“Has lots of potential”
Review of Hotel Calipolis

Hotel Calipolis
Ranked #7 of 40 Hotels in Sitges
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Calipolis for a week in mid June in a Junior Suite and then a Suite. They were similar except the Suite had a separate bedroom. The reason we switched is simply that we extended our stay because we loved Sitges so much and had met new friends there, and the Junior Suite wasn't available.
Both rooms were facing the beach with lovely balconies. The rooms themselves were a little tired and we expected this based on photos. The bed wasn't the most comfortable and the couch in the Suite looked like it was from the 80's. The rooms were generally clean and staff were always friendly. Management had been kind enough to organise a car for us from Barcelona Airport before we left Australia.
We tried the breakfast twice and it was nice.
The key to this hotel was its location. It was directly across the road from the gay beach and an easy walk to the restaurants and bars. It would be great if management started a refurbishment of the hotel and modernised this place, because it would attract even more people.

This link is a video we took of the view from our balcony:

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Calipolis

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I have recently stayed at the Hotel Calipolis and am writing to speak to the excellent attention and administrative effort from the Director de Alojamiento, Edgar Labadia. This fine gentleman was truly thorough and fair with a business matter from my recent stay in Sitges. I would highly recommend the Hotel Calioplis for many reasons and would state that all the guests are better served by the attention to detail and business prowess of Edgar. His attention to the customer needs is beyond reproach.

James B, Toronto ON

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Great location and awesome views of ocean and great restaurants only second from hotel. Room is very uncomfortable, bed is like a rock and room is not very clean. Bed cover has stains on it....really gross. This is definitely not a 4-star!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Hugalex1
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I just spent a 5-day break in Sitges at the Calipolis, where I've stayed twice before and even gave an excellent review last year. Unfortunately, my stay here this third time will be my last owing to the fact that I splurged for a suite and was given a room that distinctly smelled of sewage (627). The hotel clerks were aware of the problem ("It's because of the rain," they explained). I was shocked that they knowingly put guests in a room with a sewage problem, which wasn't the case in all rooms, including a friend's suite on another floor. I had put up with the smell until I lost patience, at which time they offered me a suite on a lower floor that reeked of smoke! ("Yes, it does" admitted one of the desk attendants who came to show us the room. Third try, we were put in a second floor suite with limited views. No problems here, though with partial beach views, it wasn't what I paid for.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Globetrotter1973
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have stayed at this hotel yearly for 10 years now. It has undergone major renovation and extensive modernisation over the years. It occupies the best location in Sitges opposite the beach, promenade and on the same street as some of the best restaurants facing the sea in Sitges like La Ninja, Santa Maria and my fave Fragata. We always spend a little extra and book a sea facing room and sometimes a junior suite. The hotel staff, have always been extremely friendly, polite and professional. However I believe as this is the best and the most expensive hotel in Sitges - the service should be impeccable and not just excellent. They did demonstrate this as we accidentally left our iPod Nano in the hotel room safe. The next day when we were in London they called us to say they found it and would mail it back. It's little touches like that this that we have come to appreciate about the Calipolis. The rooms are big but don't book room 425 as it's smaller than the others. We always need a double sink - there is nothing more fun than two people getting ready in the bathroom together before hitting Sitges town for the evening. The hotel bar is really relaxing. There is a dipping pool - which I have never used as the beach is across the street. The new Hotel Gym also looked good if you want to get a workout in. We have never stayed at any other hotel in Sitges apart from Calipolis. However I do believe they need to take their service up a notch as the other hotels are catching up. Sitges is a great little holiday destination. It has kept the charm of the old town – the church is beautiful. There are numerous restaurants, bars and cafes for different wallet sizes. The gay nightlife is excellent. The skybar at the Hotel Sofia next to the Calipolis is a must go to destination. Sitges Beach and the promenade are excellent. You can jog, walk, cycle or rollerblade along it. Most importantly Barcelona is a 30min air-conditioned train ride away. The shopping is OK – shops with tat, beach goods and designer stores like Antonio. The Calipolis always calls us to Sitges - it is where my partner proposed to me and so it is a very special place. Thanks for another amazing holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms 425, 525 etc are smaller than the others.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hiyaraj
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I really don't think this hotel can be beaten on location. You just have to cross the street to be on the finest bit of beach that Sitges has to offer. It's also excellently placed for lots of restaurants and bars for day and night-time. We had a side seaview room but apart from the view there was nothing special about it. The whole place felt a little spartan and lacked those little extras one expects from a four-star property. Breakfast was good if a little pedestrian but certainly didn't leave you feeling hungry. I would stay here again if visiting Sitges because for a beach holiday it was great. But if you're after a romantic setting I'm not sure this is the best place to be.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Very convenient to all amenities, including beach, restaurants and night life. Rooms are light, spacious and of a high standard, and are cleaned regularly. Superb breakfast. The outdoor bar is very pleasant in the evening, with ambient lighting and excellent service. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2013