“DO NOT BOOK TO STAY HERE” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hostal Abami II

Hostal Abami II
Ranked #16 of 280 Madrid B&B and Inns
Almeria, Spain
“DO NOT BOOK TO STAY HERE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

I booked this hostel after seeing it on late rooms and reading previous reviews which were good.

The price on late rooms was advertised at 40€ a night for four nights in May in a double room with en suite which I thought was great value.

Late rooms were to 'confirm' my booking and provide me with an email notifiying me of this within 24 hours. After receiving no e-mail I called late rooms myself to find out what was going on, they were very helpful and got straight onto the phone to the Hostel for me but I was now told the room price had gone up to 50€ per night if I wanted to continue with this booking. I decided to leave it a few hours to discuss the increase with my travelling partner but we decided to go ahead anyway as previous reviews were so good. I then rang late rooms again to be told two of the nights had gone up to 55€ a night whilst the others remain at 50€- so a 50€ increase in the original price I had seen online!!!!!!

I then decided to contact the hotel myself, I exchanged various emails with Victor (who I think may be the manager) who was very, very, very unhelpful and basically tried to tell me that I had booked incorrectly and it was all my fault. I even sent him proof of my request from late rooms which showed 40€ a night but this must of been invisible?!!!

Basically, the hotel decide to put their prices up as they think it will be busier in May and the price of 40€ was only for a January stay (although I had entered May in my arrival and departure dates!!) He then went on to tell me that a 40€ room would only be a single and that I should 'check' their website to see he was telling the truth.

He offered no apologies, no solution and admitted to not understanding how the late rooms website/booking system works- WELL WHY USE IT THEN??

I strongly advise anyone not to stay here, not to book based on the reviews seen online as the hostel are trying to rip innocent travellers off before they have even arrived!!

I am now having to change my travel plans and look elsewhere for somewhere to stay. So thank you Hostal Abami for being so unprofessional, misleading and uncomprising. I WILL NOT be using you or recommending you in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a good room...in another hotel!!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Gent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

We had a very nice and perfectly clean room, with a large shower in the bathroom, and a flatscreen tv with over 50 channels. Not very huge, but more than what you could expect on such a central location in the capital of Spain.

Very close to a subway station (100m), to Plaza de Espana (300m) and even to Sol (a 10 minute walk). And all of this at a very reasonable price. No facilities, but it's still a hostal and not a hotel. A perfect place to sleep during a short trip to Madrid!

Gay-friendly.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Koen V
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Nice, clean rooms, perfect for couples + very good location (short walk to Gran Via & Plaza de Espana, close to metro station)! All in reasonable price. We'll definitelly stay there during our next trip to Madrid

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lmacheta
Mannheim, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Hostal Abami II turned out to be a great surprise. Given the cheap rate, I was suspicious, I wanted to believe that the pictures on the website were just made to look nice. However, it lived up to the standard and to the pictures! The room was clean, the floor sparkling, the linen crisp, the bed firm, the bathroom impeccable, all with very modern facilities, such as flat screen TV, electric "Rolladen", electronic key card, a safe, even fully-functioning air conditioner! I was more than impressed. The quality was so good so that our sleep was great. The room was also a good size, it is small but nevertheless sufficient space for two people without feeling crowded. I noticed that during the day time there was no receptioninst present, only the cleaning lady, that explains why I always only got reply of my emails from them only in the evening. The cleaning lady at the day time was unfortunately not so friendly, sort of indifferent to the guests, but gladly and happily took our luggage to the storage nevertheless. The man at the reception in the evening was very friendly and eager to help. He was great.

The place is close to two metro station, Noviciado and Plaza de Espana, it's a short walk from the Gran Via and Plaza Mayor. The location couldn't be better.

The downside of the hotel is that you need to go up two flight of stairs in a high-ceiling building (more steps!). If you are relatively fit without heavy luggage, that's no problem. For guest who are not in the condition to do so, could be tough. I'd also agree that the door wasn't too good. In the morning you couldn't hear the people outside. This didn't bother us, and it also wasn't overly early so that was a minor point for us.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Goofymimi
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

I picked this hostel because I wanted to save money at the end of a trip. I learned my lesson: hostels are not for me anymore! The reviews were more than good so I thought this would be a safe choice even though it was not an hotel... but an hostel is an hostel.

I agree that location is great, and the rooms are nice given the ridiculously low price. However, I did not enjoy my stay there for the following reasons.

#1 The bad humidity smell in the rooms. It smell really bad, a persisting odor and it seems there was nothing to do about it according to the staff lady.
#2 The insects downstairs at night. I understand this is an old building, but does it really justifies having plenty of hard shell insects running on the floor when entering the building at night?
# 3 I cannot say the staff was friendly...

Having said all that, each individual has its own expectations and I don't say you should avoid this hostel. It is OK given the great price and location, and if you travel on a budget this is a good option. Finally, I must say that if you take the bad smell out of the equation, the room we had was nice and clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MQuagliano
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the sister hostel to Abami II which is on the same street (No55). Easy to find too. Double room ensuite with sparkling clean room, crisp linen and a flat screen TV - this is a hostel??? Best of all was the fact that although the room opened onto the main street the double layers of glass, wooden shutters and blackout lined curtains meant it was quiet and dark until mid morning (not that sleep is what you come to Madrid for). Overall great value, location and service.

• Stayed September 2011
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We are staying in Madrid for three night. We booked Abami going on trip advisor reviews and I can say they were spot on. The rooms are lovely. I would say the size of an average Hotel room maybe even bigger. New clean close to everything. We were lucky i guess as the lady on reception did speak english. So no problem there. The hostel is on the 3rd floor which we found no problem. Would highly recommend this Hostel. Lovely rooms at a excellent price. I have stayed in 5 star hotel rooms that are not any better so why pay the extra to get someone carry your bags to your room... Also if you are looking for a pre paid sim card for spain no problem at all getting one. Easy to buy here once you arrive. We found the local phone store sells them and we can highly recommend Laura who spoke perfect english at Telecor in Gran Via 59 round the corner from Calle San Bernardo you can purchase any of the service provider but she was able to help us wiht a prepaid sim card with data valid for a month which suited us as we are in spain for just under a month. I will update our next accommodation in Evora portugal.

Room Tip: if you have trouble with stairs dont stay here...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple