“We love this place”
Review of Hotel Unico Madrid

Hotel Unico Madrid
Ranked #10 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 29 June 2013

For the past two years we have stayed at the Villa Magna, which is a great world-class five star luxe hotel, built during an unfortunate architectural period of the sixties or so. We loved it there and the food is world class. However it can be noisy due to it's location on a main boulevard.

My wife needs real quiet at night so we switched to this former palace a few blocks away still in the great neighborhood of Salmonica. Those few blocks make all the difference in decibals. This is a great boutique hotel on a quiet street filled with boutiques and restaurants.

On arrival there was a problem with our reservations of a jr. suite and adjoining room. The staff was exceptional in taking care of the problem and upgraded us to a full suite with an adjoining room. Great suite with a unique two person jacuzzi tub. I usually find jacuzzi's useless, underpowered and the jets pointed in the wrong right direction. This one is excellent. The rooms are spacious and quiet with small Juliet balconies.

Staff helpful and friendly. However, when we needed an iron and board, the ironing board that they brought was meant for a lap or something. Not useable and the only flaw that needs correcting and can be corrected by the hotel. However the very helpful housekeeping person let us use the normal size board, apparently reserved for the staff. If you are staying awhile there is a small laundry located one block away in the La Paz marketplace among the fresh fruit and cheese vendors.

The Michelin two star restaurant on the ground floor is simply amazing. Not a place to merely eat but rather a place to taste the most complex flavors in small dishes of unique variety. It pays homage to the high art of Japanese Kaiseki with both it's small pieces of flat black pottery and some of the dishes arranged to look like a piece of a sushi roll for example but with completely new and fresh palate. Only the tiny drop of wasabi as one of seven different flavored drops accompanying the fish tartare appetizer, tasted of Japan. The wine paring of 40Euro brought six different glasses of wine, each perfectly paired with the course. Well worth it and a wonderful addition to a great little hotel.

We will be back. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 301 is a suite and the best room in the hotel. It can be connected to the much smaller 302 by c...
There are newer reviews for Hotel Unico Madrid

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The staff were all very helpful and attentive, and, usefully all speak at least some English (far more than my minimal Spanish). In particular the people at the reception.concierge were exceptionally helpful, getting us reservations at a couple of local and popular restaurants (Ten-con-Ten and El Paraguas -- which both have great food) and getting us tickets to the CND ballet.

The room was on the small side, but had a nice view over the garden and was very quiet, so you could sleep with the window open. Everything is very clean and stylish in a modern way.

The in-hotel restaurant has 2 Michelin stars, and so is very expensive and, in our opinion, rather over-the-top. (We're not into molecular gastronomy). So, you need to go out to eat. Fortunately there are many really good restaurants within 3 or 4 blocks. (Check out Homemade, which is right next door -- we thought it was excellent).

Room Tip: The garden view rooms are quiet
2  Thank VancouverBCVancouver
GM-HotelUnico, Director General at Hotel Unico Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback regardíng your recent stay at Hotel Único Madrid.

I am delighted to see you have enjoyed your holidays with us, specially due to the recommendations from our front desk and concierge staff.

We hope to see you back soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2013

I had a wonderful stay at Hotel Unico during a business trip in Spain! From check in to check out, everything went very smoothly and I left looking forward to the time I get to return. Rooms are very tastefully designed and nicely equipped with all luxurious amenities. Washroom was clean and properly ventilated. Bed was comfortable and I really slept well. From the guys at the reception to those in the kitchen all were very friendly and polite. They always greeted us with sweet smile. Overall a great place and I would be very happy to stay there again on a future visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Where shall I begin.

First, received an email offering private transfer services to the hotel for a certain price "special". Having the convenience of being picked up seemed great until my enquiry turned into, sorry this is no longer available, however something similar is but at double the cost. (Certainly made complaints and the hotel explained that they are going to improve their communication with customers and offered to provide the service upon my return to the airport, great, thanks!)

Second, upon arrival the room was not ready, I am completely ok with that but the will be ready in five minutes, turned into twenty-five. (They made an attempt to correct it by sending up some champagne, again greatly appreciated)

Third, given then nightly rate, I expected more from the hotel. Disappointed by the shoe-size rooms (small even by European standards, I expected nothing like the rooms in the US Hotels, but come on!) Mattress was thrown together on the floor it seems, held by shoestrings and I somehow ended up in the middle of the room every morning. (Secure the beds to something for crying out loud) I have stayed in many similar type hotels in Europe and even those provided q-tips, some other basic toiletries-nothing at Hotel Unico) A simple request for an ironing board (a functioning one that is) turned into a saga. I should have taken pictures of what was provided. I mean it was so short and small it fit over the restroom sink. As for my room, it was dark, dreary (so dark that even the bell person noticed and made a request to correct it) all we got were more lamps to cramp the already too small closet for a room! And if vacuum explodes in the room, the guests will notice the burnt motor smell, have the courtesy to tell us or perhaps open the doors. I had to complain and the solution was to spray it with some cleaner. For those of us who have experienced this burnt smell and such a small space (like horribly burnt toast in a bathroom) the smell does not go away quickly!

