“Very homey and centrally located”

Hostal Greco Madrid
Ranked #103 of 277 Madrid B&B and Inns
Palm Beach, Florida
“Very homey and centrally located”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Our accomodation was very satisfactory. The room was very clean. The staff very cordial and helpful. I definitely recommend this hostel. I 've been around the world and have stayed in several
5 star hotels without character, this experience with Hostal Greco was charming. I will stay in this hostel again when I visit Madrid next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Well, Hostal Greco is fantastic to save some euros and sleep in the city center but don't expect much of an hostal with several decades on its history. Old, small rooms, bad deco and old furniture. The locations is superb just a few steps from Gran Via and the subway station. The breakfast is at the coffee shop around the corner: a coffee and a toast ;)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Antalya, Turkey
Reviewed 20 January 2014

It is run by a middle aged Greek family. There is no breakfast like most others in the area. The rooms, furniture is very old. The sheet, linen and the room smells bad.The door of the room is like a room door in a house with the old style key, and some broken, so we didn't feel safe. The shower and the WC are in the same very very small place and it was nearly impossible to move in. Very noisy street until morning on Friday and Saturday nights. Your key for the building is given by the receptionist upon your arrival. Internet doesn't work. The only good thing is that it is 50 mt. to Gran Via and city centre. If you dont care all these, it may be a choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the other side of the street on Friday and Saturday nights.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Erbil, Iraq
Reviewed 18 March 2012

It seemed the ideal place to spend our holiday in Madrid. It is located near the center, near the "Gran Via" and the metro station.
The hostel is on the second floor of a building in common with ordinary homes. Upon our arrival we were given a key to open the main door of the ground floor. You will be given also a small map, very useful.
In the bedroom there is a bathroom with shower, a closet with a safe inside, refrigerator and TV.
The decor is spartan and dated so you have to adapt if you're used to the 4 stars, but for those who don't need lux is just fine.
There is no breakfast, not even to be paid separately, but this has the advantage of being able to leave in the morning and have breakfast in the bars of the adjoining streets.
There is free wirelless which unfortunately does not work perfectly in the rooms (at least not in ours), so we went to use internet in a small sitting room next to reception.
Staff friendly and solar and willing to satisfy your requests.
I recommend it to people who want to stay in Madrid at a few steps from the Gran Via and Puerta del Sol.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alenay
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Terrible owner. Grumpy. Such disrespectful behaviour.
Bad taste in decoration. But thats not the ponit. These people need to learn how to respect women.
Noisy

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank 522Alex522
Reviewed 5 August 2011

It's interesting, but I had very similar experiences as those two earlier reviewers - I stayed in another hostal first, but after one sleepless night I left and bumped into this nice place. I had a room with a balcony facing the street and it did get a bit noisy late at night but somehow I slept very well dispite that. The room was actually a double room, but I got it a little cheaper as I was alone. The only negative thing in the room was, that it was quite cold, probably because the central heating was not yet turned on (in late October the nights are already chilly). The old owner lady was very helpful although she spoke only Spanish, French and a few words English and she recommended me a great bar nearby for breakfast.

I would stay here the next time too!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2011

I too had a bad experience with my first accommodation in Madrid - the Hostal Rofer. After 2 nights [of very little sleep because of the noise from other guests or their 'visitors'???], I split and just happened upon Hostel Greco as it is just off the Gran Via and therefore handy for Gran Via Metro [100 meters], the Telefonica building and all the sights of central Madrid. I initially took a room with a lovely balcony at 48 euros per night as a way to compensate myself for my previous hideous hostel experience. This looked fantastic in the early evening but as night drew in I realised I had made a mistake because of the all night partying in the street below until 5am.
Next 7 nights I spent in an internal room with windows opening into the central area at 38 euros per night. This was fantastic and obviously cheaper over the week. The cleaner came in every morning with fresh laundry and towels and I was never disturbed by unruley guests. I think this is because the old couple who run it as a kind of family business keep a very close eye on what goes on for obvious reasons. If you are looking to party in your room this is NOT the hostel for you. I don't think you are supposed to smoke in the rooms although I'm sure people do. If they like the look of you they become very friendly over time and when I left there were handshakes and my suitcases brought from the room and put in the lift for me and a request that I come back soon.
Pretty good for a hostal!

Room Tip: Front balcony rooms noisy-internal better
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo