“Possible the nicest café in Santiago”
Review of Costa Vella Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santiago de Compostela
Costa Vella Hotel
Prague, Czech Republic
“Possible the nicest café in Santiago”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I couldn't find Costa Vella café only so writing it for their hotel entry - the café with the sculpture garden, lush vegetation and antique fountain are out of this world, will provide you with everything you need esp. on a hot day when we went (variety of gin and tonic is available at the bar of course)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

When I surreptitiously crosschecked the accommodation for our trip across multiple guide books in the bookstore, this hotel was listed in every one. it is in a great location on the edge of the old quarter. There is no parking onsite but there is a parking lot just a 5 minute walk away. Going the other direction, the Cathedral, which is the epicentre of the old part of town, is also about a five minutes walk. The rooms are simple yet adequate. There is no air conditioning but we did not find that a problem. At night, the hotel suggested we keep the blinds up so as to ensure good air circulation. The major feature of the hotel is a lovely little tea garden, with lots of greenery and nooks and crannies, where breakfast is served. If you are exhausted from the day’s activities, this is a great spot to get a late afternoon cappuccino. I would add that the service is just phenomenal. The staff went out of their way to help us and even let us use their laptop so that we could print our online boarding passes for our onward flight – now a requirement for both Easyjet and Ryanair.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

There are so many rave reviews, I don't have anything original to add. I was attending an Open University Summer School at Santiago University and needed a hotel to stay the last night before my flight home. This hotel was on the OU approved list and I'm very happy that it was. From the booking process via email to the welcome when I arrived, the people could not have been friendlier, warmer or more eager to please. My room was on the second floor, small but perfectly formed, The hotel is ideally situated for wandering round the old medieval town and the cathedral. It also has plenty of resources nearby - a small supermarket opposite, restaurants and bars within a three minute stroll.

I slept very well but did get awoken a couple of times by revellers returning home in the early hours. No big deal, I turned over and went back to sleep.

The next morning, I was served breakfast in the little lounge that overlooks the garden. I didn't want much but they insisted on fetching more small portions of local delicacies to taste. I didn't eat for the rest of that day!

The hotel is very small so if you do fancy staying there, make sure you book well in advance.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
atlanta
Reviewed 18 July 2014

While this hotel is not the easiest to reach, it is worth the effort! The room was delightful, the gardens wonderful and the service impeccable. The folks at the hotel, in the cafe and gardens could not do enough to make our stay more enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We arrived by car and the street had the bollards up that stopped traffic from entering this street. Fortunately this hotel is right next to the bollards so I did not have far to walk to get assistance from the hotel. I was warmly welcomed and clearly advised to drop off the luggage and then park the car (a few streets away but within easy walking distance). The gentleman on reception would not hear of us taking our luggage up the stairs to our room. Our suitcases were quite heavy but insisted without any help. Our room with the bed in it was quite small but efficient; we had a separate lounge area overlooking the garden, which was lovely. The views were great too. Although the bathroom was on the small side, it also did the job. Do not expect any modern glamour here but this place is so worth staying at. All of the staff were accommodating and wanted to make sure that we had the best stay, which we did. We thoroughly enjoyed Santiago De Compostela. This hotel is in a good position to see the sights. We only ate breakfast here and due to it being a bit cold, we ate inside. The breakfast was not huge but adequate for what we wanted. The garden is beautiful to sit and relax, while there is a small inside bar area to enjoy, should the weather turn too cold. Would we stay here again if ever visiting - yes. Thank you to the wonderful staff who were always friendly and felt like family or long time friends.

Room Tip: Over looking the garden is nice but you will hear the noise of people but it does not go on too late...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharonbaby
California
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Well, I want to start off by saying that it seems every guest at Hotel Costa Vella wants to express their sheer delight at having been able to stay at this fine establishment: we are part of that ever expanding group!

Like them, we were also greeted as if we were beloved family that they had been expecting all day. But we arrived in a storm late at night, and not only did Javier give us a warm welcome, he took our luggage up, and he even made sure we'd had dinner. I asked a question about the old city wall, and he took us into the garden to see it, as if it were no bother at all. He told us that they serve breakfast there, as well as indoors. We wanted to make the most of our visit to the old quarter the next day, so he marked up a map with detail so we wouldn't miss a thing.

In the morning, the weather had cleared and we were able to have breakfast on a patio in the garden. The young lady who served us (Ana?) was delightful - very accommodating and efficient. Her service was the perfect blend of attention - explaining the local foods - while still allowing us the tranquility of the morning. Everything was delicious! That garden is a sanctuary, and it's design incorporates lush areas for any kind of relaxation, in addition to being a lovely breakfast locale.

As it turns out, I needed minor medical attention that evening, and asked Javier how to get to an urgent clinic I found online. He knew it was not open, and recommended another option, then called a taxi for us and told the driver where to take us. We were so grateful, because we are both bilingual, but it was our first time in Galicia.

On our last morning, another young man served us breakfast, equally welcoming and attentive. He had a great sense of humor and we enjoyed eating in the enclosed terrace.

I want to mention that our room was an "attic" room, and we felt fortunate to find that available when we booked a couple months ago. That room was cozy, almost like a cabin! Although the family made it very clear it was smaller than their other rooms, we had full amenities and did not feel cramped at all. It was wonderful to be able to open the window and look out over the rooftop after the rain. We could see many beautiful buildings from that vantage point, and it was very quiet.

As we checked out, we commented to Antonio that we travel frequently and have rarely found the level of hospitality that was extended to us at Hotel Costa Vella. We do not expect it, and find it extraordinary. The best thing I can say about this remarkable spot is that Hotel Costa Vella could BE the destination for a visit to Galicia.

We are so grateful for this memorable experience.

Room Tip: The staff is eager to place you in a room that suits your needs, and have photos to help ypu choose.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mimiii
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was recommended Hotel Costa Vella by a great friend of mine that studied in Santiago de Compostela when planning a trip there to meet up with friends. When I called from London to book a room, the only one available was the attic room, but instinct told me it would be perfect, but they still insisted on sending me a photograph. When I arrived one early morning, I was greeted like a long lost friend. Antonio should be incredibly proud of having such amazing loyal staff who have excellent customer service skills and go that extra mile to make you feel a part of one very big happy family. The garden is pure tranquility, full of beautiful flowers, trees and birds. The interiors are stylish and soothing on the eye and there is a variety of places to relax. The breakfast and almond cake are something else with delicious local wines.

If you are planning a trip to Santiago de Compostela, a stay at this hotel is a must, or if you are just passing through for the day, please take time to relax over a coffee, glass of something special and enjoy the magical moment to keep in your box of memories.

Thank you to all at Hotel Costa Vella,, you made my short trip there one I will treasure. Best wishes Dawn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends