“Decent hotel in an excellent location; could try harder”
Review of Hotel Peninsular

Hotel Peninsular
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Girona
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Stayed here 2 nights at the end of a trip to Spain and France. It's a bit outside our normal price-range, but we felt like a treat after a couple of weeks' B&B.

Girona turned out to be very well worth an exploration, and the Peninsular's position was excellent. Not only is it right on the edge of the old part of Girona, but it's only a 10 minute walk from the airport bus stop, even trundling a suitcase.

Our room at the hotel was good; spacious, clean, quiet, recently renovated, with air-con and a decent shower. Niggles would be first, that there was only one mirror in the room, and that was in the bathroom, which is not necessarily ideal for a woman putting make-up on. Secondly the toilet paper was packed into a sheet-by-sheet dispenser, seemingly designed to rip all sheets into small pieces as it dispensed them. Thirdly the air-con was stuck on a temperature that made the room too cold for comfort. This meant waking up a couple of times in the night to switch it on and off.

The hotel provides two PCs in the lobby for Internet access, and a free wireless network in bedrooms. The latter was very poor and hugely irritating when we tried to use it; the wireless kept dropping out, and, when working, the broadband connection was sometimes very slow.

The breakfast buffet was OK, although the coffee seemed strangely tasteless, and the juice had been heavily diluted. On a positive note this was the only buffet we encountered on this trip to have generous slices of Iberico ham on offer.

On the whole I think the Peninsular was just about worth the €93 per night we paid for the room, mainly because of its position. By using the airport bus we saved two substantial taxi fares, and being very close to the old town we were able to wander back to the hotel for a siesta when the heat in town was at its peak. This hotel could have been excellent value with a bit more attention to detail.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank grey.dave
There are newer reviews for Hotel Peninsular

Reviewed 19 June 2010

Had booked for 2 nights with breakfast included through Travel Republic and for a good price so was not expecting 5 star but the hotel was in a good location and the reviews were mainly positive. Had asked for a non smoking room but was given a smoking room which stank, there were more marks on the walls than paint and the carpet was disgusting. Immediately asked to be moved and was given a non smoking room on the 1st floor albeit an internal so no natural light but at least it was clean and smoke free. The stair carpet was threadbare and stained. The high light was the breakfast room which was lovely as was the breakfast. A bit of money needs spending on this hotel and although the location is excellent, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Price and location was good. Sound and smoke came in thru the air shaft, so didnt sleep all that well. Rooms are older and small, which I expected for the price. The people were friendly, breakfast was excellent (best part of my stay). The lobby is very plush, wish the rooms were too.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank HnLA
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I have been in every major city in Spain via JFK from US. This trip I tried Ryan Air to Girona. I took bus from Girona Airport and walked from station to Hotel Peninsular.
I found Jaime Anton at the desk to be very helpful. My first night was in a simple room, and Jaime made sure that I had ice (hielo).
At the end of the week, I returned again and my experience was even better. My room was on the second floor which has been recently renovated. Jaime was on duty, and he surprised me with a bucket of ice upon my arrival! (Americans love ice!)

The hotel is very convenient to the old city. If you go out the front door and turn left -
and left again before the bridge - there is a charming coffee place after Bennetton.
Also outdoor eating by the university square.

I went out the back door and found a supermarket where they had great cava!

Cross the bridge and there are many options. I would return again! Thank you! diane

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Diane034
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Would recommend this lovely hotel which is a short disatnce away from the old town.

We found the room to be very spacious and the hotel was very clean. The staff were always friendly.

The breakfast had a good choice and I would think that there was something for all palettes.

My wife's only compaint was that she felt that there could have been another mirror in the room!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Great location for exploring the city.The hotel is centrally located , very clean, great breakfast and very helpful staff.
You must walk along the old city walls to get the best views of Girona.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2010

The Hotel Peninsular is a great hotel and couldnt fault it at all!!!
Very clean, friendly staff, central location.
I stayed with 4 other friends for a long weekend break and none of us had a bad word to say about it.... just wish the same could be said about Girona!!!. None of us ate here so cant comment on this - but breakfast was on offer to us at extra cost.
As a group of girls in our late 20s,, we though that we would have a fab time in girona!!! God were we disappointed. We were made to feel very unwelcome by the spaniards!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends