“WOULD NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN!”
Review of Hostal Oxum

Hostal Oxum
Ranked #328 of 404 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“WOULD NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

First of all it doesn't have an elevator. So good luck trying to go up 4 flights of stairs with your luggage. The room was noisy as you can hear all the traffic from the street. It was very difficult to sleep since things don't shut down til 2am right below. The lady wasn't helpful at all when asked for help bringing down the luggage when we left the place even though I'm 4 months pregnant. She suggested I pay someone on the street to come help me. For the price, definitely NOT worth it. Could have gotten a better place for that!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Barbie P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 17 March 2014

You kind of get what you pay for...

Good things:
• The location is very good, you can walk to many interesting spots, good restaurants etc. You also have the metro just around the corner.
• The room was quite big, the staff nice and helpfull.

Bad things:
• They do not speak english at all, but if you're willing to try to speak spanish and use your bodylanguage you'll be able to communicate a bit.
• The breakfast is left in your room the day before and contains a toast, yoghurt, juice, milk and a croissanty thing. Look at the dates though, we were served a month old milk two days in a row!
• The worst thing was the temperature, it was SO FREAKING COLD!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zinnipinni
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed 20 September 2013

When I entered the hall way I began worrying about the choice I made. The hall way leading to the Hostel was unattractive and you have to go up three flights of old stairs. However once I went inside I was pleasantly surprised. The room though a bit small was like what I saw in the pictures. I got a lot of amenities this includes, Iron, microwave, hair dryer. The Hostel is within walking distance to a train station and is in a good location. My room was number 2 so it was right by the road and the street can get noisy at nights, you also get breakfast that is placed in your room. I had major issues with the wifi as the router located before my door did not work as such I had to depend on the other which was around the hall way. Persons who were closer to the main router had no issue. I must also state that the staff was pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sanjay L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2013

The entrance to Hostal Oxum is a little strange as it's through a gate and up 3 rickety flights of stairs. Once you get inside though, it's pretty nice. Our room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. The shower was really good and the AC worked well. There wasn't much natural light which was a shame. Breakfast is included but it's put in your room every day and you make it yourself but there's still plenty to eat and it's tasty. The staff here don't speak a lot of English but they were very nice. The hostal is in a good location, close to Gran Via metro and within walking distance of lots of things. It's good value too.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahCH28
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Bad choice!! The A/C leaked and made an awful noise overnight, there was water all over the flor from the leak. As I was taking a shower, the glass dor fell on me, outch!! I saw a roach in the shower overnight as I had to use the toilet. Extending my stay I by mistake booked the 13th of December instead of 13th of September, and was given the run around and no refund, He s]spoke in third person stating that if he is that stupid to not pay attention to the dates he should pay. One good thing that came out of it, he recomended another hostal "corazon de madrid" that is absolutly impecable!!! beautiful, clean design for only 50 euros a night including Wifi!!

Room Tip: make sure to read and ask questions before you book. I mean the shower glass dor fell on me while in...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank manuelinny
Hostal-Oxum-Madrid, Propietario at Hostal Oxum, responded to this review, 21 September 2012
Hello as the good attention and the quality of a service to low cost calls us to ask excuses by the damages because of every client especially upon mentioning in this happened.as every establishment our better intention is to serve, to give the best service and to offer our better affection and affection stretching a hand friend.thing that is almost impossible to be able to please and to satisfy all the deliberate thing the best.want that like the people and human beings without thinking and things of the destiny there is structural objections breaks in one of the drainpipes that service impeded us truly as this client you be it deserves... I touch us to relocate him in a boarding house friend of good quality services and attentions. that suffers truly for us do not we surpass the expectations of our client to qui reflected.as usual we offered him the better possibilities situation that in the end did not be able Improving although we bore the expenses of the relocation and we offered breakfast free in a nearby establishment but in the end no effort was I please of the situation but I give the thanks by its attention and of every heart excuses by alien situations caused to our will. Also I offered a night free in the future by if wants to give us the opportunity to be able service and to offer them the best of our services to a reduction cost in the center of Madrid. Truly you excuse.

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I was surprised to read the comments from others saying the staff was rude, unpleasant, etc.; my experience was nothing of the sort. The staff - particularly Marcelo and Jaime - were very kind and accommodating, and assisted me with all my needs [which, admittedly, were very few].

The location is great, as is the quality of the room, the pleasant disposition of Marcelo and Jaime, the breakfast and coffee service, were all most satisfactory, and I would not only recommend to friends and family, but I also hope to stay there when I return to Madrid.

The only dignificant downside was, IMHO, the stairs. No lift and having to climb 4 of stairs was difficult,to say the least, and I am in reasonably good shape! So, fot the mobility-limited guest, this woulld pose an untenable problem.

Overall, though, my experience will bring me back to this hostal without hesitation!

Room Tip: MY room - room 6 - was just great! I didn't see any other rooms, but there is one, the furthest...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Stirling
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Booked this small hotel, only to find when we got there we were told they were having problems with the plumbing in the exact two rooms we had booked ! Highly suspicious ! Had to trail a few streets away to another hotel right in the middle of the "Red Light/Gay" area with bars/nightclubs and a sex shop below it !! Partying didn't stop till 7am ! Instead of breakfast in the room as advertised in the Oxum Hotel, we were given vouchers for breakfast in a tiny cafe streets away.... this consisted of just one pastry and a cup of coffee each.
Yes, it was convienient for the city centre and yes, the hotel we ended up in was spotless, but this was not what we were expecting.Also walking back to the hotel after dark was not a pleasant experience.
Can't give an exact review as we never saw the interior, let alone stay there !

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple