“great idea”
Review of The Golf Box - CLOSED

The Golf Box
More attraction details
Owner description: Elegant sports bar featuring 5 Full Swing golf simulators and a plethora of other PS3 and XBOX games projected onto our 210" screens. We open 7 days a week from 12:00 and have a full restaurant menu, starting at 17:00 weekdays and all day on the weekends. It's a great place to follow live sport and also to celebrate parties or corporate events.
gibraltar
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“great idea”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

new to gib a great concept something for all a nice menu good selection of beers and wines golf club style bar friendly,
from pool darts motor racing golf what ever you choose it's a great experience at a fraction of the cost
Ian and his staff are proffessional and make you feel at home.

Visited May 2013

“Underwhelming”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is basically a bar with a golf simulator and a playstation. The F1 simulator is more commonly known as gran tourismo 5 with no F1 cars unlocked and a round of golf is a lot cheaper at a real course up the coast. It's okay for wasting an hour or two but definitely not worth a detour

Visited April 2013
Imalondoner1953, Owner at The Golf Box, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
I would like to clarify a couple of points. First and foremost we feature 6, not 1, Full Swing Golf simulators. In addition, each SIM is connected to an external device i.e. PS3 or XBOX Kinect. We do not hide this fact from our clients that they are in fact using a PS3 or XBOX when they request one or other driving or other game. It would be impossible to do so, even if we wanted to, as the welcome screen prior to starting each game is a dead give away. As popular as PS3s and XBOX Kinects are, the user experience when using our gameseats, steering wheels, pedals surround sound and 210" cinema screen is nonetheless totally immersive and impossible to reproduce in a normal home. That is why people come here and are happy to pay for the experience.

Your other reference to the cost of golf: I have been managing golf courses up and down the coast for the past 15 years and am pretty well placed to compare the relative costs. I would never try to compare the two as they are not comparable, but will do so in order to correct your statement. Individual green fees can cost anywhere between 55€ and 300€. To play 18 holes here at The Golf Box will take 4 players maximum 2 hours. The daytime cost is £48 for the period of time, divided into 4 players. This comes to £12 each - far from being more expensive it is much cheaper to play here. A single golfer can play 18 holes here in under an hour at a cost of £8. That said, you are missing the point as urban indoor golf centres are not there to compete with traditional courses. They are there to bridge a gap for businesspeople who cannot get away from the City to practise his/her favourite sport. For most of them time is money, therefore, when they have an opportunity to do something they love to do but due to time restrictions ordinarily could not, generally jump at the idea to get some game time in and still get back to the office within an hour or two. That is why we build such centres. They are first and foremost golf centres but have the additional fun elements such as car racing, dancing, karaoke, virtual darts which can round off a party or work function especially when there are non golfers present and would feel otherwise left out. Also when we have families come to us, the alternate games generally entertain the kids while the parents do something else.

I hope I have addressed your points and would love the opportunity to speak to you personally if you are again in our neighbourhood.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great way to spend an afternoon”
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I initally booked for a Sunday Roast on recommendation from a friend, so I met up with a him and his family. The roast was excellent, I had beef and my friend and his wife had the lamb, Both must have been slow roasted as the meat was delicious and tender, half portions were available for the children also. It would be fair to say the outside doesn not do the inside justice, it's beautifully decorated with all hard would floors, very comfortable seating and multiple TV screens to watch the football. When we finished our food we enquired about playing a round of golf and if the children could also play some games, they played virtual darts for a half an hour and then they were set up on a seperate simulator to play F1 all stars (quite similar to Mario Kart) while myself and my friend played 18 holes on the completely accurate Old St. Andrews course, it's safe to say the owner of this establishment has spared no expense as the clubs are top quality (R11s & RBZ Taylormade), so we spent a number of hours here and we all had a great day out without it costing a fortune! would highly recommend and on my next trip to Gibraltar will go again.

Visited May 2013