“REALLY noisy, but economical”
Review of Pio V Hostal

Pio V Hostal
Pio V Hostal
Ranked #17 of 30 Vigo B&B and Inns
Moscow, Russia
“REALLY noisy, but economical”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Bottom line: If you're staying in Vigo for just a day or two, go for it. But if you're staying for a week like I was, or more, I would pass.

The people who run/own/operate the place are EXTREMELY nice and helpful. Not only are they dog lovers like me but they introduced their dogs to me and mine while I waited for them to finish cleaning the room (2:30pm'ish). The woman gave me a map of the city, a map of city bus routes, explained how to get to Samil Beach (which is a 20-30 min. bus ride) and recommended Vao Beach (40-50 min. bus ride).

There wasn't a night however, I got a good night's rest. I stayed in room 206 with my shih tzu. It was tiny, interior, and smelled funny...like a basement. There was no ventilation whatsoever being that it was an interior room. I had both windows open (no A.C.) and all that came in were mosquitos.

The first night there was a group of young kids staying a door or two down from me. They were up until 4am...I know this because I heard them laughing and goofing around until then. Being that I lived for 8 years in New York City and was alone, I didn't go ask them to be quiet...one of the girls kept shush'ing the rest so I let it go. I told the "front desk" (which is the home appliance store next door) the next day and I offered the idea to change rooms if they were going to be staying long. They weren't but the older gentleman offered to let me switch to room 406 (no elevator) so I stayed in 206.

You can hear everything in fact, a couple of nights, I heard the guy in the room next to me snoring! Could have been the apartment across the "ally" however, as I heard every move they made as well...every single day and night either talking, cooking, arguing, laughing etc. I could hear them moving about too so I'm just assuming it is just a building with extremely thin walls and facade.

There isn't a whole lot to see and do in the area...moderate eating options, not much for shopping. I walked almost every evening to the port which was about a 15 minute walk (depending on your pace) downhill and then straight uphill back.

It is great if you don't want to spend a lot of money, I agree with others. If I could go back and re-do it, I would:
1.) stay less days
2.) request an exterior room (for air circulation)
3.) brought less luggage to have stayed higher up and away from the noise??

Room Tip: Exterior, higher up.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Ireland
Reviewed 14 December 2012

This hostal was really great value as we travelled around northern Spain. It seemed to be in a safe area. The room was very clean. The bathroom was pretty small, and the shower head did tend to fall off its hook during showers, but it wasn't a big nuisance. The owner was friendly and very relaxed! Excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PolkaDot O
Matosinhos
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Good value for money! I travelled many times to this hotel with my friends to enjoy Vigo nightlife. We stayed major times for 1,2 nights. The price is very acesible. The rooms are nice and clean you have a TV and free wifi service. The bathroom is private but it is outside of the room.
You can reach the restaurants and bars in a 10minute walk.
The owner is a very nice man! Very helpful and attentive!
When i want to go to Vigo i always stay in Pio V.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends