“Big room, excellent value for money”
Review of Axor Barajas Hotel

Axor Barajas Hotel
Ranked #141 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Big, clean, comfortable room. Friendly, approachable front desk. Positive experience tempered by two surly, unhelpful shuttle driver(s).

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Four of us recently spent a night here. We had booked the hotel & pre-paid through hotels.com. Needing a hotel close to the Madrid Barajas airport for a flight home the next day, we decided on the Axor Barajas for its location, price, & shuttle service from the airport (flew in from Porto, Portugal). The poor communication issue began after retrieving our baggage. We were told that the shuttle comes by every half hour, so we hustled to that area. After nearly an hour of waiting & needing to get to the hotel (we were quite tired from our 2+ weeks of traveling), we decided to take a taxi instead, a ride that cost 23.50 euros for a 2-3 mile trip. An exhorbitant amount, in my opinion! Since no taxi could accommodate all 4 of us & our luggage, our friends took a taxi as well & spent the same amount. We informed the desk clerk of our dilemma & asked why there was no shuttle. Her answer was, "Well, it should have been there." No apology, no offer of compensation, no empathy!

The second incident of poor communication happened the next morning as we went to the breakfast buffet, which was part of our pre-paid package. We were told that the breakfast buffet was NOT part of our package. Only by returning to our room & retrieving the copy of our reservation with hotels.com that listed the breakfast buffet as part of our deal were we allowed to sit down & eat. By now the food wasn't tasting very good.

The third incident happened shortly thereafter. Because of the problem with no shuttle the night before, we made sure we reserved a shuttle for 10:30 a.m. before retiring for the night & was assured that it would be there. I decided to double-check that at 10 a.m. The desk clerk succinctly said, "That is impossible, sir." By now I was starting to get a bit agitated & told him of the 2 aforementioned situations. He could see I was not going to accept his statement, so after a couple phone calls he said, "No problem, sir!" It came at 10:15.

Other than these frustrations, the hotel did meet our expectations of a good location & a good price. If you're expecting more, you better double-check ALL communication with the hotel to avoid what we experienced.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank funtraveling2
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Axor Barajas is one of the best airport hotels I've ever stayed in. The room we got was so spacious. Everything from the bed to the bathroom was great. Don't know what kind of shower head they use, all I knew is I didn't want to step out of the shower. Again, big bathroom. The small living area that comes with the room was certainly a nice touch
The only reason I take a 0.5 off my experience is because a receptionist would not lend me an iron which is pretty odd. She said an iron is only available to be borrowed after 8 am. Are you kidding me? I even asked her twice to make sure what I was hearing was correct. This is the first time in my life being denied access to such a simple item. Hotels worldwide would lend such item anytime. Though they might tell you to return it in the morning but to be refused upfront is just strange.
Aside from the iron situation, I will recomend this hotel and will stay here again if I'm back in Madrid. The room comfort was undeniable.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

Hotel was clean and very comfortable. Very large room that easily slept 4 people. The bed was extremely comfortable. Very near airport with an airport shuttle. Market and mall close by. Desk staff friendly.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Thought it was a great hotel for the price...new, clean, nice rooms, more than one channel in english on the tv. Would definitly stay here again for my last night in Madrid. Only bad things I could say about the hotel is that it is far from the city center and the breakfast buffet was not that great compared to other hotels that we stayed at.

Room Tip: Maybe try the buffet at the four star Axor next door for a better breakfast. Also, there was a real...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed here our last night in Spain, and found our room to be very modern and very comfortable. We were disappointed that the free in-room WiFi went out of commission within 15 minutes of our arriving in our room, but I honestly think this was a fluke and that it's usually working fine. In addition to free in-room Wifi, the hotel has a computer right near check-in where you can print your boarding pass, which was great.

Readers should note that this is a good place to stay for access to Barajas Airport; downtown Madrid may be metro-accessible (I'm not sure), but it's certainly not just around the corner. The hotel's just off the auto route. (It wasn't too noisy, but if you're a light sleeper, may want to request a room that doesn't face that side, just in case.)

A free airport shuttle operates every half hour in the morning/afternoon...I think it switches to a "request" basis at some point in the evening (can't remember the exact time.) Reserve your spots with the front desk just in case. Our shuttle was on time, and got us there within 10 minutes. Make sure you know what terminal you are going to, as there are two different buses.

There is a hotel restaurant with a limited menu which was very convenient since we were exhausted from traveling and didn't feel like venturing out. But take note-- you certainly PAY for that convenience, as the prices are exorbitant.

Overall we were very comfortable and would stay here again for convenient airport access.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, request a room on the opposite side from the auto route.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CM410
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Wow, after having stayed at the high tech hotel aeroport i wish i had persisted in getting a reservation at the Axor, it is reasonably priced, incredibly clean and modern and the room was so spacious, a bed (i had twin beds) a lounge area with a sofa and two single chairs (in white leather) adequately spaced and chiq, the flatscreen TV could be swivelled to face either the "lounge and bunkbed" side or the main bed side", there is a mini bar (which you can request to be cleared out) i did coz i had young boys with me whom i couldnt trust not to touch or move the bar stuff, as even movement/touch of the merchandise will register as used (touch sensitive). The bathroom very nice and huge hower, honestly i wished i had stayed here longer instead of the dump i spent so many nights at, if you want an airport hotethis is it, dont even consider the high tech!