“I Won't Return to Bangkok”
Review of Bangkok

Bangkok
Ranked #2,013 of 11,003 Restaurants in Madrid
Price range: US$18 - US$25
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centro
Ramat Gan, Israel
“I Won't Return to Bangkok”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I was very tired and Bangkok restaurant was adjacent to my hotel. As I enjoy Thai food, I chose to have my dinner there rather than hunting for a highly rated restaurant.

I have been visiting Thailand for an average of four weeks a year since 1996, and so I think I know a little about Thai food, and this wasn't really Thai food.

I ordered their tasting menu for about 21 Euros. It was comprised of a large variety of small dishes, and I did not leave the restaurant hungry, however I was not impressed by the food. In fact I thought I detected ketchup in the Pad Thai (I can not explain the strange taste any other way), and it did not have the crumbled peanuts which is part of the charm of that dish. Most of the other dishes were, at best, bland.

In a positive vein, allow me to say that the place is clean. The service was friendly. I did not leave the restaurant hungry, and the location is good. However all that is not enough to bring me back to "Bangkok"

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Hanan B

Madrid, Spain
“What happened? Owner change?”
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I've eaten here many times, but after tonight, never and I do mean never again.

Service abysmal, "No, you can't have a Tinto de Verano" (red wine and lemonade, a common drink in Spain in the summer) you have to have a bottle of wine and we don't have lemonade." "No, you can have bottled shandy, we can't make one."

Pathetic spring rolls for starters... two small ones obviously frozen and not fresh. Main courses... a curry swimming in sauce.... closer resemblance to a soup.... and a stomach churning beef pad thai....

Presentation - zero. Service - zero. A smile costs nothing, in the past you were greeted with a smile and it was a pleasure to visit with good Thai food.... now... forget it... you the customer are clearly disturbing some other point of running a restaurant.... it was an effort for them to serve us, serve us they did, rudely and badly.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Florribelle
Redlands, California
“Pleasant setting but somewhat disappointing”
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Located right on the walking street of downtown Madrid, this place is on the second floor and affords a great people-watching view. Its interior is cozy with lots of small tables in nooks. The food was good but disappointing in that it was served only lukewarm. Had to send it back twice - once because they added peanuts even though we 'd told 'em not to and second because the food was cold when served . It did taste good, however. Reasonably priced.

• Visited February 2013
“Delicious Thai in the heart of Madrid!”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I'm always scoping out vegetarian-friendly places during travels and end up defaulting to Indian, Thai, Italian and quick-and-easy Falafel/kebab joints.

Saw Bangkok Thai while walking around. Checked reviews which weren't great but still decided to try it for a meal. Got the veggie green curry, red curry, fried rice, Thai iced tea with some friends. All good. The food was just as tasty as our favorite Thai place back home. Went back for lunch today and had the 12Euro lunch deal which included an appetizer, main course, drink and dessert. Great value! Service was reasonable -- not the best we have experienced in Madrid so far.

Overall, worth checking out of you are in the mood for Thai or are having a tough time finding vegetarian fare in Madrid.

• Visited December 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Thaitastic”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My wife and myself ate the exceptionally good valued menu del dia lunch menu 2 days in a row at this honest, unpretentious Thai restaurant.The food was surprisingly good and the service was attentive.The place was pretty busy at both lunchtimes with a mixture of locals as well as tourists.

• Visited January 2012