“Ideal stopover”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Girona
Girona
“Ideal stopover”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Used Girona as a stop on our way. Decided for a town hotel instead of a hotel next to the highway. Where pleased with the Melia hotel. Price quality was in this case perfect. The room was small but with a king size bed. Great breakfast with even a cook at the scene for preparing eggs. Garage under the hotel. Had a very good diner aswell. Unfortunately we were the only guests.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank Robert Julius C... A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Leeds
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Although not in the centre, the Sol Melia is well placed near a park and only a short ride into the old quarter. I recognise many of the staff and they recognise me which is the mark of a excellent hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank RonI1968
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel with my partner in October on a weekend break. We knew the hotel wasn't in the centre of the city so we were prepared for the 20 minute brisk walk into the historic city centre. We booked one of the standard double rooms and the price was reasonable. The room was clean and spacious, the tea and coffee in the room was nice. But there were few four star details included. The breakfast was good but nothing special, we didn't have dinner in the hotel but the prices are reasonable. I would have been really enthusiastic about this Melia if I had known I was going to a 3 star hotel, but as I was expecting a bit more I was sadly disappointed. I would like to add that the reception staff were very friendly and helpful, but the Wifi internet connection is not very good and I don't understand how a 4 star hotel can charge 13.50 euros a day for the hotel car park when there is a free car park less than 50 metres away!

Stayed October 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I booked this hotel because I wanted something that was reasonably easy to get to from the airport as I had to leave early in the morning. It is quite easy to find, though if you're coming from the airport, when you start coming into town the hotel is signposted twice from the same roundabout. Make sure you take the left hand sign as the right hand one is for buses and would take you all over town. Once you've taken the correct road it's a straight run. The hotel is on the left of the road and you can't turn left at that junction. However there is a free public car park on the right just after the hotel (opposite the Corte Ingles shop) and I just parked there and then walked across the road to the hotel - easy and free, and it looked perfectly safe there. Very friendly service at reception and the room was very good with great air conditioning. Based on other reviews I asked for a room high up because of traffic noise, but I didn't hear anything and I can't believe you would further down either. It's a bit of a walk to get to the old part of town ( about 20 to 30 minutes depending on how fast you walk!) but well worth it as it's a lovely town with a great feeling to it. I had dinner in the hotel but it was a bit average - it would have been better to eat in town. The rate I got online was extremely reasonable for this quality of accommodation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute and it was a great hotel to stay in, although a little out of the centre of Girona. We found all the staff very helpful and we were able to check in a bit earlier than usual. We were in Room 417, which was very spacious with an enormous bed. The aircon functioned well, wasn't noisy and the room itself was very clean and very quiet, which made for a great night's sleep. We stayed for 3 nights and walked into the old quarter every day, which is a pleasant 15/20 minute walk. There is a bus outside (the L2) which goes into the town centre but we didn't use it at all, preferring to wander through the various streets on our way to the centre of town. I would definitely stay there again.
We only had breakfast one of the days and there was a wide variety of foods from cooked breakfast to the usual ham, cheese, bread, cereals, juices, fruit and tea/coffee. If you don't eat a big breakfast, then it was a bit expensive (around 15 euros). We decided to have breakfast in one of the various cafe's in Independence Square a couple of times and the cost for pastry, large bacon & tomato crusty bread sandwich and two coffees was only 10 euros, bargain. The only downside I found was that my iPhone wouldn't connect to the wi-fi, but my partner's Nokia could, so not sure if this was an Apple related issue (my iPad wouldn't connect either). Overall, this was a great place to stay and I'll be here again when I come back to Girona.

Room Tip: Don't know about the other rooms, but the 4th floor, and room 417 was very quiet, clean, near th...