“A memorable 4 hours of dining and wining!”

El Celler de Can Roca
Ranked #1 of 537 Restaurants in Girona
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We arrived at El Celler promptly at 9pm and found ourselves to be one of the early patrons so we took our sweet time taking photos of the venue. Our expectations were extremely high for this restaurant knowing that it was the 2nd World's Best restaurant. El Celler did not disappoint. If this is your first molecular gastronomy experience, prepare to be blown out of your mind. This was actually my 3rd experience (having been to Alinea and Colborne Lane) but I was still wow'ed by the creativity of some of the dishes. It really like a Disney World for your taste buds and other senses. My favorite was the king prawn dish and also the amuse-bouches that just explode with strong flavours in your mouth. The downside for me was dessert. I didn't find any of the desserts particularly memorable especially compared to other fine-dining restaurants.

The menu is pricey since the tasting involves 13+ dishes. However, if you compare the price to tasting menus at other restaurants, this is an absolute steal considering the calibre and status of this restaurant. I've heard from friends that reservations here are extremely hard to come by so be sure you reserve early! For our trip, we lucked out since it was winter so it was a low season. I reserved just a month and a half in advance and was able to secure a spot with no problem.

More photos - http://monkeyseemonkeyfeast.blogspot.ca/2012/05/tasting-dinner-at-el-celler-de-can-roca.html

3  Thank Jenn C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,451)

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I visited this restaurant three weeks ago together with 4 friends.
The reception was friendly and gentle. We had a first drink outside. Then we had the opportunity to visit the kitchen and to meet the chef in person.
The menu we had had 15 courses with 15 different wines. Every plate was a work of art and was very tastefull. The service was impeccable. Although I visited many great restaurants, this one was for me the best.

1  Thank PR-INTERIORS
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I recently dined at this most amazing restaurant, going for the 15 course menu and wine pairings. Each course was a flavour explosion in my mouth - there is no other way to describe it. The service was truly amazing, the glass and courtyard is beautiful, and meeting both Josep and Joan was a thrill. They are humble, gracious, and approachable. The tour of the wine cellar was something I will never forget. A MUST if you enjoy food and wine!

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Beyond imagination. Enter the other side of what food can be. Altogether exquisite, surprising, refined, warm and class.
We went for the surpise menu and it was an astonishing experience. The matching wines were on perfection.
Considering the price for what you have in return, it looks even chip.
The only down side if I may is that 14 courses is long, even if well chained and introduced. So starting dining at about 21:30 is a bit late. Beside the large mix of wine even if sampled and of the finest quality, is a lot.
Worth any experience life can bring.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

We were taken for lunch as a birthday treat and had the tasting menu, served with specially chosen wines. The food was superb, especially the beautiful design of each course and the special plates which all added to the experience. The wines selected and served with each course (14/16 I think, but all taster size) were also beautifully selected. The service was absolutely the best we have experienced; each course is described, as are the wines served, but there is absolutely no pretension, no dress code, no superiority. In fact when our waitress realised we were there for a special occasion not only did she offer us a tour of the kitchen, where Joan Roca joined our photograph, but afterwards while we enjoyed another bottle of champagne in the beautiful gardens, they brought out a specially decorated gold leaf chocolate bombe for us to share! I cannot recommend this highly enough - you may only do it once but don't miss it. Incidentally, I agree with a previous review. Think at least 200 Euro a head for the full experience! It REALLY is worth it. Thank you the Roca family - and do try the blown sugar apricot......what an experience!