“Beautiful exterior, but this trait does not does extend to the important things like service, food and friendliness.”
Review of Axor Barajas Hotel

Axor Barajas Hotel
Ranked #99 of 435 Hotels in Madrid
Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2009

While Spain is not known for its customer service skills, the staff at the Axor set a new bar on how low it can be, getting to the point of being outright rude. More so, none of the staff even processed anything beyond rudimentary English, considering its proximity to a Hub airport like Madrid, this was unexpected.

While the room cost is reasonable, the restaurant is overpriced to the point of absurdity. i.e. 20 Euro for a few pieces of undercooked beef (apparently it a “T-bone”), 10 euro for a few stalks of asparagus.

Even more, they were unable to make any sort of concessions for a vegetarian. The dishes eventually served would embarrass the staff of other restaurants.

The close location to the airport means dining inside is one of the few feasible options, and therefore its poor performance should play a large factor in your decision to come here.

The clichéd expression "beauty is only skin deep" applies well to the Axor. The rooms and hotel are chic and trendy, but anything beyond the surface leaves one disappointed and frustrated. Spending our last night unfortunately has tainted the memory of our whole Spain/Portugal trip.

Please learn from our mistake.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank MikeHutch
DavidGonzalez, Cesar Moreno. Hotel Manager at Axor Barajas Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2009
Dear Mr Hutch:
First of all, I would like to apologize for the bad experience that you had during your stay at our Hotel, we opened only two months ago and i have to say that yours is the first really negative comment that we receive.
About our customer service, i am very dissapointed to read that about our staff and the only thing i can say is sorry for that and that i am quite surprised, since most of the guests that i have the chance to chat with leaves the hotel very pleased about the front desk staff and tells me that they are very helpful and well trained. This of course, wont change your impression about our service, so sorry once again, we will work harder to offer the best service posible.
there is one thing i would like to explain about our restaurant prices. We only cook and serve fresh first quality products. it would be easier for us to lower the standars so we can adjust the prices, but this doesnt fit with our culture, This doesnt warranty that everybody is going to enjoy our menu, so we always listen to every costumer comment to improve both our service and menus.For example,as you say, we dont have a vegetarian menu at the moment, but we have realize that it is a growing demand and it is going to be available soon. We have also started a daily lunch menu at 15€, including starter, main dish, dessert and drink, and for dinner, if you are looking for a less formal meal, we offer the lounge menu, with appetizers and snacks and the roomservice, with a wide range of sandwiches and salads.
We try to give our guest as many options as posible and we will keep on working in this direction.
finally i want to thank you for your honest feedback. We have the opinion that there is a lot to learn from comments like yours, showing us the points that need to be improved, and take the necessay actions to achieve it.
with kindest regards:
Cesar Moreno laparra.
Axor Barajas hotel manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
North West England
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Before I launch into my review, I will state that my ratings depend on how a hotel compares to my expectations. A hotel can only achieve a maximum rating from me if it exceeds my expectations. If I stayed in a super posh 6* hotel with price to match, it would be very hard for it to achieve a max rating, because I would surely judge it as stringently as it's room rate suggests it is good.
I obtained a very competitive rate for the Axor Baraxas - comparable to the rate of a low budget, low comfort hotel in the UK. The Axor Hotel actually consists of 2 hotels: the Barajas - a 4* business hotel - and the Feria - a 3* budget hotel. To be clear, this review is about the Axor Barajas. The location is very convenient for the Airport and the Feria de Madrid exhibition centre. There is a complementary shuttle which serves both the airport and the Feria. If you can't wait for the shuttle at the airport, be aware that jumping in a taxi will cause the driver to snort in disgust at the the low far this will attract, even if it is nearly €20. Avoid airport taxis if you can!
As for getting about from the hotel - there are often taxis lurking outside. A cab to the centre of Madrid will cost you about €20. If you jump in a waiting cab, the meter starts when you jump in. If you ask the desk to call a taxi for you, the meter starts when it starts the journey to the hotel. Be aware of this or you may think the taxi is ripping you off - it isn't, that's how it works here.
And so to the hotel. The front office staff are attentive and effective. After a swift check in one of three lifts will whisk you to your floor. The rooms are large and comfortable. I stayed in an executive room which was very well equipped. It had a table with 4 chairs, as well as a desk, so this would be an ideal place to hold a business meeting or to have room to spread out if you have lots of paperwork. The king sized bed was very comfortable, too. The bathroom has a great walk in shower and a soft closing toilet seat - both indicative of the attention to detail in this establishment. Each floor has a feature room - an ad hoc meeting room, a news room (papers and CNN for example), a computer room, a games room...
Internet connectivity is free and is wired or WiFi in the rooms and WiFi in the public areas.
The one negative aspect of my stay here was with the restaurant. The service did not meet the high standard that the rest of the hotel had led me to expect. The breakfast buffet was similarly unappetising. Having said that, for the rate paid, it was a spectacular success. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank WC27
United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2009

