“A good hotel in downtown”

Hotel Ciutat de Girona
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Girona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 March 2011

That's a good hotel in the very downtown - just 50 meters from from the Rambla across the river. Everything is nearby. The hotel is located at a pedestrian street, near commercial district. The only negative thing I could mention - breakfast is far inferior to hotel general level. I must admit, some tomatoes were not good at all.

Reviewed 28 February 2011

The location was excellent - 50 yards to the footbridge to cross the river plus another 50 yards into the centre of the delightful old town of Girona. A nice, friendly bakery cafe just around the corner and about 200 yards to the North there is the lovely PLAÇA INDEPENDÈNCIA with lots of choices for open air restaurants.
The hotel standard was very good - very clean, spacious room, very comfortable king size bed, stylish bathroom.
The bus from the airport runs every hour at 30 minutes past the hour, takes 30 minutes and costs 2.40 euros. The hotel is a pleasant 10-15 minutes walk from the bus station.

1  Thank StuartFromKirkham
Reviewed 23 February 2011

We have been to Girona countless times over the last 30 years on our way to the coast, and have enjoyed wandering round the streets in the old part of the city. We decided to stay for two nights this year, so that we could enjoy Girona at a more relaxed pace. We wanted to be very close to the historic centre, but we also wanted somewhere quiet - and we had read comments about other hotels on Trip Advisor regarding disturbed nights due to bells ringing every 15 minutes!

This hotel is ideal. It is situated near to Plaça Independència and the hotel is also near to a pedestrian bridge over the river to the old city. The streets around the hotel are pedestrianised, so the hotel was very quiet. Restaurant was excellent, and the staff looked after us very well.

For a bargain lunch, it's worth trying the menu del dia at Restaurant Lloret in Plaça Independència; but there are plenty of other restaurants to try.

1  Thank CalellaDePalafrugell
Reviewed 25 January 2011

I spent one night in this hotel prior to a meeting in Girona (and a trip home via the Trenhotel, which I thoroughly recommend, but can't easily review here.) I wasn't looking for much; a drink when I arrived, working internet, a decent night's sleep, breakfast and a quick checkout. I got some of those.

So, good points first. The rooms are decent, comfortable and well-provided. There's an abundance of freebies in the bathroom and you get a bathrobe and slippers, unusual now in all but the priciest hotels. It's well-located in a quiet side-street very close to the tourist sights and only 10 minutes walk from the train and bus station. They have wifi, but it needs a password and it wasn't offered to me - I had to request it. Although the lobby has a sign proclaiming it to be the wifi zone, I never got it to work there but did succeed in my room later.

The lobby also had a bar. But this didn't actually seem to be available for use, although staff from the hotel restaurant were popping in and out of the bar all night. I asked when I arrived if I could get a drink and was told that I couldn't do that unless I ate in the restaurant. There wasn't really any explanation or apology for this, despite the fact that the bar is clearly separate. The restaurant itself looked excellent and good value, but I had eaten on my (long) journey there, and I just wanted a drink. I was told to find a bar somewhere else.

Breakfast was reasonable continental; not great, not bad. It wasn't at all clear when I booked that it wasn't included (in fact, 'everything included' looks a lot like the opposite to me - but so it goes.)

The second failure with service occurred when I wanted a taxi. It was ordered promptly & without fuss, and the failure of the taxi company to show up was not the hotel's fault. But after I had been waiting nearly 30 minutes, and had asked more than once what was happening, they should have tried something else - another number, something like that. I eventually abandoned them, walked down the street and found 10 cabs waiting on a rank 5 minutes away. (That problem wasn't unique to this hotel, as a colleague had a similar problem at another hotel in Girona that day.)

So I'm ambivalent about a recommendation. The room I was in would not be comfortable for more than a day or three - not enough space to be more than a business hotel, or somewhere just to sleep. If you need a base and no more, this could be good - there's lots of places to eat and drink nearby.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank cziwkga
Reviewed 5 January 2011

This is a great hotel for a short stay in Girona. From the airport take the bus to Girona bus station and from there a taxi is about 7 euro or if you are organised it's a ten minute walk. The rooms are large, powerfull shower and with the windows closed silent. On the same street is a bar called babel and tapas bars and restaurants are close by or just over the bridge in the old town - enjoy

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Moosws
Reviewed 6 December 2010

After reading all reviews on Tripadvisor we finally settled on the above hotel and we are so glad we did. The Ciutat de Girona is modern with great young helpful ladies on reception. Our room was really a wonderful surprise. Spacious, modern, spotless and a very good bathroom with quality amenities. There is an excellent restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and it was always packed.. The breakfast was delicious and plentyful. The coffee was from an expresso machine. You couldn't ask for a better location. The old town was literally 2 minutes walk away across one of the many heritage bridges. that cross the Onya river. There is lots to do and see in Girona and it deserves at least a 2 night stay. We took the train from the Sants station in Barcelona and arrived in Girona an hour and a half later after a very scenic trip. Don't by pass this wonderful Historic city. Judith and George, Brisbane, Australia

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Ciutat de Girona for one night at the end of an 8-day visit to Catalunya and were very pleased with our choice.

The hotel's location couldn't be better, just steps from the pedestrian bridge across the river to the old town and within easy walking distance of many restaurants and shops. The deocor is stylish and contemporary. Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean with all the amenities one would expect, including free WiFi. The staff members we encountered were all very friendly and spoke excellent English.

We paid for the optional breakfast buffet because we wanted to eat something fairly substantial before heading to the airport. We liked the fact that most of the buffet items (especially the meats and cheeses) were clearly labeled in English, along with their countries of origin. This made it easy to sample products that were locally produced without a lot of guesswork. The fresh-squeezed orange juice was another nice touch.

The hotel is within walking distance of the train and bus stations, though you may wish to take a taxi if you have a lot of luggage. It takes about half an hour by taxi to reach the Girona airport from the hotel.

Girona itself is a delightful place to visit, with lots of intersting sights (cathedral, old city wall, half a dozen museums), good restaurants and good shopping. The city makes a convenient base for exploring nearby attractions, such as the Dali Museum in Figueres (an easy day trip by train or car) and the historic towns in the foothills of the Pyrenees like Besalu. However long you plan to stay in Girona, don't hesitate to book a room at the Hotel Ciutat de Girona. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family