“Shame about the staff!”

Gallo Moron
Ranked #133 of 708 Restaurants in Tarragona
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Great restaurant, simple but delicious food, tapas or a la carte, good wine selection. Very reasonable prices.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Lovely location, shame about the attitude and 'helpfulness' of the staff! Called in here about a week ago fully intending to stay for lunch. But after the almost hostile reception as we ordered drinks decided to try elsewhere. Perhaps she was having a bad day (it was extremely hot) but other would-be diners seemed to be getting the same treatment.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It's tapas week in Tarragona and this restaurant is participating (3€ for a drink and the tapa). I arrive with my girlfriend on a quiet night and unbelievably the waitress stops taking the order of a couple and barks "What do you want?". I tell her we can wait till she finishes taking their order then say we're here for the tapa. Dismissively she indicates a nearby table. The white wine we ordered was a very oxidised style, which we weren't expecting. Imagine our surprise when upon bringing the food she demanded "6€". As if we were about to run off. We felt very unwelcome. The food was ok, my girlfiend though it was quite good. This is not some tourist not understanding thing, I've lived in Spain for 10 years - this waitress was plain rude, unwelcoming and I won't be back.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

I last wrote a review of this restaurant in 2013 and I have since been back in 2015 and again in September 2017 and the "menu of the day" taken at lunch time is still consistently good. Don't expect fine dining, what you get is a decent three course lunch at a decent price (15.50 euros), wine is extra but a bottle of house wine at 8.50 euros doesn't break the bank. I asked my two friends who were dining with me (who also accompanied me in 2015) to score it out of 5 and each independently said 5. I've given it 4 only because it is not a fine dining restaurant.
The restaurant is in a small square at the bottom of the steps that lead up to the Cathedral (which is also well worth a visit). There are two other restaurants also in this square which I haven't tried so make sure you pick the right one. It's the one at the back partially hidden behind a screen.
Would I go again?.......without a doubt.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

i was expect nice lunch because it is our last day in spain.after the church we walk in and order day menu.the waitess is friendly but when i saw the paella.Oh my god.
It was green paella and not much in only rice and some schelp of mussel.and the rice is not ready.The rice still hard.i cant eat it.sorry and they serve without typical paella pan.
It s the most bad paella i ever eat in my life.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

My friend from Germany wanted Spanish food. He ordered the lunch menu with paella. What arrived was soft rice with 3 shrimp and 3 pieces of shellfish, all of which looked like some kind of rejects. The shrimp were so small and dry he did not bother peeling them. The main course looked like the leftover parts of someone else's meal. I thought it was kind of disrespectful to think that this would pass as an acceptable lunch were we come from. Salad and coffee were ok though.