“Excellent Catalan food”

Ranked #149 of 598 Restaurants in Tarragona
Price range: US$22 - US$33
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Grill
Good for: Kids, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Petaluma, California
“Excellent Catalan food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

It's difficult to believe that the place got any bad reviews, but I was solo on a relaxed Friday night in March; there were only 7 tables occupied at 1030. The place is charming-farm implements adorn the walls, there's a brass fireplace, beamed ceiling, white tablecloths and hewn wooded chairs with outside tables. The service was average for Spain. It's a carnivore's type of place; there's rabbit, veal, stomach and other entrails, many types of seafood including carpaccio de bacalao (cod), and the standards. I had verduras a la plancha since I was craving veggies (9,80); 2 kinds of mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, asparagus, potato, and artichoke were asado perfectamente. I followed with calamarcitos with garlic and parsley: 2 fresh tubes grilled with wisps of onion rings(13,00). There was a range of interesting desserts most of which were unfamiliar and unusual. I had manzana al horn, not so unusual and it was served hot-excellent. After desset, the waiter brought me a shot of xantiament-he said it was from orujo de hierbas. It was strong, slightly sweet, and tasty. My bill with 2 glasses oh house white was 43,00 E. The folks next to me had thin slices of meats and veggies that they grilled (they way overcooked it) on flat stones with sterno underneath. There was also a special spring menu (described elsewhere) for 32,00 fixe. The place was quiet, interesting, and romantic. Great rec from the AC.

• Visited March 2014

Reading, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

We asked the hotel concierge for somewhere "less touristy" and were directed to Passadis. Luckily one of our party spoke some Spanish as the staff only had limited English (well, we did ask).

With lots of sign language, written notes and a great deal of good humor we managed to place the order for our party of 8...

All I can say was the food was fantastic, the staff were great, we were kept supplied with copious quantities of wine and beer - one of the best meals I've had for a long time.

Unhurried, full of character and great atmosphere...... I would fully recommend this place to anybody who wants to experience something a bit more authentic Catalan.

Will return if I visit the city again - and the price? €35 per head 3 courses, coffee, water, wine and beer including tip.

• Visited September 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“AVOID! Taking advantage of tourists!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

A place that you must AVOID when in Tarragona! We have been charged 40 euro for 2 cokes and for few small pieces of meat we had to cook ourselves...that was meant to be a "big grilled variety of meat to share"! ! At the end we were hungrier than we were when we went there!! The worst place we have ever been in Tarragona!! To AVOID!

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank Zuper M
Tarragona, Spain
“Very good quality for price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

My favourite restaurant to organise lunch with co-workers. Great food: simple, no frills but very nice. Good variety of Catalan, homemade-style food. Their set menu is very good and the price is around 10€... a bargain this days!
The place has a "country house" look. Service can be a little slow sometimes if they're busy, but a tip if you go in a large group: phone or email them in advance, tell them which and how many dishes you're going to have and they'll have them half ready by the time you get to the restaurant.
The location's very good, between Rambla Vella and Plaça Imperial Tarraco, parallel street with Rambla Nova.
And last but not least: their deserts are delicious!

• Visited December 2011
Genval, Belgium
“Landmark in Tarragona”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Very well known for its Catalan and Spanish cuisine, it never disappointed friends and guests to whom I recommended El Passadis.

Visited September 2011