“Great hostel in the center of Madrid”
Review of Las Musas Hostel

Las Musas Hostel
Ranked #24 of 424 Speciality Lodging in Madrid
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Las Musas hostel in Madrid is great. We spent 4 nights there with my friend. First, all the positive facts about our trip:
1) The guys at the reception are very friendly and funny, gave all the necessary information and answered all the questions that we had. Helped us as much as they could with our booking problem/mistake.
2) There are various activities organized at the hostel and together with other hostels. Free walking tour every day, tours to other cities and different get-togethers every evening.
3) We took part in the free walking tour. Guide Erica did a great job! It was funny, just enough amount of historical facts, not too long and she showed a very nice cheap restaurant with traditional food at the end of the tour.
4) We went to Toledo, beautiful old historical city. Definitely worth visiting. That’s a good idea to offer such trips at the hostel.
5) We went to Flamenco at Las Carboneras. It is also a special offer from the hostel. Just 18€ and it was an amazing show!
6) All in all, the hostel is clean, quiet, and right in the center. We could walk to all the bars, restaurants, and sightseeing places. It is also very easy to get there by metro; the station is just 2 minutes walking.
7) There is coffee, tea and milk offered for breakfast at the lobby. So it was also very comfortable to have breakfast there every morning.

And last but not least, the negative part. There has been a mistake or a problem with our booking. We booked 2 beds in a 4-bed room for 4 nights. It was also stated in our booking confirmation. However, it showed totally different information in the booking system at the hostel. It showed that we had 2 beds in a 8-bed room. Luckily, boys at the reception gave us 4-bed room (only girls) for 3 nights and last night we had to sleep in the 8-bed room (mixed one). We did not have to pay anything extra. As far as I am concerned another couple from Germany had the same problem that day. I don’t know if it was a problem of the booking.com website or the booking system of the hostel. But it was the only tiny thing that spoiled just a little bit our vacation in Madrid.
Thank you for the hospitality, Las Musas hostel and it’s crew!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Very nice hostel, clean, cool atmosphere in city center, they organize some activities to suroounding cities, and they cook EXCELLENT paella at a very fair price.

I would definetely recommend it. Enjoy it and enjoy Madrid :)

Room Tip: 2nd floor better
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2014

When booking budget hostels, I usually expect smelly, unfriendly, dodgy places, but this was a pleasant surprise! The staff were very friendly [Hola Pedro!], the rooms were clean, bathrooms clean, no smells, no frills either.

There is free wifi in the lobby, there is no breakfast but they have free churros, chocolate milk and coffee in the mornings (YUM!), there is also a Lidil supermarket 5 mins away, and you can use the kitchen so you can eat for cheap.

Its a 3 min walk from Tirso de Molina train station, right in the center. We walked to Sol, Plaza Mayor, and Gran Via from the hotel easily.

Because it is a hostel so it is naturally loud, but they have a quiet policy from 12 midnight till 8 am which I was relieved to hear about.

The paella night is good if you want homemade paella for 3EUR, we also took their Toledo trip for 20 EUR (which wouldve costed the same if we went alone, and this way we were able to take pictures from a nearby mountain)

We booked rooms with private bathrooms, being a group of couples. Definitely coming back to Madrid and definitely staying in Las Musas!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was a cute, colorful, and clean hostal. We had gotten one w/ our own private bathroom that we were SO happy for. When we got there, they even upgraded us to a room w/ an air-conditioner too- SO nice of them and we appreciated it in the August heat we hadn't anticipated. The rooms were comfortably and roomy enough for 3 of us and we were able to walk everywhere. The churros and coffee in the mornings were nice once in a while. This city was beautiful and so much fun. Really enjoyed our visit :)
Con: Wifi only available in the lobby area.

Room Tip: There's no elevator so if you're not packing light, i'd request a room on a lower level.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I picked Las Musas as a more reasonably priced option compared to others around Madrid, and also given the great reviews of the kitchen which I was keen to use given a need to get back to budget living after xmas at home in London. The kitchen did not disappoint and was most definitely the best equipped of all those I have frequented over the past 8 months in the Americas. There is also a Lidl supermarket at the end of the road which is really cheap so on the budget front, it was perfect. In addition, the staff are all really friendly, I had a great introduction from Pedro on arrival (also one of the best I have had on the road), and the communal areas are clean and functional although seem to lack a little in atmosphere as they feel more like a school dining hall and games room. However, that was just what I needed so I can not complain.

The let down for me has to be the bed, the (top) bunk #5 in room 12 to be precise (in case it can be replaced / upgraded), on which I struggled to get a good nights sleep in during my three night stay. I am not sure if it was well worn or just poor quality but the springs, whilst certainly not painful, dug in and made it quite uncomfortable. Combine that with a somewhat small duvet that just about covered my modest 5,8 frame and it was quite irritating tossing, turning and losing the duvet all night.

Admittedly, the above paragraph could read a little bad, but in all honesty, its actually a decent hostel all round, its just that the sleep part is kind of the primary reason for staying in a hostel/hotel. Regardless, I am happy to give it 4/5 because of the service, the location (which is excellent), and the fact that one can easily work on a tight budget here should they be inclined to use the superb kitchen. If you are not told by the staff (I was), ask them about the free hours at the museums which will save you some cash if art is your thing.

Room Tip: If taking a bunk bed, go for the bottom as they are not particularly sturdy and the ladders make a r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I had a great time at this hostel. The room I booked did not exist anymore, so they upgraded me to the best room in the house, a single bed with a private bathroom and a terrace!
The receptionist, John even helped me with my bag upstairs.
I went to the flamenco show they organize (awesome!), and the pub craw (awesome again!).
Great location, next to Plaza del Sol, but in a nice quiet area. Definately recommend this hostel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The place is nothing short of fantastic. The staff are warm and friendly the activites are greatm the city centre is a short walk. Definately recommend it!.

Special shout out to Pablo,Facu,Pedro and Alberto (hostel workers).Great dudes, and reflecting true hospitality and customer service!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends