“Decent hotel”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Madrid Prado
Ranked #151 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 February 2011

As far as European hotels go, this is indeed a fairly decent hotel. Although there could be some imrpovement, it is a nice little hotel all in all.

Pros
- Good location. 3-minute walk from Prado and 10-minute walk from Retiro Park and Atocha (Train station to Toledo).
- Pleasant neighbourhood with plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants. We did not exactly brush up our Spanish beforehand but everyone seemed very friendly and keen to recommend different authentic dishes despite the language barrier. It felt very safe to go out even late at night.
- Decent room and cool design. Love the huge mirror and over-head shower in the bathroom.
- Attentive staff.

Cons (rather minor stuff)
- I have to agree with previous comments that the water temperature seemed to jump up and down a fair bit. (It was almost like 15-second of decent temperature and 2-second extreme hot.)
- Lack of make-up mirror in the bathroom.
- Average quality of toiletry: lack of cotton buds and cotton pads. Hair conditioner was very weak. (Having said all that, I could live with it for 4 days.)
- Light switches were very random, we had so much trouble working out what switch was for what light.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JumboJas

Reviewed 26 February 2011

The standout for the hotel is its location - right across from the Prado, surrounded by great little cafes, 500m from the metro, but on a quiet side street so there's no noise. That was perfect.
And overall, it was a wonderful experience. The rooms were lovely, comfy bed, free wifi (thank you!), friendly staff, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone on this basis.
There were just a few little things that niggled me. 1. The shampoo was terrible. I don't mean just ordinary. I mean I don't even think it was shampoo. My hair was destroyed afterwards. I've never had such an experience. 2. There was only BBC TV in English - unless you wanted to pay 15EU for more English language TV. 3. The strange bathroom design meant it was really impossible to have a shower without getting the whole room wet (although I note the showers were wheelchair friendly, perhaps these things are related). 4. The shower ran hot and cold meaning you had to keep stepping out of it to avoid being burned. All little things - but it's the little things that make the difference, sometimes. And which might make me look around next time.
Overall, though, it was brilliant and I probably would stay again. I'd just bring my own shampoo.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

Great location, plenty of excellent bars and restaurants nearby. The hotel rooms are comfortable, large and well furnished. However in an attempt to be very modern the execution is poor. Oddest of all is the floor to ceiling glass wall between bedroom and bathroom. Personally I prefer to do my business in private without my son and daughter watching. There are also no towel racks, electric switches that make no sense at all and switch lights on and off randomly, bath plugs that don't work, a shower that looks very cool, but runs hot and cold, fire alarms that go off in the middle of the night by accident and staff that don't know how to reset them. The Breakfast Buffet was superb. Didn't try the reataurant or the bar on account of there being so many great places nearby. In fact I never saw anyone in the bar - apart from a fashion shoot - it doesn't even look like a bar as you know it - more like something out of Living Designs magasine. There is an excellent little spa here as well, which the kids really enjoyed. Overall we really enjoyed our stay however.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Adrian B
Reviewed 21 February 2011

The Radisson Blu Madrid has several distinct pluses and minuses. The positives:

1. The hotel staff was unfailingly pleasant, attentive, helpful, professional, and in command of at least adequate English.

2. The location is perfect for the art-tourist: a short walk from the Prado, the Reina Sofia, the Thyssen, and the Royal Academy of Fine Arts. It is also a short walk to the main train station and convenient to a host of restaurants. It is in the middle of everything, yet secluded and quiet.

3. It offers an effectively all-you-can-eat breakfast, a great convenience, and it is substantial: you can select from a better-than-average buffet and/or from the menu. The two in combination offer just about anything you could want.

4. The massage my wife received in the spa was very good. Although the massage therapist did not have much English, we were able to specify areas that needed special attention (feet and back after long hours in museums and sight-seeing) when we booked the appointment.

Unfortunately, these were substantially offset by the negatives on my recent visit:

1. The “free wireless” did not work. (In fairness, we did not follow up with the hotel.)
2. The climate control in the room kept it suffocatingly hot. The thermostat did not respond to our efforts, suggesting it was either preset or broken. We spoke to the front desk and asked the preset thermostat to be lowered to 18 C; this was presumably done, but the room remained hot. We endured our five-day stay by keeping the window open. (In fairness, we only inquired once.)

3. The water temperature always felt as if you were on the verge of running out of hot water. It is perhaps appropriate that the water from the sink should never be scalding, but the shower never felt quite warm enough.

4. The channel selection on the television was the most limited I have yet experienced in a European hotel. The only English-language channels available were the BBC and Al Jazeera.

5. The pillows were remarkably limp and flat.

6. I want to be clear that the hotel staff was excellent, but I believe management has left the staff overworked and stretched thin. There was considerable evidence of short-staffing, and I suspect employees maintained their chipper, upbeat mood only because, with Spain’s unemployment rate around 20%, they are too frightened to do otherwise. This possibility was reinforced by a somewhat sinister customer satisfaction survey I received by email after check-out, asking me to name specific hotel employees for credit or blame.

In light of all these experiences, I would not recommend the Radisson Blu, particularly as there are several other hotels in the same price range located close by.

2  Thank Mousewife
Reviewed 17 February 2011

A cool hotel right in prado. Rooms have huge prints of Madrid streets on the Walls. A bit dark... Trying to be a bit too hip. But still a bit different.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 10 February 2011

This hotel was perfect for a city break. Me and my partner are used to staying in modern, super cool hotels and this hotel did not disappoint.
Although seeing reviews about the size of the room, we were not disappointed. It was not huge but was perfectly comfortable for the both of us and the bathroom was lovely!

The staff at the hotel were very attentive and a young girl at the check in desk gave us some fabulous restaurant recommendations.

If you are looking for a very nice meal in a uber cool place....check out Rameses and midnight Rose......both awesome.

Our room was cleaned brilliantly every day.
Location is perfect.....right opposite Museo Prado and close to everywhere!

Word of advice for party animals-do not go to Pasha if you are 25 or over.....full of teenagers!

Would definitley recommend this hotel to family and friends!

Reviewed 5 February 2011

An excellent and well located hotel in central Madrid. The room was clean and very comfortable. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Highly recommended.