“Good, clean and excellent value”
Review of Hotel Margarit

Hotel Margarit
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Girona
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We spent one night in Pension Margarit in July. We had a standard room. It was simple, clean and comfortable. The bed was large and comfortable. The bathroom was modern and better than I have seen in more expensive hotels. Breakfast was really nice with plenty of choice and you could eat as much or as little as you like. They constantly replenished the buffet as items ran low.
Staff were very friendly and helpful.
This is budget accommodation so do not expect luxury. However I we were very happy with Pension Margarit and will stay there again when we next visit Girona.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Margarit

Reviewed 31 August 2009

I expected the room to be small and dingy, since it was so inexpensive, and that's fine. In this I was not disappointed. I thought the bathroom could have been cleaner but passable for a the few uses I needed. But when I turned back the (icky) blanket to find a hair that was not mine on the sheets I was ready to check out (unfortunately for me, my visit coincided with Tour De France and no other hotels had vacancies. On the bright side, since I had my doubts about this hotel I packed my sleeping bag liner so I provided myself with my own sheets.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 August 2009

It was one of the weakest rooms where I've ever stayed. Watching the photos and the recently renovated appealing hotel entrance I was expecting a comfy and cozy room, but in fact, our double room (301) wasn't as nice as the lobby. (photos, even mines, seems much better than it really is)
It's a budget accomodation, so nothing fancy to expect, but being Girona (a nice city but not exactly Barcelona and not a beach place), the price/quality was supposed to be much better. I'm not sure if it was only our room (the cheapest) and the other ones (more expensive) were much better, but mine was really weak and that is a fact.
The hotel (in Spain is rated as Pension) entrance is very appealing with modern and colourful decoration, even with internet access at the lobby. The Staff at front desk was kind and friendly when we were attended by 2 guys and unkindly indifferent when we got a lady (it seemed that she was doing as a favour).
There's a useful supermarket aside the Margarit where it's possible to buy some stuffs to eat and drink.
As for the room itself, it was spacious enough, comfortable bed, with a little sofa and bed and a nice balcony with views to a little but cozy interior 'Zen Garden'.
As for negative items: a small and old fashioned TV with no remote control, old and used wardrobe, no air conditioned (only a fan). The room, such as the bathroom, was no cozy and appealing at all - old fashioned, seemed to much used and needs restoring - and we didn't felt comfortable, specially at the bathroom where, although being clean, it had a half bathtub (tipical in some spanish Hostals and Pensions), but not so practical as a poliban. The shower-wall-support was loose and we had to hold it all the time while taking shower (with good pressure 'thou). Obviously, the sound isolation was terrible - sounds from stairs, corridors, other rooms and even from outside.
The room wasn't so nice as the entrance and photos antecipated - what a pity! I'm expecting to pass by Girona more often in transit for other flights, but I will try other places for sure - I paid 50€ for a double with breakfast included (it was a nice breakfast with spanish tortilla, juice, bread, ham, cheese, pastries, yogurts, coffe and milk), but I think there are other better options to stay the night.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PortoExplorer
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Girona, although a hidden gem (people flying in with the cheap airlines usually give it a miss and head straight for Barcelona – a HUGE mistake), does not have too many good value accommodation options. Margarit is one of the few. The location is perfect for the train station (5 mins) and shopping in the new part of the city (2 mins), and not far from all the stunningly beautiful sights in the old town (10 mins to the cathedral, on the other side of the river). For a reasonable price, we got a "superior double" room, with ample space (especially by Iberian standards), a lovely bathroom, TV, aircon, and a big (again, for Iberia), comforatble bed (even though the mattress was a bit on the hard side). The breakfast (included) was basic but OK. The only nuisance (and we were aware of this before arriving) was the lack of a wifi network; there was just one public PC at reception (and the receptionist made me pay for using it on one occasion). COME ON, it's 2009, no? Margarit also serves as the left luggage office for the train station, as the one at the station is closed for security reasons (July 2009). So after walking to the station, the tourist information guy sent us back to Margarit. Good it's so close, as we ended up covering the route three times... Overall, basic but definitely recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2009

we spent one night at the Pensio Margarit at the end of a holiday touring Catalunya. Our room was large, clean and simply but adequately furnished with a comfortable bed. The refurbished bathroom was fully tiled with a large walk in shower. if you want airconditioning you have to leave a 10euro deposit with the receptionist for the remote control. The hotel is located midway between the bus and train stations and the old town, 10 minutes each way. We would stay here again as it represents excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Over6044
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Just back from a 4 night stay in the Hotel Margarit. Excellent location, less than 10 minutes from bus station. Bus leaves outside the airport and takes about 15 minutes. Our room was a superior room. Couldn't see why it was regarded as a superior room though. Double bed, two chairs and a very clean bathroom with hairdryer and soaps etc. There was no balcony. I think some of the rooms overlooking the very small Zen garden had little balconies. The weather was fabulous and it would have been nice to be able to sit out. Reception staff seemed very friendly and let us stay on until 1 pm as our flight was a late one. They had internet in the reception area. We went on bed only basis. So cannot comment on the food. There is no bar in the hotel but right around the corner from the Hotel we discovered a great bar with an exceptionally friendly staff Ca La Gadea, C/ Rutlla 6. They couldn't have been nicer to us and we had many drinks on the house which was a lovely touch. We also discovered a lovely restaurant that did the most fabulous lunches for €9.50 for 3 courses and this included a bottle of wine and bottle of water. It is called d'ara, C/ del Carme 19. The food was amazing. We had lunch there on three days. Closes at 4 pm and is closed on Saturday and Sunday. We thoroughly enjoyed our 4 day stay and will probably go back later on. You could easily get around the city in 2 or 3 days. Most bars closed at 10 pm but you will get a few that stay open later but a little bit more expensive. A Farrell, Dublin

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Stayed here for 1 night in February 2009. The hotel is in an ideal spot to get to the old town and any bars/restaurants along the river, and is only 5 mins walk from the bus station The rooms are very clean with an all important clean bathroom with shower. This hotel was way cheaper to book than any other I found and was much better than expected. I would deffo reccommend this place to anyone. I will use it again.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends