“Bodega with tradition,great wines and cordial service”
Review of Bodegas Muga

Bodegas Muga
Ranked #3 of 27 things to do in Haro
More attraction details
Owner description: Bodegas Muga es una bodega familiar fundada en 1932 que se encuentra ubicada en el historico Barrio de La Estacion de Haro. Sus instalaciones, de casi 25.000 Metros cuadrados, estan asentadas sobre un edificio bicentenario, con la piedra y el roble como elementos centrales. Os animamos a compartir con nosotros la pasion por el vino.
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Muga is a must visit when in Rioja region. Due to their popularity, you want to book the tour on time and double check availability - particularly if you need tour in another language than spanish.
The tour is extensive and very informative and you have a chance to taste and purchase the whole selection of their great wines on premises.

1  Thank kmp187309

Reviewed 28 October 2013

I lived near Napa and go there about once a year, so I have been to my share of guided wine tours. If you are in La Rioja, this is one to see. Usually, I would say for a reknown wine maker, try to taste the wine, buy what you want and leave. I do this often in Napa. I understand in La Rioja, if they have a "tienda" you can sample wine o buy without the tour, however, if they don't, you HAVE to make an appointment. I am really glad I didn't know Muga had a tienda, otherwise I might not have made an appointment. It was referred to me by a friend who is a somelier, so I knew the wine was good. However, this TOUR! It was conducted by one of the family members (Muga is ALL family) and it was truly informative! For all of the tours I have been on, this was, by FAR, the BEST!

1  Thank Alikdj
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Reading other peoples reviews I admit that the winery grounds offer nothing special. This is a fully functional winery and hence it does offer anything to the visitor. The area designated for the visitors which includes the area for the wine tasting is very nice, with the extensive use of wood.

The main reason why I would suggest one to visit would be to taste the wine. The winery has a long history and they offer the best wines I tried during my visit in Rioja. Some are really expensive and for a small fee you could taste them all.

The staff is very friendly. If you are pressed with time, or have visited other wineries and are familiar with wine production, then I would suggest opting out of the tour as you will not gain that much.

I strongly recommend this Winery.

1  Thank Marios K
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Really enjoyed the tour and the staff were very helpful, we had not booked but the managed to fit us in.

it was great to see as the bodega uses a traditional method to make there wine, all wood and not metal.

it´s a great tour and a wonderful old building, you get to see every stage of the process and takes about 90 minutes.

A nice little treat at the end of the tasting is a free glass and a cotton bag with the Muga logo on them.

well worth a visit and exceptional value at 8 euros.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I love this winery. I was there 13 years ago and this week. They provide a lot of comforts for tourists now that they did not in the past. But, you need to reserve your visit time, and this costs 8 or 9 Euros for around a 1.5 hour visit with 2 glasses of wine. They have a wine bar with small and large pours of other wines they produce - it's worth trying the Gran Reserva and the Torre Muga.
Our tour was in Spanish, but I speak Spanish, so it was fine with me. Some Dutch visitors found it difficult to understand, and my English speaking colleague missed a lot of the information. The hosts are friendly and informative, and this is a very traditional Bodega with lots of charm and old time methods that are worth learning about. There is no food for regular visits - not even in the wine bar as far as I understood.