Hotel Spa Relais & Chateaux A Quinta da Auga
Boston
“Flawless!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

There are not enough superlatives to describe my stay at this hotel. I had the privilege of staying here at the end of my camino journey last fall. It was a more than perfect treat at the end of my 5 week trek. Everything about this property says luxury, but it is the understated and welcoming variety, and therefore more genuine. Attention to detail in every regard is clear. The rooms, both common and private, were perfectly appointed.The staff was the most welcoming, efficient and professional that I have encountered, and I travel quite a bit. PILGRIMS TAKE NOTE: I was wary about staying at such a high end property with my low end camino travel wardrobe and not much else. It didn't matter; I was warmly greeted and well cared for. Because of my schedule, I was not able to take advantage of the spa services, but I can only imagine that especially for pilgrims, they would be heaven-sent! The only drawback, again - especially for pilgrims - is that it is on the outskirts of town and must be reached by cab or car. Do not let that deter you, it is worth the slight cost for the 4 km or so trip. You will be so glad you did not miss this lovely oasis. Kudos to the entire team at A Quinta da Auga - you are true hospitality experts!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Javakwn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in the outskirts of Santiago but only 4km by car from Praza de Obradoiro.  We spend three nights  in Santiago; 2 nights at Parador de los Reys Catolicos and 1 night at Quinta da Auga and we were very happy with that arrangement. The location of the Parador can not be beaten but it is a large and very busy hotel. Thus,  it is not the ideal place for relaxation. Quinta da  Auga is smaller, has an intimate atmosphere, spacious rooms nicely decorated, friendly staff and the best water circuit that a Spa could possibly have. If you visit Santiago, specially if you are a pilgrim, you definitely should spend  sometime at Quinta da Auga Spa and sleep at least one night at this luxury hotel. We did not eat at the restaurant but breakfast was delicious and the tapas at the café were tasteful. One minor complaint; the restaurant and the café were clearly understaffed during our stay , therefore service was a bit slow. It was the 1st of January and we were told by the manager that the chef had  sent most of the staff home so that they could spend the holiday with their family. Fair enough.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cia2travel
Praia de Esmoriz, Aveiro, Portugal
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The grounds, the facilities, the staff... Every thing is excellent. A place to return very soon! Lovely rooms, with stunning views over the property with a river around the Hotel. Amazing restaurant with incredible food!
Lovely lovely place near one of the most beautiful cities in spain!
Don't choose another Hotel in Santiago, you will understand the reason when you arrive there!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jose Antonio Ga... M
Cordeiro, RJ
Reviewed 7 November 2013

It's as close to perfection as it gets! The decor is impecable, perfectly mixing the old stone building with all these luxurious and lavish wall papers and furniture. The bathroom was a dream come true, and i really loved the ammenities. The hotel scent was really pleasant. The breakfast was the best we got on spain, and probably one of the best we ever had. Sure they could have a wilder selection of pastries and cakes, but what they got was impecable.
We had an amazing diner on the restaurant, with a perfect steak and a delicious bread crusted cod fish. It was a little expensive, though, for spanish standarts.
The garden was beautiful, but unfortunately the river side path was closed (it did rain a lot on the previous week).
We took the spa circuit, and it was very relaxing and pleasant. The spa treatments were quite expensive, so we took none.
The service was really good, but I had asked previously for a room with the nice wall paper, and got a room with plain painting. Don't get me wrong: it was still amazing, but I really love their wallpapers, and I was a little disapointed that they overlooked such a simple request. Was too tired after the camino and didn't complain, though. Still wish I had.
All in all, it's an amazing hotel, and the perfect end to the Camino de Santiago de Compostela.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We were not disappointed in any way, it was just what we needed after traveling, its outside the city, feels like you have been transported in time.
After taking pic. of the grounds,and decor, we headed off to take advantage of their extensive pool and spa area. Dressed for a very romantic dinner, (9pm seating) and enjoyed every bit of it.
I Love the linens and comfortable bed, (very important to me) and all the antiques, the furnishings,accessories, and the amassing chandler, the reference to Audry Hepburnm, added to the art deco and French touches here and there, n the bar area.
Met the owners such talented architects, they bought this old 18 century paper factory, down by the creek, in 2003 and it took 5 years of renovation, and turn it into a beautiful chateau hotel. Wish we could have stayed here longer!!! Thanks for the labor of Love.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed with my family for 2 nights in Aug 2012 there for my sister's wedding . hotel is a cute building in middle of green and beautiful hills about 10 minutes far from Santiago old town . there was a small little river and waterfall on back of the building and with the quiet environment of hotel you can hear the river which it was very relaxing and nice . staff were very friendly & in 2.5 days that I was there we met the manager and her very friendly cat 2 times and every time she asked if we are comfortable and we are enjoying our time in her hotel . most of the staff spoke and understand English perfectly . rooms were clean with very nice with fresh & cosy decoration, we had 3 rooms there so I noticed there were all different in decoration & they were all beautifully designed . my room were HUGE with sky blue walls and wooden floor with very beautiful wooden window opened to the garden , from the first day I settled in my rooms I had the internet radio installed on my side bed wall , on Jazz channel which it made an amazing combination of music, nature, freshness of my room for me and even now after a year when I close my eyes and think about it , it put a small on my face :)
food were perfect , I tried breakfast and lunch in hotel's restaurant and the special meal that they prepared for wedding night and they were all DELICIOUS .
room service were very fast and perfect .

I love to stay again in a Quinta da Auga if I travel again to Santiago de Compostela

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have been in this hotel in summer! Very very nice and cozy. Flowers everywhere. Very clean and good designed rooms. SPA is excelent. Stuff is friendly and helpful and giving you a feeling like you are at friends place. We didn't have a chance to try cuisine in the restaurant, but looking forward to come back here again. Despite the fact that hotel is quite far from Santiago, it takes a few minutes to reach downtown by taxi.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends