“Great room, gorgeous breakfast”

Hotel Pazo de Altamira
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a lovely place to stay. We had a triple room on the third floor. Light, airy and comfortable, very stylish. The 2 young women on reception when we arrived which great, extremely welcoming and helpful, spoke great English which was very welcome due to our embarassing lack of Spanish skills.
The breakfast was delicious. Not the largest selection I've ever seen but fresh local food, bread, cheese, fruit, yoghurt, honey, tomatoes. It really was one of the loveliest hotel breakfasts I've ever had as the quality of the food was exceptional.
We had one evening meal at the hotel. I found this a little disappointing and would not repeat. It was fairly expensive and portions not over generous. This did not diminish from the value we received for our bed and breakfast deal and I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Although it is a bit labyrinthine to get there, once you arrive it is an amazing place. Well located, I mean it is a nice walk away from the tumultuous Santiago de Compostela haunts. All those restaurants with pricey and bland foods. The hotel is right across a Church. Don't worry you won't hear a thing. The building is modernized and sound proof. It is an amazing place with a view, depending your room. It is a great place for couples and for walking around Santiago and then returning to a relax atmosphere. The people are amazing, meaning the staff. Maria Jose is awesome, what a hostess, what a great concierge and person. She is very attentive and ready to help. She was our savior in giving us directions to get there. I would highly recommend this place and would love to return when the weather abates and gives us at least some days of sunshine. Overall, we made this our home base to travel around Galicia and it was worth it. The market is right around the corner, the food and veggie market that is, and also fine spirits, such as the Albariño wine. Comfy rooms, shower is awesome, beds, the complimentary robes, and the attention to detail makes this the place to stay in Santiago.

Room Tip: Select a room that has the view towards the church on the second floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Our friends booked this hotel for our one night stay en route to Portugal - the hotel was helpful in supplying us with information re car parking and on our early arrival they took our bags and ensured they were in our rooms later that day. The location is perfect - beside the market - and a short stroll to the cathedral. The staff were very friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely pleased to see us. Our room was great - lovely big comfortable bed, small balcony with table and chairs, a safe for our valuables and a clean bathroom with a toilet kit full of treats!! even a hair dryer.

We had a light breakfast - delicious homemade jams and again, welcoming service. Am hoping to return with friends next year for a slightly longer stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Very clean - 72 euros a night - would stay again

Good location - easy access to the rest of the old town - bed was comfortable with good lighting - Plenty of storage and a safe for valuables - clean bathroom

Staff were fantatastic - very helpful - after an early arrival they sorted us out so that when we came back our bags were already in our room

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank kiwi-traveller-PS
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Think about everything you want from a hotel then book in at the Altamira, the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful advising us on what to see, sorting us out with maps and directions it was as if they had know us for years. The rooms were spotless, spacious, nice and bright, the bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home with me, the atmosphere in the restaurant was very relaxed but remained very professional, I dont even know where to start with the food, amazing...,I would fly back for the pulpo alone, you have to try it.The choice from the breakfast buffet was excellent and the service again was not rushed but always efficient, the wifi was very good and the location was perfect for exploring the old town and Cathedral which is very impressive, even the taxi service back to the airport was prompt, I can't wait to go back, this is a gem.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 964matthewg
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel. The staff were so friendly and helpful, they really made you feel you were home from home. 3 out of 5 of us were vegetarians and the Chef had no problem creating seasonal tasty meals on demand. The ambience in the restaurant was very relaxing with a wonderful choice of background music. To the extent I actually asked what they were playing and if I could get a copy. Turns out it was from Spotify, so now I have a lasting memory of my stay there every time I play the playlist.
The rooms were bright, clean and spacious with great views out onto the courtyard. They even had a lovely deep bath to soak in after a 120km walk to get there!
They also have a computer / tea, coffee / TV / reading / game room on the 4th floor for all guests to use at their disposal which I thought was a lovely space and gesture. It seemed to me that it could have easily been turned into another bedroom.
I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is centrally located in the old town and a short walk from the Cathedral. It also looks onto the local market which is a hive of activity, especially on a Saturday, closed on Sundays.

The shop / café bar assistants are friendly and helpful, but not all of them have English so brush up on your Spanish before you go. Also be warned, the only shops you will find open in Santiago on a Saturday afternoon and Sunday are the tourist souvenir type shops.

Room Tip: I don't know whether the rooms facing the market would be subject to noise, but in case they are...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lara O
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Everything other reviewers have said about this excellent hotel is true. Even if I hadn't been craving crisp sheets, fluffy towels and a long hot soaking bath after waking the Camino for several weeks, I am sure I would still love this hotel.
The staff were friendly and caring and very helpful. WiFi good.
Stay here.