“"Great hotel"”

Ranked #126 of 445 Hotels in Madrid
Miami, Florida, United States
“"Great hotel"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

It is really nice to stay in the Axor, it was comfortable and modern and nice price too. I went there with my husband and 2 kids, the room was large and clean. I rent a car in the airport and the parking in the hotel cost me 18 euros extra, the space for the parking is really small so you have to be a good driver. For me and my family was amazing.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

The Axor Feria's service was the absolute worse of any hotel I stayed in during my recent trip to Europe.

The Axor Feria experience began with me sitting on the airport transfer bus alone while the driver called to find out where the Axor Feria was located because he was only told about the Axor Barajas. They're side-by-side though the bus starts and ends its' trips at the Axor Barajas.

The check-in process demonstrated that there was absolutely no communication between staff members. Weeks and months before my arrival, I requested in writing a non-smoking room and transport to the airport for my departure. The front desk staff member had no idea about my previous requests. To emphasize the poor communication, I later realized that the front desk staff had neglected to tell me about the breakfast buffet (where and what time) and to give me the Wi-Fi password.

It's obvious that the front desk staff doesn't care about the guests, and I understand why.

Axor Feria general manager/director, Daniel Gonzalez behaved like the stereotypical used car salesman when I asked him why wasn't I billed correctly. During checkout, the Axor Feria billed me and I paid cash. Then, the Axor Feria charged my Mastercard for the second night after I had already checked out and left the hotel. Plus, the emailed receipt claims the payment was from a Visa credit card even though the Axor Feria charged my Mastercard.

Strange.

Gonzalez' response, "I don't see the problem". Let me tell you since 1985, I have never been charged for anything, at any hotel after I had already checked out.

When I asked why was I charged for two breakfasts when I was alone (the second person cancelled at the last minute), Axor Feria general manager, Daniel Gonzalez lied and claimed that the breakfast buffet was part of a package price. But their previous booking website indicates that the breakfast buffet was an additional 9 euro per person option. I have copies of the original booking. Even though I reserved two person breakfasts at some of the other hotels I used, all (except Axor Feria) billed for an one person breakfast without solicitation. The good hotels informed me that we reduced your final bill because only one breakfast was served.

Gonzalez goes on to mention "cheating" and "robbing" (guilty conscience) in his email because I complained after the Axor Feria charged me for a service I couldn't/didn't use and that cost them nothing additional. Go figure.

Finally, I witnessed the breakfast buffet attendant attempting to turn away latecomers even though the food was still available. She strongly discouraged the latecomers from entering the breakfast buffet room though she eventually relented. It was a completely unnecessary occurrence.

What I experienced at the Axor Feria; poor communication, irregular billing/accounting practices, dishonesty, bullying guests, clean modern rooms with no toiletries, no tissue or clock.

I believe that you can find better accommodations near the airport.

Thanks for reading.

MS

FYI: If you attempt to go out on the town at night, the taxi drivers will charge you a flat rate (to their advantage) instead of using the taxi meter.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank more_science
Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

Well located near the airport, a 10-minute shuttle ride, big rooms, a little impersonal (hey, it's an airport hotel). Perhaps a little more staff training?

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rybas
Bicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Contemporary Hotel located close to the aIrport. Rooms are large and very clean. The whole hotel has a very modern feel to it. Breakfast included an extensive selection of cereals and continental style food.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Claire O
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel design and decor are gorgeous. It's a very comfortable hotel. They also provide a airport shuttle for free (email them beforehand).
The downside is the location. We had to catch a bus + subway to get to town. However, the transportation is fairly good and fast.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank jasantunes
Glasgow, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

The employee are exceptionally helpful, we arrived earlier than our check-in time, as we travel with kids and infant we are kinda tired from the early flight we took. The receptionist help us to hasten the cleaner that prepare our room so that we can check in earlier, while waiting she usher us to wait at the second floor game room where my son got to play nintendo wii to keep him occupied.

To get to Madrid city centre, you have to take a bus and then change to a metro. We traveled with children but we found that it was not too troublesome. All bus are equiped with free wifi, it only took around 20mins max to reach a bus station with connecting metro.

Food wise, there is no restaurant nearby, you either eat in the hotel or you can buy food from Makro which is very nearby (but you would be deny entry if you are not a Makro member). It had connecting shuttle bus from and to the airport, so getting to the airport is easy and very near.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank robseet
Albuquerque, NM
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

By all means, this is a great overnight before an early flight. Rooms are functional and clean. Boarding pass printers were down though and there was no evidence that anything would be done about it. I went nextdoor to the Feria's sister hotel to get ours. The breakfast is downright terrible, but is something to fill your stomach until airport or airplane food. The shuttle is reliable, but don't forget to reserve your morning trip to the airport or you'll be left behind. Price is comparable to other airport hotels with a shuttle, but I think you can do better with Clement Barajas or Tach Hotel for about the same cost.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple