“Made to feel part of the family” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Rubio

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Madrid
Hostal Rubio
Ranked #378 of 444 Hotels in Madrid
lawton oklahoma
“Made to feel part of the family”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Here is where you keep your food, here is how we do the wash. Though we don't speak the same language, language is not a problem. Rooms are bit dated but clean. Showers are down the hall, but there are three separate choices. Linens are clean though dated. Location is perfect. Pick from two metro stops with less than 5 min walk. Walk to the Prado or Independence Square.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank okdudee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

Lovely budget accommodation, very close to the centre of Madrid. Basic rooms, impeccably clean, owners go out of their way to help with any concerns (Spanish only). Some rooms with private bathrooms. No AC. Hostal is on the 5th floor of an apartment building about 10 min. walk from Sol.

Room Tip: No AC in the hostal if that's something you are concerned about...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

I’m not usually a Hostal dweller and all I can say is you definitely get what you pay for!

I stayed at this hostal for 2 nights at the beginning of July, the room was extremely basic and despite booking a twin room with a bathroom we ended up with a room with no bathroom and just a sink.

That meant a walk down the corridor to use the loo or have a shower. I wasn’t very comfortable with this especially the second night when my travelling companion had left and I was there on my own.

I returned reasonably early to the hostal on Saturday night as I didn’t want to be walking around the area on my own at night, it was a bit spooky going up in the lift and it was quite dark when I got out on my floor. I had a key for the front door and let myself in, there was no one to be seen and the corridors where in darkness.

I went to bed about 11.30 and had just fallen asleep when someone tried to enter my room, fortunately their key wouldn’t fit and they went away, needless to say I didn’t sleep for the rest of the night.

The room was hot and stuffy, the window had to remain open as there was no lock and only a flimsy curtain across the window, it was obviously one room partitioned off as you could actually lean out of the window and look right into the room next door – not very secure.

The room was at the back of the building so looked down into a courtyard – if that’s what you can call it, the noise carried and all night long there was shouting, screaming and people being ill.

The walls are really thin and you can hear everything through the walls so not a very pleasant experience.

If you are on a very tight budget and don’t mind shared facilities then I suppose this would be a bargain at only €30 a night.

Needless to say I won’t be returning - it was the complete opposite of the Hostal I stayed in the weekend before

Room Tip: I doubt there is a 'best room' here.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Rome
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2008

Well-located, near Tirso de Molina station, in the centre of Madrid. The building is very old but under restore. The room are very small, a little stark but they got cleaned every day. We chose a double with a bath. It's not luxury but it's a strategic location for a 4-days-visit to Madrid. The staff is very friendly and reliable.
Overall a nice place to stay.

• Liked — central location
  • Disliked — small room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple