Roots & Boots
Parador Hostal Dos Reis Catolicos(Santiago de Compostela)
US$517
US$462
  • Restaurant
NH Collection Santiago de Compostela(Santiago de Compostela)
US$149
US$137
Eurostars Araguaney(Santiago de Compostela)
US$100
  • Pool
Altair Hotel(Santiago de Compostela)
US$135
US$131
  • Bar/Lounge
Gran Hotel Los Abetos(Santiago de Compostela)
US$97
US$92
Hotel Compostela(Santiago de Compostela)
US$119
US$100
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Hotel Pazo de Altamira(Santiago de Compostela)
US$153
US$106
US$66
Tryp Santiago(Santiago de Compostela)(Great Value!)
US$86
US$78
Melia.com
US$245
US$225
Agoda.com
All reviewsnice gardenold townfacilitiescaminoloungespanish
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

After 28 days of walk the camino de Santiago this was the perfect place to stay before continuing on to muxia and finisterre. Small room of 6 and a lovely backyard. It has a kitchen also with private showers on the second floor. Located along the camino finisterre route.

Down side they do not honor their discounts. They said I had to book on line which is not what it says.

Online the hostel is $12 and in person is $15. Just book it online.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The friendly staff and the fact that the bathrooms were always clean is a great plus at this hostel. You have free wifi and clean sheets and towels for 18 Euros. The bed at the top is really hard to make. Overall is a good hostel, 10 minutes away walking from the cathedral and has a nice view of it from your room.

Room Tip: If you are traveling in a group of 4 ask for a 4 bed bedroom and they will give you the key so you can leave your belongings there without worrying
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ocecena
Reviewed 16 August 2012

This was one of the most disappointing hostels we stayed in in Santiago and it was a real shame we ended up staying there after completing Camino de Santiago. I wouldn't call Roots and Boots an albergue as in my opinion it is not pilgrim orientated, but rather a place to stay for groups of teenagers getting drunk in Santiago. We were located in an interior room which didn´t have a window but a door that opened to a passage and chill out area and an entrance to showers. This literally meant we felt as if people were walking through our room and showering a meter away- that's how noisy it was. There was no view of the cathedral, the doors do not lock and the place was extremely noisy. I certainly wouldn't stay there again and do not recommend it for pilgrims who seek peace and a good sleep after the Camino.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lyrebirdxx
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Almost everything about this stay was disappointing. First, we stayed here on the nights of July 25 and July 26. July 25 is the Day of Santiago so the whole city is in huge celebration- that being said, prices are raised higher than normal. We paid 26 Euros a person (about $35) per night. Now, I know that doesn't sound like much, but my husband and I stayed here (after hiking the Camino de Santiago) and for 2 people, that's like $70- we could have stayed in a cheap hotel with a private room and bathroom for that much.

First, the place is cramped. The hallways are small, the rooms are small with the beds very close to each other. We had 6 beds in our room, which is not much, but the hallways and rooms are not "backpacker" friendly- meaning with your pack on, if you turn around you will bump into everything. Second, the website advertises that there is a view of the cathedral from every room. That is a lie. We did not have a view- we looked out into the courtyard, which wasn't a big deal but don't advertise it if it's not true. Also at night the yard was loud and filled with people drinking from the hostel. Third, the website says it is a 2minute walk from the cathedral- and that is not true either. It IS pretty close. But there are cheap hotels (50 Euros) that are much closer and apartments you can rent a room in for 20 Euros that are closer. I walked as fast as I could one day (I was late meeting someone) and it took me over 5 minutes to get there (again not a bit deal- but don't advertise it if it's not true), and there are 2 large hills so you literally go uphill both ways. It was not a nice walk.

Additionally, we shared with our room and the room across from ours (probably around 20 people total) a tiny bathroom with 1 toilet and shower in the same room so if someone was showering, you couldn't use the toilet, and in the 2 nights we were there, there were often lines waiting for the bathroom. Finally, there was no soap in the bathroom (this is typical of albergues in Spain but I thought for being a little more expensive than the typical 5 Euro a night hostel, it might at least have hand soap).

There are multiple levels, which we didn't have too much of a chance to check out- maybe upstairs was nicer, I don't know. I do know that my husband stayed there a few days earlier on his own, and he cooked in a kitchen upstairs. When we got there, we went upstairs to cook in the kitchen, and it was gone. It had been torn out. We asked about it, and it had been moved outside. They were also putting on a new patio roof, doors, etc while we were there so I think they were in the middle of reconstructing the place. The courtyard, which looked super cute in the pictures, was a disaster. There were a few nice places to sit, but if you walked to the back, it was like a junkyard- piles of random stuff everywhere. The kitchen was small but decent, but right outside the kitchen looked like what should have been a bar or game area with ping-pong tables or something- but it was all extremely dusty and filled with random parts of things. It looked like an old abandoned part of a building. I certainly hope the whole place is being re-done and that is why there was random junk everywhere, but considering it was a mess and construction was going on while we were there, I really think the price should have been discounted. I feel like we got taken advantage of big time and it was NOT worth the price.

Overall, this place has LOTS of potential. The people working there were very nice. The property has the potential to be gorgeous, but it was a mess when we were there. The building has the potential to be very cute, but kind of annoying for backpackers- I would take some beds out of the rooms to make them more spacey, and less people to share the tiny bathroom. Actually, they need to just make the bathroom bigger. And, the price is just too high. My husband and I paid 104 Euros for 2 nights- that's like $140- which was not worth it. You could get a hotel room for 50 Euros easily, and there are alot of places where you could "rent" a room for a night and have a private room and a private bathroom for as low as 20 Euros a night for the whole room, NOT per person- we stayed in one that we found through hotel Costa Vella- the hotel was full but the manager set us up with a room and it was really nice! I would definitely recommend that instead of Roots and Boots, unless Roots and Boots makes alot of changes. I was highly unimpressed.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank learntolive
Reviewed 6 July 2012

What we were expecting for the price. Staff were helpful,bedding & towels spotless as were the showers,always clean & tidy.Good facilities,including TV & free wi fi. Price of the wine & beer vg. Rooms a little cramped for four big guys,but we made the most of it and really enjoyed meeting people from all parts of the world.We had a great time during our three day stay.Plus,we did have a view of the Cathedral.Thanks to all.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends