“OK if you travel on a budget”
Review of Hostal Abami II

Hostal Abami II
Ranked #19 of 277 Madrid B&B and Inns
Montreal, Canada
“OK if you travel on a budget”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I picked this hostel because I wanted to save money at the end of a trip. I learned my lesson: hostels are not for me anymore! The reviews were more than good so I thought this would be a safe choice even though it was not an hotel... but an hostel is an hostel.

I agree that location is great, and the rooms are nice given the ridiculously low price. However, I did not enjoy my stay there for the following reasons.

#1 The bad humidity smell in the rooms. It smell really bad, a persisting odor and it seems there was nothing to do about it according to the staff lady.
#2 The insects downstairs at night. I understand this is an old building, but does it really justifies having plenty of hard shell insects running on the floor when entering the building at night?
# 3 I cannot say the staff was friendly...

Having said all that, each individual has its own expectations and I don't say you should avoid this hostel. It is OK given the great price and location, and if you travel on a budget this is a good option. Finally, I must say that if you take the bad smell out of the equation, the room we had was nice and clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MQuagliano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ireland
Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the sister hostel to Abami II which is on the same street (No55). Easy to find too. Double room ensuite with sparkling clean room, crisp linen and a flat screen TV - this is a hostel??? Best of all was the fact that although the room opened onto the main street the double layers of glass, wooden shutters and blackout lined curtains meant it was quiet and dark until mid morning (not that sleep is what you come to Madrid for). Overall great value, location and service.

• Stayed September 2011
Sydney
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We are staying in Madrid for three night. We booked Abami going on trip advisor reviews and I can say they were spot on. The rooms are lovely. I would say the size of an average Hotel room maybe even bigger. New clean close to everything. We were lucky i guess as the lady on reception did speak english. So no problem there. The hostel is on the 3rd floor which we found no problem. Would highly recommend this Hostel. Lovely rooms at a excellent price. I have stayed in 5 star hotel rooms that are not any better so why pay the extra to get someone carry your bags to your room... Also if you are looking for a pre paid sim card for spain no problem at all getting one. Easy to buy here once you arrive. We found the local phone store sells them and we can highly recommend Laura who spoke perfect english at Telecor in Gran Via 59 round the corner from Calle San Bernardo you can purchase any of the service provider but she was able to help us wiht a prepaid sim card with data valid for a month which suited us as we are in spain for just under a month. I will update our next accommodation in Evora portugal.

Room Tip: if you have trouble with stairs dont stay here...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed 31 May 2012

In April I had to visit Madrid for an academic week in order to finish my MBA and I decided to stay at this hotel. Although the hotel's name says "hostal" it is definitely more akin to a small hotel than what one typically imagines when one hears the word hostel.
Here are the highlights of my stay - The Good:
Great location. Walking distance to Gran Via, Noviciado metro station, and basically anywhere in downtown Madrid. I walked over to plaza mayor several times without a hassle, you'll get there in about ten minutes.
The staff. Superb, extremely friendly. They were always asking how they could help and were helpful in every way. One clear example is that after Madrid we were traveling to Prague on a 6 AM flight. Since we had decided to not book another night since we would basically not be sleeping much, we asked to leave some stuff at Abami. They gladly watched over our stuff without a charge.
The rooms. Although small (by American standards), they were comfortable and clean. Housekeeping was done daily and the bathroom was always impeccable. Oh, and by the way, each room has its own facilities.
The Bad -
Not much that was bad, but just to nitpick, the rooms are not sound proof. This was not a problem for us since we had to be up early because of the academic program, but you could clearly catch a lot of noise from the reception.
The only other small downside was that there were no phones in the room and the public phone was broken, but there was a public phone place right around the corner that I was able to use (I know, I Know, who doesn't carry around a cellphone these days... I do while traveling outside my country because roaming charges are ridiculous).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is in the back or as far away from the reception as possible.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jaime H
Salta
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Great location in a quiet street just 20m from Noviciado subway station and one block from Gran Via. Ample rooms and facilities with LCD, wi-fi and good furniture. Helpful staff and easy to book the only downside is the sound insulation from the hall and reception so you may hear some noises if you stay until 10am in bed.
Overall the best value hotel in a 25 day trip, I would return anytime.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Superb location, 1 minute walk from Novicado metro station, 3 minutes from Gran Via, 7 from Plaza Espana. Rooms are clean and have new furnishings.

Small rooms, maaany stairs and no lift, personel speak spanish only.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 4 January 2012

you just got to be strong to climb those stairs.
a good location for a low budget traveller like me.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family