“Worse than the 7th circle of Dante's Inferno.”
Review of Isis Hotel

Isis Hotel
Ranked #386 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
“Worse than the 7th circle of Dante's Inferno.”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Oh my God. Where to start?

The shabby, shabby location or the fact that they lost our booking? We had to pay in cash while we waited for someone (the very helpful, nice Lydia who handled the booking) to arrive the next day and sort it out.

The man at reception ignored us until he was ready to attend to us. I swear it was as if we had run away with his wife or something, the way he kept scrunching up his face. Maybe he could smell his own attitude - which stank.

Then when we had a medical emergency a few hours later (our son went into anaphylactic shock after we were assured there were no nuts or soya in the food outside) he took his sweet time calling the ambulance. Ugh. We spent 8 hours in the hospital, took a taxi back, grabbed our stuff and went to another hotel.

If you like that kind of ghetto experience (also marketed as 'authentic' in some circles), if you're a smoker or on a boys' trip or if you're a student who doesn't mind pokey rooms, ancient bedsheets and rude staff by all means book this. But I assure you, it's not worth the Groupon price I paid for it.

The only upside is the bathroom but I wonder if it's not because it was the only modern thing in the whole establishment.

Oh and there's no lift until you walk up 2 flights of stairs to the first floor so if you're disabled, this HOSTEL is not for you.

The one star is for Lydia.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Staff were very polite and spoke very good English. Were helpful when we wanted info about the local area and how to get about.
Room was clean and staff tidied daily, room dacor a little out dated but our bathroom was newly renovated.

Not in the center but is about a five min walk from legazpi metro link so can get into the centre with no issue very cheaply (10 trips were €8) and a taxi back was around €8 when we missed the last metro (1.30am). Super market across the road and a few bars.

Would recommend the hotel to anybody, I think it's value for money and has every thing you need!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

This Hotel has clean bedding hot water , reception staff helpful, easy to get to by bus or metro, a 10 credit travel card is recommended. On the down side the room smelt of smoke, and noisy at night with high heels and doors shutting, you get what you pay for next time I will pay a bit more. Be aware of pickpockets in Madrid when waiting to cross the road my Wife lost her purse while waiting at the lights. I only rate this a star hotel.

Stayed January 2014

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I've been sleeping in the Isis hotel for 4 nights and the hotel was just fine. Also close to the metro which is convenient in a city like Madrid.

Best thing was the service. Friendly people. I'll come again when I go to Madrid.

Room Tip: Ask for tips to the Spanish girl and the reception, she knows everything.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark K
Wirral,England
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I chose this hotel as I was visiting friends who live very near by. I couldn't fault it for what I wanted which was basically somewhere to get ready and to sleep. My room was tiny with basically no view but it was clean, the shower was lovely and hot, the WIFI was free and reliable and the staff at reception were very pleasent. If you want a basic, budget, no frills hotel I recommend the Isis.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kittyhola
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This is a brilliant hotel which exceeded all our expectations. Very cheap for a large, clean room with a great shower, friendly very helpful staff and close location to metro station. Although breakfast was not included this was not a problem as many cafes etc close by. Would definately recommend this hotel to all. Only negative thing is all Spanish tv. On the whole 5 star experience for 2 star pricing

• Stayed February 2012
3 Thank RSNL
Moscow
Reviewed 21 December 2011

The price and location were the major reason because I made choice of this hotel. The hotel meets my expectations: beside the metrostation and good value of many. at fisht night i got the room on the basement connecting with kitchen. Next morning the staff offered me to change a room. There was the room on the 6th floor with the balcony. There is 24hour shop and many cafe biside the hotel.Room is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo