“Dirty carpets”

Petit Palace Plaza Mayor
Ranked #96 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This is my 1st visit to madrid, We got this hotel ... The location is amazing amazing but I did not like the room, no mirror, small,dirty carpet, no good lights even in the corridors
and no good ventilation .... I've been in barcelona but I did not face such slow internet like this...
People who are working in the reception, housekeeper and even that girl who worked in the kitchen are masked faces they barely smile.. may be ppl in madrid they are like this I dont know...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Marta H, Front office manager at Petit Palace Plaza Mayor, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Sir,

Please, accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations.

Your comments have been shared with all the team members to avoid having a similar situation in the future

I would appreciate if you can please contact me directly upon your next visit to Madrid for me to ensure personally that you have a memorable experience.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I have now stayed at a total of five "Petit Palace" hotels, all of which follow a standard format of hyper modern decor in existing old buildings. As the "Mayor Plaza" enjoys a superb location, directly opposite the entrance of the Calle San Miguel and the Plaza Mayor, I have made it my choice of base on all my recent visits to Madrid.
The Petit Palaces welcome children, people with pets and the disabled although I wonder how a disabled person would manage to navigate the warren of passageways, much less use the power-shower, which is provided with only a partial, fixed glass partition, allowing sufficient space for an able-bodied person to edge in and out of it whilst still making it impossible to use the shower without flooding the bathroom and part of the adjoining bedroom!
As in all the hotels in this group where I have stayed, the star rating is inflated and leads to misleading expectations. True, they are all comfortable, even if the bed rooms vary between the pokey (if you are unlucky) and the generous. The young, enthusiastic staff are invariably polite and helpful and the breakfast buffet is more than adequate but as a minimum I would have expected some degree of room service in what purports to be a four star establishment and certainly would not consider the limited delivery service by a nearby Sushi bar as justifying this description - even if I liked Sushi, which I don't!
On a previous visit I commented on the irony of not being able to check in online for my homeward flight from what described itself as a "HIgh Tech Hotel" on the Linux operated laptop then provided in every room. This has since been effectively dealt with - by the removal of laptops from all rooms and the only computer now available is a beat-up, still Linux operated, laptop in the rather cramped lobby!
Definitely a young persons hotel, even if at least 60% of the guests usually seem to be if not in the "old fogey" class still what might be charitably described as "mature" and as we keep tottering back they must be doing something right!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Oddysseus
Marta H, Front desk manager at Petit Palace Plaza Mayor, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Sir,

From these lines, I would like to thank you for taking your time and sharing your comments about Petit Palace Mayor Plaza.

I am positive that your comments will help us to meet your expectations on your next visit to Madrid.

I look forward to welcoming you back personally

Regards,

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The major highlight of this hotel was the location. We were basically across the street from an entrance to the Plaza Mayor (nice views, overrated restaurants) and the Boqueria San Miguel (expensive and trendy market with tasty food). It was about a two block walk to the Plaza Sol and the Opera metro stations. There are tons of restaurants (good and touristy) in all different directions from the hotel. There were a bunch of nice restaurants nearby on Calle de los Cuchilleros.

Right next door was a mini-mart (great for quick snacks and drinks). There was a bigger market a block farther.

The room and hotel were pretty modern. We loved the shower (three options for getting sprayed). The bed was hard, but that seemed to be typical of the hotels in Spain that we stayed at. Even though our room was facing a busy street, it was quiet in the room. We appreciated the complimentary hard candies (we both had bad coughs from new colds).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ana S, General Manager at Petit Palace Plaza Mayor, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2015

Dear Client,
Thank you for your comments. We are happy to know that we meet your expectations. Without doubt, our guest’s satisfaction is our objective.
Your message is very well received and we thank you for it. It definitely helps Tripadvisor users to make a decision.
You will be always welcome come back.
Kindest regards.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago for three nights and the experience was great. Located very close to the Plaza Mayor and the Mercado de San Miguel, it is an amazing base camp to explore the city. The room was large and well decorated and we even had a terrace!. Marta, at the front desk, was very helpful giving us directions and tips to better explore and enjoy the city. Very good cost / value relation.Will stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Antonio536
Marta H, Front Desk Manager at Petit Palace Plaza Mayor, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. I am really happy that your experience in our hotel was such a great one. Thank you also for highlighting our location, as well as the quality of our services –our rooms, our staff… We hope to have you back at Petit Palace Mayor soon!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My daughter who is in her twenties and I stayed a Friday and Saturday night in this hotel in May. we were in Madrid to sight see and chill out and enjoy the sunshine. We weren't disappointed, Madrid is a lovely vibrant city and this hotel is extremely well placed to see it all. we were going to take the Metro but the weather was so lovely and we like to walk that we only used the Metro for the airport.
The hotel is very centrally placed and right in the midst of everything. We had a lovely room which looked out onto a quiet street, we were not bothered by any noise from outside and enjoyed the very pleasant view. The room suited us just fine it was clean and well thought out, the only thing we found it lacked was a full length mirror for my daughter to check out her look. The shower was amazing and invigorating with plenty of power and hot water. We found having the free wifi in the hotel very useful for keeping in touch with home.
We didn't try the breakfast in the hotel as we only wanted toast and tea and found it for 2 euros 20 cents at a cafe less than a minutes walk away.
I would recommend this hotel to any one wanting a clean, modern convenient hotel right on the doorstep of all that Madrid has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you had such a pleasant stay in Madrid and you could enjoy all the features of this wonderful city thanks to our central location. I am also very glad that the room –its shower, its layout and its cleanliness-, as well as our services reached your expectations. Thank you for your feedback, as it helps us to improve.
We hope to see you back at Petit Palace Mayor and it would be lovely if next time you tried our breakfast, which is very tasty as well as varied!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel and I was very happy about it. I loved the design of this small hotel. Room well furnished, staff friendly, perfect location. I didn't try the breakfast that I found a little bit overprice, but I found the value price/quality of the hotel, excellent. Will stay here again for sure!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nat20142013

Dear Client,
We are really gladfull about your personal experience and about the way our employees had treated you.
Your feedback helps us to improve every day.
We hope to see you again soon.
Kindest regards.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel is very modern. a bit hard to find but once you are inside you get to a nice and prety modern environment. breakfast was very good, the staff was friendly.

Only bad thing, no businees room to work once you checked out.

Great location, just two walks away from Plaza Mayor.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DTA80
ppmayor, Front Desk Manager at Petit Palace Plaza Mayor, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for posting your review here and your great comments.Thank you also for your mention about the location and our buffet breakfast.
We dont have a specific room for work, but in the reception we have a bussines center.

We look forward to your return.

Kind regards,