“A great experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Tarragona
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“A great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I stayed here with my partner and her son (12) for 3 nights. What a great hotel. We had room 317 at the top of the hotel. Looking out to the small pool and with glimpses of the Mediterranean. On arrival we were met at a friendly efficient reception and the whole stay at the hotel continued with the same warmth throughout the hotel from all the staff. The location is brilliant, directly in the centre of Tarragona. We loved the city and the hotel was a great bonus. There are no coffee facilities in the room or a fridge, but that is quite normal in many European hotels so it was not an issue. You could get cold drinks from a machine on the ground floor 24 hours a day and the reception were always happy to make a coffee. Breakfast was excellent and the room was cleaned to a high standard every day.
As we left and moved on to Valencia we toyed with the idea of turning around and staying in the hotel for the rest of our holiday. We will be back to visit Barcelona and Tarragona and there is no doubt we will book the Hotel Lauria again and stay longer.
We booked the hotel through its website and got a better prices than through all the usual hotel sites, included was an upgrade if a room was available.
Both my partner her son and myself enjoyed the hotel stay and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It is not 5 star, so don't expect that in the facilities, but the staff and the location exceed many 5 star hotels I have visited.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor. 317 was great, but I think all the pool facing rooms on the 3rd floo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms

hotelLauria, Gerente at Hotel Lauria, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Binks64,

Thank you for this nice review about our hotel and for the time spent writing it.
We are very glad that you had a good time in Tarragona and that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. It is very important for us to have satisfied guests.
As you said, there are no coffee/tea facilities in the rooms, as well as fridges, but our guests have the possibility to rent fridges if they need one. People who are interested should ask about it in the reception.

We are waiting for you in our Hotel again, and hope that you will enjoy your stay even more!

MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Spent two nights in Barcelona and then went to Tarragona by train for three nights. This budget, boutique hotel is in a great location within minutes walk from the historic centre, 10 minutes walk from train station and 10 minutes walk from nearest beach. Basic hotel, in need of recoration, rooms basic, no tea/coffee facilities, all TV channels in Spanish.
This hotel is good for short stay only as an excellent base to explore the area.

Room Tip: We discovered at the end that we could have upgraded for a small cost. Advice is not to go for basic...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
hotelLauria, Gerente at Hotel Lauria, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Gerry23229,

Thank you for writing this review.
Indeed, the hotel has one of the best location in the city. In what regards the tea/coffee facilities, It's true, It's not habitual to have it in Spain. And about the redecoration, we plan to renovate some of the hotel's rooms this autumn, that way our guest would enjoy more their stay here.

Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I and our 15 year old son stayed at this hotel for a week which we found to be very nice indeed. The location was perfect, approx. 1 hour 15 minutes by train to Barcelona and the town Tarragona was beautiful with plenty to see and do. Train station 10 minute walk away. The hotel staff were helpful, friendly and couldn't have asked them to be any better. The hotel and rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The only negative was that we would have liked a fridge in the room but would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again,

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the sea. We were on the top floor and had no noise what so ever facing the har...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

hotelLauria, Gerente at Hotel Lauria, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Rachel b,

Thank you for writing your opinion about our Hotel and for the time spent for it.
We are very glad that you remained satisfied with your stay.
In what regards the fridge, as you said, we don't have them in the rooms, but, there is the possibility to rent them at an economical price. People who are interested should ask in the reception about it.

Wish you a nice day!

Bordeaux, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

English is not my native language but I will do my best .
Me and my boyfriend booked an apartment for two nights and payed 110 E/ night . They gave us one of most dirtiest apartment that I have ever seen in my entire life . They didn't respect us as clients. Disgusting !!! I asked the guy from the reception to change it but he didn't want to on the begin because they were fully booked (he said) . I was very upset and he called his supervisor I think and ask what he should say to me. Can you believe this???? : " (in Spanish,he had no idea that I can understand) I give her another apartment or I say I don't have one, give her money back or ..... " .
The second apartments it was " a bit better" but stil dirty , dust, hair on the towels and floor no air conditioning, the walls were dirty and greasy, the towels were gray not white and little brown spots on . Beahhh ! I had to use my clean t shirt to wipe my body after I took a shower. We asked for an entire refund but they gave us just for one night . He said we have to wait for the next day .
I had the impression I was sleeping in an old and dirty hospital not a hotel . I woke up 4 am and couldn't sleep anymore. I had the impression I have rats on my body .
They have two buldings of apartments but I had no idea , one that has been refurbished and one that wasn't .
In the morning it was a gentleman on the reception and started to yell that he wants his money back for breakfast because thats a shame not a breakfast .
The only good thing in this hotel was that "8 steps" pool but other then that NOTHING .
The photos of the rooms do not show the real conditions, different furniture, etc. I took some photos but not to many unfortunately .
Sanitary police should be notified .
Before this bad experience we stayed in Barcelona in a very nice apartment and very clean for just 75 E/ night and here 110 E for that mess ??? Beahh again .
Shame for the staff of this hotel .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Coco C
hotelLauria, Gerente at Hotel Lauria, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Coco C,

First of all I would like to thank you for writing this review. We are very sorry that you remained unsatisfied with the services and the apartment. Till now we have never received any complaints on the apartments, It's the first case of this kind and we really regret it. We have discussed with our corresponding department about this, from now on, they will careful not to get in such situations.

I would also like to comment that we do not have two buildings of apartments. We have one building in which are disposed the Hotel Rooms, and another one with only apartments.

In what regards the photos published by our hotel, people should not confound the photos of the rooms with those of the apartments, they are different things, as well we have different types of rooms which are furnished and arranged in different styles. So, while making impressions about our rooms by seeing them in the site, people should be aware that if they want an executive room, a standard one or an apartment, they should watch the corresponding photos, if they don't want to be misled.

Again, being very sorry, receive a cordial greeting,

MANAGER

Travellers are raving about these Tarragona hotels

Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We were there last year, and I just realized that I never left a review, so here it is :
We stayed there for 8 days in July 2013 (and not 2014 as it is written, can't select the year anymore), and it was perfect. We wanted a hotel near Barcelone and Portaventura. After some research, we have chosen Hotel Lauria thanks to positive reviews on Tripadvisor, the location, the price and the swimming pool (even if some would find it a little bit small, I would like to say that I really enjoyed being in it. Actually, thanks to the fact that we weren't many in the pool during the week we stayed there, it was more comfortable than some bigger yet over-crowded swimming pools).

Located near the train station (we walked for like 5-10 minutes), it has a very beautiful view on the beach at 50 m further on the street. The main entrance is nice, antique-style, whereas the reception was brand-new. Room was great, renovated and spacious. TV, AC, and very nice bathroom. Haven't tried the breakfast.

Overall a pleasant stay. I recommend it !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms

1 Thank Spoutnik19
hotelLauria, Gerente at Hotel Lauria, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Spoutnik19,

Thank you for this nice review! For us is a pleasure to see that our guests remember about us even after a year!

We are very glad that you remained with good impressions and that you enjoyed your stay here.
If you will decide to visit Tarragona again, we are expecting you in our hotel with open arms.

Best regards!
Lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Easy to find, underground car park yards away at a discount. In room, found balcony...tempted but explored. Found the big square with Ayuntamiento, many different restos to chose from, some not open till 7pm or later. Pretty good range of choice. Short walk back, hour on balcony watching world go by. Breakfast OK in morning. Why don't Spanish hotels do kettles in rooms?

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
hotelLauria, Gerente at Hotel Lauria, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear SirBillTaylor,

Thank you for writing your opinion about our Hotel and for the time spent writing it. We are happy to hear that you liked it and hope to see you back in Tarragona and in our Hotel!

In what regards the kettles, in Spain in general we don’t have this tea culture as in the UK and usually people don’t need kettles in their rooms. Anyways, if someone needs a kettle, they can ask in the reception and we can rent them.

ELOY CAPDEVILA
West Calder, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Having researched a few hotels in Tarragona I decided on the Hotel Lauria and was very happy I did. This a a rather small hotel, which I prefer, and the staff and the service are first class. Location is hard to beat at the end of Rambla Nova with a wealth of cafe's and good restaurants outside and a truly superb, clean and safe beach about a ten minute stroll away, past the Roman Amphitheatre. The pool area is small, but quiet and very comfortable and a great way to relax after a stroll around this relaxing town with it's great architecture and Roman ruins, not to mention the large crowd dancing the 'Sardana' on the Rambla Nova...what a boost !.
Don't miss Marta's Cuban Mojito bar next door for an excellent Mojito friendly people and free salsa lessons if you are up for it, superb. I will certainly be returning to The Lauria on my next visit to Tarragona

Room Tip: I chose a Junior Suite overlooking the pool with a side sea view, which was clean, well appointed, q...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
hotelLauria, Gerente at Hotel Lauria, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear GerardDuffy1,

Thank you for writing this review. We are very glad that you liked the hotel and enjoyed the walks and the locals in our city! Rambla Nova (the street on which is situated our Hotel) is indeed a beautiful street full of life, with a lot of restaurants, and in a way to the most interesting attractions!
We are expecting you in our Hotel at your next visit to Tarragona and hope that you will enjoy the next visi8t even more!

ELOY CAPDEVILA