“Good value for money!”

Ranked #258 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Sao Paulo, SP
“Good value for money!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here with my wife for a couple of days, it was our fist visit to Madrid and we were looking for something cheap but well located (were were planning on staying most of the time walking and not in the hotel). This was definitely the right place.
The hostal is very simple but efficient. Our room wasn't pretty, but was comfortable and had all we needed for our stay. The only problem we found was that wifi signal was extremely weak in our room, so it was very hard to get online.
Location was perfect for what we were looking for: it's at a walking distance of all the main land marks, and you have bus stations and subway near by. There stop for direct bus from/to the airport is 4 blocks away (it was a 30 minutes ride)
The Hostal doesn't offer breakfast, which was a bad news for us when choosing this place, but just around the corner there are several coffee shop with with great coffee and very low prices (less than 2 euros for coffee and croissant), so it was not an issue at all.

If you are planning on doing sight seeing in madrid and if you are looking for a hotel just to spend the night this is the right place.

Room Tip: I'm not sure where they Wifi routes was located, but you should ask for a room with good wifi si...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tassarmar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

I have been there 3or 4 times I think and it is always a great option. The rooms are comfortable and the beds good enough. The design is a but old but it's only a hostal. We love the location because it's close to chueca. It was winter and the room was warm enough. The staff is really nice so I recommend it.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The hotel is situated about 100 yards north of the Gran Via - about 5 minutes walk to the Puerta del Sol.

From the airport you can take the train (line C1 from terminal 4 to Recoletos station - 10 minutes walk to the hotel) - this costs 2.5 Euros. If you arrive at one of the other terminals there is a free transfer bus that goes round all of the terminals - every few minutes.
You can take the underground from the airport but this mean a couple of changes.

The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming and showed me to the room. Room was reasonable size, comfortable and spotlessly clean.

I had booked a single room - but had a room with a large double bed. Room had air conditioning, flat screen TV, good size wardrobe (plenty of hangers) and a small bathroom. The bathroom was a little dated (but again, was perfectly clean). Was it a bath...or what is a shower tray?....it was the size if a shower tray (you could just have sat in it with your knees under your chin), but the depth of a bath....and the mixer taps and plug also suggested it may be used as a bath. Perhaps it would be better to remove this and install a proper shower cabinet?
Soap and shampoo were provided.

Really comfortable bed, with lovely crisp linen. One large pillow that went the whole width of the double bed.

The room was cleaned every day (including Sundays) and towels changed every day.
The hotel provides free Wi-Fi.
I wasn't in Spain to watch telly so this was not an issue for me - but there were no English language channels

No meals available in hotel, but there are numerous restaurants and cafes within minutes walk away. Hotel does have a vending machine for snacks and drinks.

To get this comfortable hotel, in the centre of a capital city, for about £38 per night is excellent value.

I'd be very happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Remember the air conditioning only works when the patio door are closed - and cuts out when they are...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark M
Buenos Aires
Reviewed 9 August 2012

This nice hostal is very well located. Near Gran via, Puerta del Sol, Plaza Mayor, you can walk to most of the attractions, and of course subway station is very close. There is no need to take a taxi from the airport, you can easily take the bus (EMT Express) from airport to Plaza de Cibeles, and then walk about 5 or 6 blocks to the hotel.
The room is simple, and small, but you have most of what is needed for a comfortable stay. It is very clean. Only two things to critize: there is no hair dryer on the room. I think they have only 2 for all rooms, and you have to go in the morning to the reception and ask for it. My experience was not good, because actually hair dryer was never available when I needed it. Then, heat was a little bit high, and I felt really hot.
Cristina, the girl at the reception, was really nice! We had some issues with the credit card when trying to authorize it before our arrival, but she kept our reservation and was very helpful.
Anyway, it was a very nice stay, and we were all day walking and getting to know Madrid, so to rest and sleep it offers a great service.This is really a hotel I'd recommend. I would definitely go back to Vazquez de Mella.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marceli
UK
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in May to do a walkabout short trip in Madrid. Location wise this was very good for us. 15 minutes walk to the Royal Palace / Plaza de Espana / Temple of Debod in the west and 15 minutes to the Retiro Park in the east. Plenty of restaurants and cafes nearby. A supermarke was 5 minutes away.

The place was clean and tidy. The room we had (no 13) was quite small (or cosy) but clean. The shower worked well. The aircon was strong (you will definitely need it in the summer!). As the window was facing the inner light/air well, it was not noisy (I could image the rooms with windows facing the sqaure could be noisy). Christina the receptionist and the owner's son could both speak good English and were friendly.

Overall we were satisfied with it and would recommend the hostel, considering the rate charged and the location of being right in the middle of Madrid.

PS: Be very careful with your money/wallet as Madrid is full of professional pickpockets! There was a money changer/telephone calling shop (not Western Union) a street up from the hostel which opens 7 days a week and we got a very good rate changing £'s into Euro.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with windows open into the square.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SC168
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I am not a light sleeper. I am from NYC, I can sleep through nearly anything. But this hostel had the thinest walls I have ever encountered. It was honestly ridiculous, I could hear EVERYTHING that happened in the hostel. By the end of a night full of the sounds of back up toilets being fixed, keys jangling, night watchmen talking on the phone, full conversations from various guests at all hours, it almost became a joke! How can one place be so noisy and the walls be so thin?
The hostel itself is fine otherwise, small clean rooms, in a central location. But it isn't luxury accommodations, all I expected was to be able to get a good nights sleep there and that did NOT happen. Maybe I got a bad room, but I would caution all others from risking it. Madrid has tons of options, choose one you can actually sleep in!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bobby F
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2012

This is my 2nd time in this hostal this trip - its a regular spot for me and ideally situated.

It is just a few mins walk (max 5) from Gran Via station. Clean as always, very informal. Plenty of places to eat and drink nearby.

See my other reviews for more information. Just putting this one here to say standards are the same! Good internet/wifi, helpful staff, comfortable bed, quiet, a good nights sleep ....

Room Tip: Room 4 - one double, one single, looks over the square - double glazed to keep the noise out - but i...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo