“Far from centrum/not friendly”

Hotel SB Express Tarragona
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Tarragona
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Far from the centrum this hotel,not friendly at all.
no fridge in the room.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel SB Express Tarragona

Reviewed 1 August 2010

The reason our stay was so disappointing was the air-conditioning they advertise was not working at all our entire stay. There was no mention of this on the website when we booked which I believe is done on purpose so as not to discourage business but it is this reason we will never stay with SB Express hotels again! It seemed as though the air-con had not been working for a while and there was not set time for it being fixed. They lied to us several times when we asked about it. One time saying it was working a little, a second time saying they had a new part installed but it did not seem to be working, a third tme saying they were waiting for a part and a fourth time saying they expected someone would be coming to fix it in the next few days. One man on the reception did once admit it was not working, but no one else would say this, only saying one of the above things.
They would not help us at all, we did not sleep barely at all either night we stayed and checked out two days earlier than expected. They would not give us ice for cold drinks to make up for the heat in the room, would not provide a fan instead and did not even apologise any of the times we asked about the air-con. Even when we checked out two days early they did not apologise when we informed them of the reason for the early departure. No service, no smile, they did not even pretend to be sorry for the disappointing stay we had. No c ompensation offered at all!!

There also appeared to be bed bugs in our room as both my partner and myself had bites all over us when we woke up each morning which were not there the night before. I believe it was this hotel´s fault.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Aroae, Gerente at Hotel SB Express Tarragona, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

First of all, I am very sorry about your dissapointing. It is true that our air-conditioning was working only at 50% during 4 or 5 days. This is not our fault, it happened, and it was repared as soon as it was possible. This is a big machine with 2 compressors, and 1 of them was not working. It is a big reparation, of a big sume of money, and it was repared in less than 1 week in JULY!. (BUT it was working,50%, but working). It was explained each guest arrival and due to that reason, we gave during those days 2 keys for each room (one to open the door and one to be installed during 24 hours in the room. This was the solution during those days to "cool" the room).
If i had knew about that, I had looked for a solution, sure.
But bed bugs???? where??? I am very sorry but this is not true!! Coult you tell us your room number to check it? (this happened last year due to a guest ! it was not our fault, but it was solutioned. If you know about that theme you will understand me.
I apologise for your dissapointing. Please, contact direct wit me, sandra Salas, Hotel manager, and i give you a free stay to check that it was a puntual problem that has been solutioned, and you can write again here about your stay. And.. you will see that THERE IS NOT BED BUGS!I wait for your answer as soon as possible.
email: ssalas@sbgrup.com

Reviewed 16 November 2009

Have stayed at this hotel several times and was always one of my favorites in Spain (travel with bands throughout Spain). However, this past Saturday (Nov. 15, 2009) I was attacked by bedbugs (I actually saw them).

Have been to the emergency room twice due to my allergic reaction: was given a shot and am now on steroids. I called the hotel and told them about my awful experienc. After 24hrs I am still waiting for a call back.

In short, if you stay at this hotel search for bedbugs. I stayed with 12 musicians and only I had an allergic reaction (not sure if there were bedbugs in the other rooms or if none of my colleagues are allergic to bedbug bites).

FYI, my room number was 407.

I WOULD NOT SAY AT THE SB AGAIN AND RISK GOING THROOUGH WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH NOW... A NIGHTMARE!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank tapena
Aroae, DIRECTORA HOTEL at Hotel SB Express Tarragona, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2009

I was talking by phone with Mr. Pena last 18th november. I explained him that I could not contact before because I have been mamá and i was no working when he phone me. I explained him that we phoned to ETHYCA, a plague specialist firma and they confirmed it.They explained that the reason for that, in our case, it was not dirtiness, because everything is very clean.(that proves Mr.Pena has repeat in our hotel several times). Only, that, one guest got caught in his suitcase, only for that, it could be the reason. What is true is that was he first time it happens since the hotel opened in 2002.We closed all the floor during 1 week with a treatment, and we renoved all furniture (bed, matress, blanket, towels,sheets..).Mr Pena understood everyhting and accepted my apologizes. Next time he comes back to our hotel, his reservation will be free. I accepted it.

Reviewed 10 November 2009

My wife and I booked this hotel for 27pounds per night, in October 2009. We were nervous of this as this rate was so cheap, but were very pleased with the stay we had here. The hotel is very clean, is in a very nice and safe area and the room we had was huge (which was just a standard double). Parking was available on the street but be warned the spanish tend to bumper park their cars so be prepared for a mark if you are going too.

The hotel is in an area being developed so there is some construction going on nearby, it didnt bother us, but their was some noise from it. This might explain the hotel rate. I would guess that most of the construction would be finished by early 2010, as a lot looked almost done.

Our room had a good double bed, safe, widescreen TV (CNN English), seperate sofa pullout and aircon. Bathroom had an excellent shower with good pressure and was very clean. Rooms were made up well every day.

Location is probably a 2-3k walk to the beach. About 1.5k to the town, but the walk is easy along a brand new promenade. Yes its not right in town, which is why the location rating is only a 3, but its really no problem.

Service was very good, didnt really need to use them that much but when we did speak to reception they were very nice. Spoke English too which was a bonus.

Value was simply outstanding.

Check out the pictures of the hotel on google images, as they give a better representation of the hotel, i thought the ones on trip advisor made the hotel look like it was in a dark and dingy area which it isnt at all.

WiFi is available for free throughout the hotel. There is a computer point which you have to pay for (8e per hour or something). There are internet cafes in tarragona for 1e per hour nearby.

The breakfast was included in the price and was pretty good. Nice coffee, and continental food, standard for budget hotels. We ordered a couple of other things from the cafe which were reasonably priced and good. The cafe is very smokey though, due to them allowance cigarette´s inside, which might be a problem for some. All rooms and inside the hotel are non smoking.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichnKel
Reviewed 23 August 2009

A group of us were arriving at 7.30pm in Barcelona and heading south to Benicassim Festival. Needed somewhere cheap and cheerful along the way to stay over night and this was a perfect choice. A new hotel on the outskirts of town just off the Autopista so easily accessible and we were able to park on the street outside (but there was a parking building opposite as well). We booked a quad and a triple - the only downfall was that we were single travellers so two of us had to share a bed. Not the end of the world given we were going to be camping together for 5 days! Would definetely recommend this for people doing similar journey. Apparently Tarragona is a lovely town but we only saw it at night. We did get a taxi down to the harbour for dinner as it seemed quite far away, but we did walk back which took about half an hour. So not ideal if wanting to explore Tarragona and be in the thick of it.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2009

If you are looking for just a nice clean bed for the night then this hotel is for you. Spotlessly clean and spacious with large double bed, sofa bed, tv (no english language channels), in room safe. A small cafe/snack bar in the hotel which is OK but service very slow, typically spanish! No tea/coffee making facilities or fridge in the rooms. 10 minute walk to bus station and about 45 mins walk to train station and/or beach. Car hire office within hotel and a drinks vending machine in reception area.

Street market on tuesday offers good value for money. Plenty of restaurants and ice cream parlours to choose from, once you have walked for about 30 minutes slightly up hill. If you dont like a walk then please dont book this hotel. Supermarket about 5 mins away.

The beach (platja miracles) is clean and sandy (no stones) but only wc available are 2 porta loos!

We caught a taxi from Reus airport to this hotel at a cost of 28 euros. On the way back we took the bus which took the same amount of time (10 mins) at a cost of 3 euros each.

Although basic with few amenities I would recommend this hotel for business users or for a short break (3 or 4 days).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2007

The hotel was excellent for a three star, clean spacious rooms no fussy staff. Service deadly slow at their cafe, but when in Spain, think Spanish. There is a superior tapas bar on the opposite side of the roundabout that the hotel sits at. This bar is a must, great for a last nibble at night, try the goats cheese and strawberry jam?
Yes the hotel is not in the centre of things but its not so far, its a straight road and although its uphill into the town its downhill back to the hotel. Anyway it helps to build your appetite. Tarragona is a lovely town, very Spanish no tourist stuff here so you have to try your spanish, mine isnt so good but they like you to try and the locals are friendly and will help. Loads too see, loads too do, great bars and restaurants we will be back to explore again and will probably go back to the same hotel.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank SHEUGH