“Great bar”

Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Sitges
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great bar”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I didn't stay in the hotel on this visit - but I have several times and always enjoyed. Had several pre-dinner drinks in what must be one of the most charming bars in the world. Manuel is a great and really welcoming barman.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank philipoconnor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Datchet, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We found this hotel purely by accident. A former mansion home that has been beautifully converted to a hotel by it's new owner. The hotel is very Spanish in it's architecture and design with beautiful inner garden where you can have your morning breakfast. The hotel also is full of very interesting paintings and curios belonging to the owner. The rooms are large and comfortable. Cleans and decent. There is a small bar where you have a less expensive drink before you venture out to the sea side and more expensive bars and restaurants. It's only a 10 or 15 minute walk to the beach but at almost have the cost of the seaside hotels it's a bargain.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs room . . . you get the cool air breezes that will keep you more comfortable. Downs...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
london
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I arrived in Sitges late on 2nd Nov 2013, having just been mugged and robbed on the train from the airport. I was in a desperate state, but thanks to the help and support of Junior, and the night porter (who's name I do not know) what was a frightening and upsetting start to a few days in Spain was made bearable.
Junior calmed me down, checked I was not hurt and then took me to the police station - where he stayed with me and helped me make my statement, and made sure I was OK over the next couple of days, while I got everything sorted out. I cannot think what I would have done without their help or support and I cannot thank them enough.
I have stayed at both the Romantic and the sister hotel Rennaissance several times before over the last 20 years, and have always found the charm of the old buildings (right in the old part of town), fabulous courtyard breakfasts (under the palms), quirky decorations and the feeling that you are staying in somewhere unique and special makes every trip magical - these are not perfect, faceless, glossy, identikit hotels and that is why they are rather wonderful - a feeling that has only been reinforced by the help and support I was shown.

Room Tip: The buildings do not have lifts - so if mobility is an issue ask for a room on the ground floor!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank rgsLondon
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

A hotel with old world charm. Great location and lovely staff. No air con, wobbly breakfast tables, limited views but...... Fabulously over the top decor, original art, lovely breakfasts, open air courtyard for coffee and cocktails and a regular and tasteful clientele.
The 5* Marriott it is not. I loved it even more than some of the grand and opulent places I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Ask to see the en suite rooms without a balcony. They are light and airy internal rooms allowing a q...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ali D
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels all over Europe, ranging from 5-stars to rock-bottom basic dives, but I have never experienced such a horrible, gratuitously rude and insulting reception as the one we received at the Hotel Romantic.

We live nearby, in Barcelona, so Sitges is a very familiar place. We had walked past this hotel many times and admired the architecture and beautiful shady garden, and my husband finally booked 2 nights as a surprise birthday treat.

When we arrived, on a beautiful sunny afternoon, the first word from the elderly man at reception was a brusque “pasaportes!” (forget buenos días, bienvenido or anything like that). We then realized that had left our passports back in Barcelona, we’d totally forgotten that we would need a passport as we only live 30 minutes up the road. This was a bit foolish on our part, but what followed beggared belief.

Instead of politely explaining that they really needed the passports and suggesting solutions (for example one of us could easily have gone back to Barcelona and collected them while they held the room), another, middle-aged man appeared and proceeded to insult us. He barked out the rules and regulations at us at length, reminding us aggressively that it was all our fault and there was nothing they could do. When I protested (all in Spanish) that this was not a great way to welcome your new guests and that I found him rude, he told us to go and do what we liked and that he didn’t care. He then threatened to call the police, and informed me for good measure that his English was much better than my Spanish (it wasn’t). I should emphasise that all this was unprovoked, it came out of nowhere – all we had done was forget our passports and ask if there was some solution.

We asked to speak to the manager. He told us he was the manager. We were stunned – so here was the manager of an elegant, expensive hotel (€115 per night) hectoring, bullying and insulting guests at great length in the reception of his hotel, in front of several other guests and staff . He made Basil Fawlty look like a model of courtesy and discretion. We then asked him to ring the agency (booking.com) – he spoke to them for some 15 minutes, sounding on the defensive, and finally handed the phone to us – booking.com were great and got the cancellation fee waived. The manager then ignored us completely and we left.

Basically the matter of the passports was trivial and could have been solved easily if we had been treated with basic politeness. The ‘manager’ of this hotel treated us like garbage right from the off. The moral of this story is that however beautiful and graceful the hotel building, with horrible staff it will be a horrible hotel. The Romantic Hotel needs a totally new management with basic hospitality skills if it is to live up to its name and architectural advantages.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
24 Thank Poussis

Travellers are raving about these Sitges hotels

Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I booked this hotel as a surprise birthday present for my wife, as we had often enjoyed a drink in the garden and she had always said she would like to stay in the hotel. When we arrived the guy on reception ignored us completely. Still, that was nothing compared to what was to follow. I handed in my reservation. He asked for our passports. I said we didn't have them as there was nothing in the documents confirming our reservation saying that passports were necessary, just a credit card. I asked if he could call the emergency number of the booking agency, as our confirmation document said to do if there were any problems with the booking.

It was then that the guy ferreting about at the back burst into a tirade, telling me and my wife how ignorant we were and refused to call the number. He subjected us to verbal abuse, treat us as if we were a piece of dirt beneath his feet. I should add that there were four other people trying to book in and they could hear every word of this. Naturally, this offended me and it distressed my wife greatly. Nevertheless I tried to maintain my cool and asked again if he would contact the booking agency. Eventually he did and started spouting off about this stupid couple who had arrived without a passport. Presumably because he was speaking in Spanish he thought we couldn't understand him. We did. He also made the mistake of telling us presumptuously that he was doing us a favour by speaking in English. He wasn't. We have lived in Spain for over five years and are fluent enough to hold a conversation - certainly about a hotel reservation.

I then spoke to the guy from the bookings agency who was very sympathetic - unsurprising after he himself had been on the wrong side of a lengthy earbashing from the hotel manager.

After being assured by the agency that any attempt by the hotel to take any money by way of using us not having a passport as an excuse for a 'cancellation' would be refused, we left and headed for the Sitges tourist office to report how we had been treated.

The worst thing about all this is that if the hotel manager had been in the slightest bit civil, the whole issue could have been easily resolved. We live about an hour from Sitges. I could easily have gone and returned with our passports. Or, if the passport number alone was sufficient I could have retrieved it from my iPad which was inside my suitcase. The hotel manager was unwilling to listen to these suggestions and by this time we had decided that we wouldn't want to stay in a place managed by such a despicable, ill-mannered lout.

Yet in two ways he has done us a favour. First, by finding out what he was like before we signed the guest book, we avoided the inevitable boorishness and incivility which would have surely followed. For it is impossible for anyone so bad-tempered and who is capable of treating guests like scum to change chameleon-like into a genial mine host.

Secondly, while this was a wasted day, we later booked into a place in Sitges where we have stayed before and where we know the management and where we know we will be treated as human beings.

There really is nothing romantic about this hotel. Caveat emptor.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank David R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed for 3 nights on my first trip to Sitges. The hotel is in a great location, walking distance to the train station, town centre and beaches. Daily breakfast has good selection and all hotel staff were very friendly & helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front on the street side are a bit noisier to area traffic if you want to sleep late.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo