“Great hotel, price and location!”
Review of Hotel El Cid

Hotel El Cid
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Sitges
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my partner and our 8 friends for Sitges Pride weekend, well what can I say but we will be coming back, this hotel had everything including a bottle of Cava for breakfast each morning! The staff are friendly and the hotel is centrally located so you are near everything. Our room was cleaned everyday and we had clean towels everyday also, the beach was not far and if we didn't want to go there we had the pool to laze around. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Sitges.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2011

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Great hotel, highly recommended if you are on a budget. Rooms aren't luxury but the beds are comfy and daily room service! It's not like you are going to spend much time in your room!

• Stayed: July 2011
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it is greatly appreciated.
We're also pleased that your holiday in our beautiful country went so well and we were happy to be able to contribute to that.

Reviewed 6 July 2011

Me and my partner stayed at El Cid from the 29.06 until the 03/07
The hotel is very good located.
It's close to everything (bars, restaurants, beaches, train station, bus ETC)
Rooms are quite large, clean and maintained.
The hotel staff (especially the morning clerk) were very polite, courteous, and very helpful.
They give a good feeling to the guests.
A modest breakfast but sufficient.
Compared to the price, it's an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floore with a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

We visit Sitges regularly but have always stayed in one of the other - more expensive - hotels. Now we intend to come back to the El Cid again and again!! the staff were so polite, friendly and helpful, the rooms were kept perfectly clean and the upkeep in general was fantastic! the bonus of a pool, air-con and double glazing was not overlooked (no more hot, noisy nights!) Our only - very minor - complaint was the breakfast could be improved with serving real coffee and fruit juices and more turnover of what was on offer, rather than adding new food on top of the old. But all in all an exceptional budget hotel!! Thanks for the fantastic stay!!

Room Tip: all good rooms!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2011

Thank you very much for posting such lovely comments, and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us! We enjoyed your company very much and would love to see you return in the future, take care!

Reviewed 4 July 2011

I booked the El Cid through Hotels4u, and was a little anxious for a couple of reasons - firstly, I hadn't been to Sitges before and don't like using local transport outside the UK, and there was no other way of getting to Sitges from Barcelona airport, apart from a taxi. Secondly, I had never booked a 1 star hotel before in the UK, let alone Spain, and feared the worst.

What did I find? At Barcelona airport I decided to catch a taxi instead of struggling on the local train or bus service, though I had been warned this would be likely to be expensive. I asked the taxi driver how much to Sitges, and he gave an estimate of 50-60 euros. I went with that, but whilst the bill came up on the meter as 66 euros, I was charged 72 euros when Spanish VAT was added. This was very expensive, but as the hotel was so cheap (£160 for four nights in June) I decided it wasn't too outrageously extravagent ...

The hotel is a very short downhill walk from the station. Basically turn right outside the hotel onto the main street, and its a left turn shortly after the small grassy roundabout on to San Jose street.

Now for the hotel. The reception area was reassuringly spacious and light, although lots of old fashioned dark wood furniture around. I had requested on my booking form with Hotels4u a single room with air conditioning and a pool view. The very pleasant man at reception directed me to my room. The single room requested was in fact a room for three people - a double bed, and a single bed. It was larger than I had expected. The curtain was closed, and peeking behind it was immediately evident why. I didn't have the pool view requested, but looked into a tiny courtyard of other hotel room windows. My first disappointment.

My second was that my air conditioned was very warm. It hadn't actually been turned on, so I turned it on by touching the start switch. It might have been nice to have had this ready for my arrival? It took a good half hour, to an hour, to cool the room down.

My room did look a bit depressing, but although old fashioned in style it was very clean indeed. I even liked the tiny shower room/WC, which was brighter than the main room. I also liked the large fresco on the wall above the beds. The double bed was hard as nails, however, so i preferred to use the slightly more comfortable single bed which was also more conveniently situated immediately below the air conditioning unit and ceiling fan.

Having unpacked I explored the hotel, its lovely clean pool area, large breakfast room, and then had a wander around the town. There is no question about it, the hotel is perfectly situated for the town centre. Immediately opposite the hotel is a "Taste of Home" shop ran by two exceptionally friendly English women, from where I bought huge bottles of water every day for 1 euro. The water machine in the hotel has very small bottles of water for 80 cents. The hotel has free wifi but it didn't work on my ipod for most of my visit. I thought this was probably my ipod's fault at the time, but now I'm back in the UK it seems to have no problems working with wifi here...

Sitges is a gorgeous seaside town. Very lively and colourful but also relaxed. Hardly any traffic so easy to walk everywhere. If you're going partly for the gay bars and clubs, they begin about a minutes walk from the hotel!

Whilst not perfect, I grew to rather enjoy the breakfasts. At first I was appalled at the stale croissants and horrendous fruit juice machine, but I loved the coffee machine, the pastries, the enormous melons, rolls, and cakes.

Overall this is a well run, very convenient, and with its pool and helpful friendly staff, enjoyable hotel to stay in. Exceptional value for money.

Having been burnt on the way out, I decided to travel back using the train. There was nobody at the station ticket office, so I had to use a machine. Fortunately it was simple and worked. 3 euros for my ticket to Barcelona airport. There were no announcements in English, or signs in English either. I got on the train (fairly new, air conditioned, and not crowded) which appeared to be the right one, but at El Prat where you have to change trains, the doors wouldn't open! A helpful Spaniard suggested knocking on the driver's door. The driver explained that El Prat ... wasn't a stop for this train, and eventually allowed me to jump down onto the platform from the driver's cabin. It was quite a jump with my heavy suitcase and bag, and no doubt would have been prohibited in the UK! Anyway, I changed platforms and whilst the delay had caused me to miss my connection to the airport, another came along after about 20 mins. Whilst 3 euros on the train is infinitely preferable to the 72 euros charged by the taxi driver, the journey was more stressful and inconvenient, so I am not sure which method of travel I would choose if I go to Sitges again. Nothing to do with the hotel of course, but thought this might be useful information for a first time visitor to Sitges like myself.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view, or balcony room!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank LondRobert

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Nice pleasant staff always eager to help. A lovely pool area, nice long breakfast time 8-12 so it was nice and peacefully . Would we go again …probably but we would like to see the bar better staffed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
GerenciaSitges, Gerente at Hotel El Cid, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2011

Thank you very much for posting a review and for saying such nice things, we're very pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

Just back from my first trip to Sitges. We stayed at the El Cid hotel, we decided to spend as little as possible on the hotel as we were there for 10days, our requirements were, clean and close to everything and the El Cid delivered.
Ok the hotel is dated, its all old furniture and tiles in bathroom are so old they are most likely going to be back in fashion again sooner than later, but i am not knocking the hotel for its style, its a really nice well run little hotel, the room was always cleaned when we got back everyday, fresh towels, you cant ask for better, the only let down was the bed, i have to say it was not very comfy(other people i was traveling with found them the same) after a few vodkas in the bars i didnt care but it something to note, if you need a really comfy bed then i am not sure this is hotel for you but its my only complaint. The rooms did have air-con and what 1* offers air-con so top marks for that let me tell ya.
The staff at this hotel are lovely, a credit to the place. from front desk staff who were very helpful to the chamber maids, all friendly hello's whenever you passed them in halls. The breakfast is served in basement room, its feels like its under the pool but its was great for the price we paid for the rooms, its usual stuff, breads, pastries, cold meats, juices, coffee/tea and cava (nice touch) I didnt come down for breakfast everyday(even thought it is served till midday) but i did have a nasty hangover a few days and didnt make it down, but tasty and plentyful.
The hotel is near everything, the train station is 5-8 mins walk away, the beach is about 5-8mins walk as well, plenty of gay bars near by and some great restaurants, we ate in parrots restaurant, great 3course deal. SoCa is very near hotel and had fantastic 3 course deal with glass of wine or beer. If you wanna splash out a wee bit, The Beach House is gorgeous and pretty close.
All in all, a great llittle 1* hotel with fantastic staff plus clean and safe.... what more do you want!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ray-Cork

It was a pleasure to be able to host you and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay here in Sitges.
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor, it's certainly much appreciated.