed 24 October 2014

I agree with all these comments, so here are some specifics that might help when exploring bike trips. We went through an online “broker” and never got on Creative Catalonia’s site. As great as our trip was, if I had grasped how flexible Lucy and Daniel are (duh, that’s their whole thing!) I might have structured our week a little differently.

But before I go any farther, do this! These are smart, dedicated and kind people who set you up with everything you need and stay tuned, solving any little problem you might have. (Even dumb stuff like laundry.) Our week was the most enjoyable part of a month of being tourists in Ireland and Spain. Being out in the country was heavenly, getting exercise, way nicer hotels, and then a couple days when all the demands of travel melted away, and we were lying on beach towels on the Costa Brava... Like a really good movie, I don’t even want to tell you any more.

How fit do you need to be? My husband and I are 61. We’ve biked recreationally for a long time. We have light road bikes at home. A 12-mile ride is a good basic workout for us. A 30-mile day with hills is something we take half a day to do, always with a few stops and a meal. (For me, a good challenge.) Our Catalonia bike days were 24 miles or less on mostly flat terrain. These did end up being full days, though, and I was good and tired by the end. The bikes are heavier (not to mention the croissants) and you’re off-road a lot. And you have to stop to navigate, like, frequently. But I loved it, the routes were amazing, and the bikes were great. Awesome shocks! I’m 5’3” and mine was a good fit – no issues.

What was an issue was navigation. They provide you with everything you need, but it’s complicated. And navigation involves negotiation. When you’re both cheerful, nobody’s hungry, and you embrace the challenge like a scavenger hunt, it’s a lot of fun. But you need to stay focused the whole time. There were not many stretches where you could just cruise, and sometimes that wore on us.

If we do this again – and I hope to – I’d consider having Lucy or Daniel guide us one or two of the days. Plus I was ready for some connection to others by this point in our travels, and was surprised how much I appreciated (and wanted more of) their knowledge of the region…culture, food, history. They are expats but clearly part of the community, so they’re a great cultural bridge. Anyway, I would encourage you to take them up on their offer to make this exactly what you want.

But we were all about freedom and independence, and that we had. And there was lots of flexibility: ways to take shortcuts, days you can hike instead of bike, etc. (Do not miss the botanical gardens!) A wonderful trip, and we are so grateful for the experience.

P.S. We opted to have dinner included (this is not something they usually do) because we didn’t want to have to scout around for a restaurant at the end of the day. I wouldn’t recommend it. You end up with huge fixed-price meals in elegant restaurants. Lovely, but not necessarily what you want at that point.

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had planned a cycling holiday but due to injury had to change at the last minute to a walking holiday. It is testament to both Daniel and Lucy's organisational skills that the holiday was fantastic even though it was not what we originally planned. The walking route was very scenic as we dropped into some lovely coves and fishing villages. The hotels were exceptional in both the standard of service and the friendly staff. A great holiday and I have recommended Creative Catalonia to friends secure in the knowledge that a great time will be had by all.