“Very good, friendly hotel”
Review of Hotel Entrecercas

Hotel Entrecercas
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We stayed for six nights at the end of June. My husband and I had room 22. The room was very nice, the bed large and comfortable, and the sloping roof made the room looks like a nest!!! The hotel was quiet and friendly, the staff (although they speak no English) was friendly and helpful. The price was good (value for money). Only a stone away from the Cathedral and from the commercial streets, a good location to explore the old town. The breakfast was minimal - orange juice, bread and croissant, tea or coffee but you could have as much as you wish.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Entrecercas

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I loved this little hotel. They provided my friend and I with lovely single rooms, next door to each other, numbers 13 and 14. Mine had a lovely long balcony. The bed was so comfortable and the shower/toilet spotless and spacious. I felt so relaxed in this hotel, it has a very good vibe. The entrance is very stylish and a lovely little place to read and relax. I would love to return. The only consideration would be staying here during a busy period as the walls are very thin. It would be my top choice for an out of season break.

Room Tip: An out of season gem....the cafe/bar next door serves lovely coffee served with free cake/baguette w...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank carlitas
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We stayed here for four nights at the end of February. My husband and I had room 21 and my son and mother-in-law had room 22. Our room was very large, but it had the sloping roof of the attic and so you had to crouch frequently. For example, any time I had to use the bathroom I had to lean over as I made my way from my side of the bed, and I am not a tall woman (5'3"). Also the walls are so thin that we could hear my mother-in-law and son talking and they could hear us. At night we could hear other guests on other floors.

That said, the reason to stay here is the staff, especially Santiago who works in the evenings. He is charming, friendly, funny and has excellent recommendations. All of the staff, though strive to help in whatever ways they can. I've never encountered a friendlier, warmer group of people more eager to help or make your stay more pleasant.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank wombat1223
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Nice little albergue close to Cathedral at Santiago de Compostela, the end of the Camino. Nice, very welcoming and friendly staff, including Veronique, who was both helpful and knowledgeable, as well as fluent in a number lf European languages - a great resource! All up, a good little find.

Peter ORourke

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2008

We read the reviews on this website and booked on the strength of them but I cannot believe that nobody else has commented on the noise from the narrow street on which the hotel is situated! The hotel owners are lovely and as previously stated by many here are VERY friendly and helpful. We had a room on the 1st floor overlooking the street (No. 12 - be warned!) and OK it was Saturday night when we arrived so you might expect it to be be 'lively'. The revelry went on until about 4 in the morning and we later found out there is a club a few yards down the street. We had the windows and shutters firmly closed but were still kept awake. The next two nights were slightly better but there is still the noise of the bars clearing up and the dustbin lorry doing its job and then quite early in the morning the street being washed down.
The shower was 'hit and miss' It was either too hot or very cold if other guests had been using theirs!
The breakfast provided is minimal - jug of orange juice, bread and croissant, tea or coffee and on two out of the three mornings we had plain yoghurt as well - don't know why it wasn't provided the first morning! It would have been lovely to have some fruit with it. However, to be fair we were asked each day if we wanted more.
There was no hairdryer in the room but by using a bit of sign language and the spanish phrasebook the older gentleman on the reception desk was more than happy to provide one. This is an extremely patriotic area and (rightly so) English or any other European language are not widely understood so be prepared to use your phrasebook and attempt to converse in Spanish or indeed in the local Galician dialect.
The hotel is in a great location for exploring the old town which is beautiful and there are numerous bars and restaurants nearby, although I would recommend that you walk just a bit further beyond the street immediately behind the hotel which seems to be "tourist alley"! with its tanks of octopi and lobsters. It is a fish/seafood lovers paradise here by the way!
We had a lovely short break, the weather was fantastic, the people are very friendly - would I use the same hotel again-probably not because of the noise from the street and on walking around we saw others within the old city that seemed to be in quieter locations. Would I recommend Santiango de Compestela as a place to visit - DEFINATELY!
One other bit of advice - don't bother with the land train that runs from the Cathedral Square. It costs 5 Euros each - not much granted - but its hard to understand the English translation, takes you round the bits beyond the old city and through a lot of the modern university campus - well you can do that at home when you take your son/daughter to any uni in this country!

Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed 24 September 2008

Just returned from a 4 day break in Santiago de Compostela, staying at Hotel Entrecercas, and the staff were probably the most friendly, helpful and pleasant people one could ever wish to meet.

We arrived late at night and were shown to a ground floor room, which we were uncomfortable with, but upon asking if there was another room available we were quickly shown a room on the top floor without any problem whatsoever, which was great.

Although the building is old, which means the rooms are not massive, the showers, facilities etc are all very modern.

Breakfast was included in the very reasonable price, and although limited to orange jucie, croissants, coffee etc, this was enough to start the day with, especially as there are so many bars, cafes & restaurants in the surrounding area.

If you intend to visit and arrive by taxi, make sure you asked to be dropped in the Avenida Rodrigo de Padron, close to the police station, and the hotel is probably only 100 metres walk away. Our taxi driver chose to drop us some distance away which entailed a lengthy walk, through the narrow streets, which at 22:30 we could have done without!

SdC is a really nice & hospitable place, especailly, the old part, and the bars near to Entrecercas are all really good, Marte, Las Vegas etc. If you want to push the boat out a bit, the restauarant in the San Clemente is excellent, tough a little more expensive, but excellent food ( I think I had the biggest steak ever here!) Again, very close to the hotel 500 metres or so.

We can recomend the hotel and it's staff most highly following our stay, and hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Rob & Maria

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RobHaughton
Reviewed 27 August 2008

After an extended week in Galicia we spent a few nights in Santiago and stayed here based upon the existing reviews. We were not disappointed.

The hotel made my wife and me and (more importantly) our two children extremely welcome. We had a top floor room with two double beds which placed at either end of a room that stretched the length of the front hotel ensuring we all had our own space.

The location was perfect as, given the hot weather, it enabled us to go out for short walks before the children got too tired and experience the atmosphere of the city. On our first night there was a major street theatre that ran throughout the weekend culminating in a big shown in one of the squares, something that I am sure would have missed if we had been staying further out of town.

The breakfast was typically Spanish (croissants, cereal, coffee, orange juice etc) and the children were given hot milk and cao coca (?) powder which they loved playing chef with. These were the little touches that made our stay memorable.

The hotel is a small family hotel and the staff could not do enough to make us feel welcome and with young children that makes for a perfect holiday

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank blacksheep1