“Mixed feelings about this one.”
Review of Hotel Peninsular

Hotel Peninsular
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Girona
Paphos, Cyprus
“Mixed feelings about this one.”
Reviewed 2 September 2007

Just back from 3 nights at the Peninsular in Girona and as I used this site for all my info, I thought it only fair to add my comments.
The Hotel couldn't be in a better location - walking distance to everywhere you would want to go in this compact city. The building itself is bland, but inoffensive, as is the reception area. On the other hand the breakfast room wouldn't look out of place in a trendy little boutique hotel, all crisp white tablecloths! My room was on the 5th floor, with windows opening onto an internal area, so no noise from the street. The bedroom was basic, 2 single beds, old fashioned fitted furniture, a tiny TV, all exactly as I expected for a 2 star hotel. However, when I opened the door to the bathroom, it was another story altogether! I could have been in a different hotel. It looked like it had been completely refurbed very recently. Modern tiles from top to bottom, huge shower, new fittings, good hairdryer, complimentary smellies......and the worst towels I have ever come across! Threadbare and grey! Bizarre.
When i was looking for help from the dayshift Receptionist to travel out of the city, she was totally uninterested. When I asked the evening Receptionist the same question he found and printed off both the train and bus timetables for me, and gave me lots of helpful advice.
I had a great weekend tho', and I have to say Girona is high on my list of favourite Spanish cities. I found it easy to get the coast (Roses) by train and bus, and wouldn't hesitate to visit again. Not sure about the Peninsular though, all a bit "hit and miss".

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — towels
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank missindy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 21 August 2007

We booked a flight on Ryanair.com to Barcelona not knowing that Barcelona is really Girona (an hour North of Barcelona). Soooo... we were coming in late (from Pisa) and didn't want to take the bus to Bacelona and get in there at midnight so we decided to stay in Girona.

The Hotel Peninsular was reasonably priced and a 5-10 minute walk from the bus station. The room was very large and "chainy." The bathroom was large and had a bathtub. Also, you could program the a/c at whatever temperature you wanted.

We did not pay extra for the breakfast and the late (11 am) checkout was great.

I would recommend this hotel for folks staying in Girona. It's a short walk to the old part of town and Independence Plaza.

• Liked — The room was huge!
  • Disliked — Figuring out you needed your room card to turn on the electricity
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ssore633
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2007

we had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The reviews on tripadvisor helped us a lot and this hotel is more 3 stars then one . Excellent location , 10 mins walk from train , one minute from river.
We took ryanair and stopped at Gerona for the night and next morning we took train to Barcelona ( only 5.5 euros). Our stop in Gerona really made our trip and we walked to the Catheral . We also loved the little shops on the way .
We definately recommend this hotel and thank you tripadvisor for the reviews to make our decision

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank Smeets P
Blackburn, England
Reviewed 1 June 2007

Peninsular is excellent value, clean and well run. Like many old owns with tall narrow streets, noise on 'party nights' can be a problem but the hotel have done their best to minimise it with double glazing and shutters that help. When we stayed, Thursday night seemed to be party night but that did not bother us! We did not take the 8 euro buffet breakfast - seemed a bit steep - but instead got a bracing coffee and a sandwich next door for half the price. Coffee and snacks all seem very reasonable in Girona's cafes - sadly in one cafe (first across the bridge on the rambla) we had to ask for our change. Hayho.

But the hotel is brilliant and very neatly placed for getting between the old town and the station.

• Liked — Clean, safe, convenient
  • Disliked — expensive breakfast
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fluffytapeworm
Boston
Reviewed 30 May 2007

A good thing about this hotel is its location - close to the river, but on the other side from the old city. Rooms are fairly basic. Staff is helpful enough (when we complained about noisy neighbors, they did fix the situation). The main problem with this place is noise. Most of this is not the hotel's fault, and is rather temporary - much construction going on in the area. In addition, some construction is going on with the Peninsular's building itself. Bottom line, though, is that this is not a hotel to stay at if you want a good night sleep.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2007

The hotel is just a stones throw from the river which means ist is just 2 minutes walk into the old city.

I booked it, rather hesitantly, as a one star hotel. When I got there it had a two star rating on the ratings plaque. I must say that Ive been in good 3 star hotels that weren't a scratch on this one. The staff were exceedingly friendly and much to my delight spoke far better English than I do Spanish.

Not advertised on the website was the fact that they did a very good buffet breakfast that was very reasonable. Far cheaper than the local cafes.

The room my wife and I were allocated was very spacious. Being in the centre of town I wasn't suprised it overlooked a road but as the windows are double glazed the sound was kept to a minimum and we had no disturbed nights. No pokey bathroom here, there was actually room to swing a couple of cats.

A small TV was suppled which was adequate for our needs but unfortunately the only English speaking channels were CNN & Eurosport. It would have been nice to have the BBC rather than CNN and we would have had more European news rather than "man bites dog in Hollywood" type stuff.

I think it was only the lack of a fridge and mini-bar in the room that stopped this rather wonderful hotel becomming a 3*. Then again we weren't in the room much for this to impact on our stay.

Overall - a lovely hotel in a wonderful city.
A great base to explore Gerona.
A must do - walk the city walls and end up in the Cathederal.
Easy to get to - 10 minutes walk from the rail / bus station.
Would I stay there again - definitely.

• Liked — The comfort of the beds
  • Disliked — Plastic flowers on the landings
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank dunworkin69
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 9 May 2007

Superb location next to the main bridge going to the old city. We stayed twice at the hotel. The first time, we were unable to get a room on the Carrer Nou side. The room was good, but noisy from the bars across the street. The second stay, we were able to get a room on the Carrer Nou side. Room smaller, not as nice, but very quiet. Did not take breakfast. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — noise at night
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank diaperman