Lastly, amenities, amenities, amenities! I am not the one to care so much (except for gym) but please don't advertise a fitness center! A fitness center, gym, workout center by any standards is more than one treadmill and in a well conditioned and lit room!

My overall impression of the hotel, not remarkable by any standards. Three stars at best. I would have given the overall customer service a great thank you but the lack of initiative to help us while locked out of our room for over 30 minutes (while they cleaned the smell) with nowhere to go a huge fail.

I would not stay here again! Love the area and I am sure there are plenty of other hotels that would be much better without much more effort!

3  Thank Art E
GM-HotelUnico, Director General at Hotel Unico Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel and we deeply regret for not meeting all your expectations during your stay.

It is always important for us to know our guests experiences in order to be able to improve our customer care service.

The hotel private transfer service it´s offered to all our guests before arrival and although we try to accommodate all request for transfers, sometimes when we cannot attend all the requests with the hotel cars we arrange this service with a deluxe transfer service company. I apologize this was not explain correctly to you prior arrival.

Regarding our fitness Center, it is a free facility for hotel guests and remains open 24 hours. It offers a wide variety of facilities, such as treadmills, exercise bikes, elliptical trainer, weight bench, stretching area...Along with this, we have a personal trainer service for those guests who wish a complete trainning.

Furthermore, we would like to apologise if upon arrival the room was not still available, but the check in starts at 14 hours and although we try our best to have the rooms available before this time for guests that arrive earlier , this is not always possible. We highly recommend to notice us if you are checking in before 14 hours , in order to avoid guests waiting.

On the following days I will meet my management team an discuss the further issues you have mentioned, in order to imporve our guests service.

I am really sorry to see that after all the effort we made to help you with this matter we were still no able to satisfy your needs.

I hope that despite your not so positive experience, I will be able to welcome you back personally in the near future.

If there is anyhing else we can do for you, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Any company is only as good as the staff who work for it. The staff at Hotel Unico made our visit a memorable one for all the right reasons. Friendly, professional, helpful - nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is beautifully designed and is cool without being cold, we will certainly be back! Amazing service they understood our situation with a late flight and we could book the room with a late check out for not much money. They also would recommend the best places to visit and book the best restaurants for you!,,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gheler J
GM-HotelUnico, Director General at Hotel Unico Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind reviews; we are delighted to see that you have enjoyed your stay and had such a positive experience at the hotel.

We are pleased to hear that you are thinking in returning back to the hotel in future visits to Madrid.

Please, do not hesitate in contact us at any time prior your arrival if you have any special requests.

Jaime Quiroga
General Manger Hotel Único

Reviewed 1 June 2013

This was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed at! Its an old palace that was restored into a boutique hotel.The decor was very classy and stylish. The room was very clean and comfortable. Service was perfect and the hotel had complimentary sandwiches and pastries throughout the day. In a great neighbourhood with all the high end shops. Close walk to Gran Via and all the main attractions. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danielle D

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive feedback, I am glad to hear that you had such a fantastic experience at Hotel Único.

Thank you once again and we hope to be welcoming you back soon.

Your sincerely,

Jaime Quiroga
General Manager Hotel Único

Reviewed 27 April 2013

It is a very funky hotel - when you step in off the street it is clear that the designers have thought carefully about the layout and feel of the hotel. the receptionist was busy so we were led into the reception room - v cool - and offered a welcome drink. so far so good.

The staff took our passports, came back and asked us both who had rang and asked about the upgrade - it was my wife, as it was my 40th birthday weekend and she wanted to do something special (champagne breakfast in bed) and asked about this at the same time (and based on reviews that I have seen on tripadvisor the hotel does upgrade for special occasions).

We booked through Mr & Mrs Smith and I know they mentioned it was my birthday. The way this was handled was embarrassing for both of us. The approach was not thought through - really not a great start to our stay. In the end we did upgrade and were told we were going to be charged for it, which is fine, but where's the consistency of policy? There was clearly the availability....

That aside (and it wasn't great) the staff were generally really good. we both thought the man who took our bags was aloof and he didn't seem to speak english, which seemed odd for a 5 star hotel, but they were great in helping with hotel bookings and tickets for the Madrid game.

The room was great. really spacious and tastefully designed. The mini bar was extortionate, even for a 5 star, and the toilet really poorly designed.

I had stayed in Villa Magna the week before on business and this hotel is not as good. but then it is two thirds of the price.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple