“My Favorite Hotel in Spain”
Review of Hotel Subur

Hotel Subur
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Sitges
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
“My Favorite Hotel in Spain”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have just come back from my 6th. stay at Hotel Subur. It is wonderful and good value. The rooms in the back that do not have a balcony, are the only drawback. The seaview rooms are the best rooms, ever! The decor has been kept in such a way that you still have the feeling of the long history og it´s existance. The breakfast room and the restaurant area is delightful and also very good value. The staff are helpful and knowlegable. Can´t wait to stay there, again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony and for an extra supplement, a seaview (it´s worth it, when available...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank heidarjonsson
hsubur, Assistant Manager at Hotel Subur, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear heidarjonsson,

Thank you for write your opinion about your recent stay at our Hotel and for your nice comments. We’re very happy knowing we're your favorite hotel!

If we can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. I hope that you will enjoy again in your next stay in Sitges with us!

Grup M.A. S.L.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have just returned from a weeks stay in Hotel Subur, Sitges.

The room was fairly modern, the room was very clean and they had laid out some magazines etc for the surrounding area. The bed was firm and there were spare sheets etc should you have needed them. I would have to say it is pretty no frills though and I think that's reflected in the price.

A couple of gripes I do have. There needs to be a mini-fridge in every room so you can store water, beer etc without it getting warm. My other issue is with the pillows. On a double bed there are two pillows that are the entire width if the bed. So both people have to have either one or both pillows. I prefer one pillow, but my companion prefers two...this seems like a bit of a mistake to assume two people sharing a bed like the same pillow configuration.

There are some comments about noise on here. I would agree that there needs to be some signs up to ask visitors to keep noise down between certain hours. We had a lot of door slamming, shouting and one night someone blowing a whistle in the corridor at 5 am.

Other than that, the hotel is very near the beach and all the central nightlife. I would happily stay here again if I had to but it wouldn't be in my top 3 places to stay in Sitges I'm afraid. It's just missing some basics that I think should be a standard expectation in a hotel in 2013.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear grandmofftarkin,

Thank you for write your opinion about your recent stay at our Hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we value your comments. By telling us what you liked and how we can improve, you're helping us to offer a better experience for you and other guests in the future. We’ll take note about your tips and we hope improving this points we appear in your top 3!

If we can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor. I hope that you will enjoy again in your next stay in Sitges with us.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

Great location for everything we needed, came for bears wk 2013.
Got upgraded to a better room with out any hassle not that our original room was bad just wanted a bigger 1 with a balcony. Friendly staff and ro was always clean

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Chris E,

Thank you for share your comments about your recent stay at our Hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we value your opinion.

If we can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor. I hope you'd enjoyed BearsWk’13 and you will enjoy again in your next stay in Sitges with us!

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This was the 3rd time I stay at this hotel.
Location: Couldn't be better - just a few steps away from anything in town.
Cleaning: Nothing to complain about.
Noise: Lots of party noise in this area during nights - you'll have to accept that, and the windows filters out some of it. The noise from inside the building is much worse! Sometimes I thought I had forgotten to close the door (which seemed to be thin as paper). Both the cleaning staff and not least the neighbour guests slammed the doors as if they not for a second reflected that other people might be disturbed. Lucky for me, I always bring earplugs when I travel, so I could sleep well despite this, both at nights and during my afternoon naps.
Air conditioner: Worked well, but a bit noisy though.
Bed: Hard, or maybe I should say firm. Perfect for me, and probably satisfactory for anyone who dislikes soft beds!
Staff: Reasonably - and in some cases very - friendly and helpful (with one exception, read more below) and speak English more or less satisfactory.
Breakfast: At earlier visits I found the breakfast great, but this time the selection of food had been noticeably reduced. (The last days of my stay even the yoghurt disappeared!). Now I would say the breakfast is quite good - but could be a bit better for the price. The coffee is very tasty, though - an important advantage! If you arrive after 8 o'clock you can sit outside and enjoy your breakfast overviewing the boardwalk - very nice.
One BIG disappointment: Three of the mornings there was a young woman working at the breakfast who obviously had got NO instructions about service and friendliness, and had no natural talent for her work. 100% of the time she looked sour and grumpy. Not for one single second she showed a smile. Anything shed said sounded angry, as if the guests were annoying troubles in her life. It may sound like I'm hypersensitive, but meeting a person like that can really ruin the start of your day!
On top of all: The 5th morning (the 3rd morning this sour woman saw me at breakfast), she suddenly came up to me with a 9€ bill for the breakfast, though I had already booked "breakfast included". Now, if she had said "I'm really sorry for the mistake" with a friendly smile, I had said "Don't worry" and forgotten about it, but her only reply was "OK, thanks" (and of course without any smile), so the start of this day was really, really ruined, and I was irritated all morning.
I am NOT the demanding and whining type of customer - I seldom find reason to complain - but if I was the boss of this person I would fire her at once!
All in all: If you want to live right in the middle of town, use the room primarily for showering and sleeping, accept having to wear earplugs for silence, at quite a low price, I can really recommend this hotel. (Breakfast is optional, and in the end I think it's worth the price.)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KristianPersson
Dear KristianPersson,

Thank you for write your opinion about your recent stay at our Hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we value your comments. We'll take note about your tips about our facilities and specially we’ll investigate all of your comments regarding breakfast service and the staff working on it.

If we can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor. I hope that you’ll chose again our Hotel in your next stay in Sitges!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

I did not book this hotel so cannot really speak for the rates etc, but I did read some of the reviews prior to checking in. 1st impressions are, great central location overlooking the beach and minutes from the town centre. The main lobby is bright and modern and the staff were helpful and friendly. Our room was very large with not so much a balcony, but a terrace overlooking the beach. When you look a bit closer at the fixtures and fittings you can see that the hotel is in need of a bit of modernisation that a recent lick of paint does not entirely disguise.

I found a few other reviews that talk about the hotel being noisy and complaining about the Sports bar underneath. Well Sitges is a party town and you are right in the middle of it here, so what can you expect as the windows are single glazing. But I found internally there was a lot of noise as the doors are old and thin, and they are gaps around the edges, to the extent that at one point I thought there was someone else in my room when someone was outside in the corridor talking.

This having been said, the rooms were clean and air conditioned. We spent very little time at the hotel and slept soundly throughout the night. If you are looking for a place to sleep off the night before and shower after the beach then this hotel will suit you down to the ground.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sebastian H,

Like you said, we need to improve some facilities, our Hotel opened in 1916, so the build every year needs refurbishments, thank you for your clear tips and for read other reviews and give us your opinion.

If we can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor. I hope that you will enjoy again in your next stay in Sitges with us!

Clonmel, Ireland
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Hi Isabel.
Can you give me 10 reasons to stay in your hotel this October. I have read all the reviews and am in douth whether to stay or not. The price looks good and the location but some of the comments scare me.So can you reassure me before i book
Thanking you
Joe

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear EILEEN320,

Thank you for leave your comments on Tripadvisor.

I cannot give you more reasons than other guests, reviews are clear and like other hotels we have very strong and positive points and some negative points. Our main attractive is location, we’re in the center of Sitges in front of the beach near train station, bars, restaurants, shops, etc... We’re basic 3* Hotel with different type of rooms and every room has different size. On the other side we have some negative points like the soundproofing (street noise), we’re working on it!.

If we can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly by phone or e-mail. I hope that you'll reserve our Hotel in your next visit to Sitges!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Hotel Subur is in an ideal location, directly across from beach and within a couple of minutes walk from shops, bars and restaurants. I couldn't have wished for a better location. We had a penthouse room which was fantastic, very large terrace with sunloungers, table and chairs and also a fridge. Views amazing. Helpful friendly staff including the reception staff who were always pleasant and helpful. Rooms were cleaned to a high standard and the cleaners were also very friendly. I would recommend Hotel Suber penthouse rooms and would return again. We never heard any noise whatsoever from the street at night and always had a good nights sleep

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lulu851
hsubur, Assistant Manager at Hotel Subur, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Lulu851,

Thank you for write your opinion about your recent stay at our Hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we value your comments (thank you for your nice comments about our Staff and Penthouse rooms). By telling us what you liked and how we can improve, you're helping us to offer a better experience for you and other guests in the future.