After spending a week hotel-hopping in Madrid (see my previous reviews) I was keen to find a good solid hotel to stay at for my second week - and boy did I find a hidden gem.

Sure you come to Trip Advisor and it has four reviews, all glowing, and you think they can't all be real, but they honestly are. This hotel, opened on the 1st of September is absolutely stunning value for money, with the Executive room with additional work/lounge area currently 74 euros a night, that's 50% less than the best rate I could get at Hilton over the road.

So at that price I was cautious, but keen to get there and see what its like, the bus picked me up at 9pm from the Barajas airport, and I was checked in and in my room by 9:45. What a room it was too! On the 4th floor my room was an excutive room, with a full size 4 seater dining table for me to work at in the evenings.

The bed was large, comfortable (which is Spain is seemingly rare) and the sheets were crisp white and comforting. The lights all round the room were energy saving and well placed, the room was laminated throughout and there was very little noise coming from other rooms, mainly only the heavy weight doors which could close a little softer.

The bathroom was excellent, with plenty of additional packs of toiletries available in case you had left anything behind - the shower was a dual header unit in a large walk-in glass enclosure.

The room overall had plenty of space, nice, clean and comfortable - bigger than the one I stayed in at the Hilton a week previously. The Wi-Fi is free throughout the hotel, quite quick and very stable - it worked everywhere I went and was really nice to see this hotel avoiding the bandwagon of 10+ euros a day for internet access.

The hotel is quite traditional in the kitchen rules, with dinner, room service and bar food not being served till 8:30pm, but at least it was through till 12 midnight. The breakfast was 15 euros per person, with plenty of choice and fresh bakery products each day. Plenty of fresh fruit and plenty of staff around to help.

Highly recommended, I just hope the hotel keeps up the standards, its easily well ahead of the Hilton and with the taxi rank outside very useful for the business traveller.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Visidigi
london
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Ok, I am in the hotel business and am not easily impressed but this new hotel ticked every box for me !
The design is amazing ! Just sit in the lounge and see lots of people taking pictures of it !
The staff service is very good, clearly well trained.
The rooms are large, funky and very very clean.
The car parking is on site and easy to access
The only fault I have is that the dining room is characterless, however the snacks are great !
Its pointless writing much more because in all honesty its a hotel that I can 100% recommend.
I suspect rates will rocket as its popularity increases

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank maranelloLondon
Houston
Reviewed 12 September 2009

According to the assistant manager, this hotel just opened September 1, 2009. It has very modern & bright decor, and everything looks and smells new!
Its location close to Madrid's Barajas airport along with free transport provided on their new mini buses departing every half hour were deciding factors in giving this hotel a try.
The entry and lobby is very spacious with a parking garage below level. Three large elevators are available. Staff was friendly & check in was swift.
Our room was comfortable with good individual climate control. There is a refrigerator containing refreshments. The shower stall in the bathroom is extra large!
The cyber-room available to guests did not yet have the free internet accessable computers set up, but the hotel manager let me use his computer to access the internet from his office. Said he has received the cyber room equipment which should be set up in about a week. We did not try out the free wifi said to be accessable from our room.
Did not have a chance to try out their spa/exercise center.
The hot breakfast buffet had a wide variety of offerings and is located in a large dining room.
The trip to terminal T1 at the airport took about 10 minutes. They also offered free transport to the Convention Center.
Total price for the double was 69 euros, breakfast included. Cab fare to the hotel from the Renfe Chamartin train station was 18 euros.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple