“Being here twice & it was great!”
Review of Hostal Abami II

Hostal Abami II
Ranked #21 of 278 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The location of the Hostel is just perfect - few minutes from Plaza del Sol and Metro Station, and also on main shopping street. Rooms and bathroom were extremely clean and well equipped. WiFi was free and good signal. Perfect accommodation for visiting the city and great value for money!

Very nice personnel with poor knowledge of English but nevertheless very helpful.
No elevator.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostal Abami II

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We made a booking for 2 nights and got a good room that was to the inside of building.
There were 2 head boards, which showed that the 3rd bed was just makeshift.
But we had adequate space and ample light, so I'm not complaining.
A no-fuss checkin and checkout. Fabiola helped us with local travel information and spoke the best English compared to the other two receptionists we came across :-)
We were able to store our luggage after checkout.
That the bell was answered immediately (whenever we didn't have the keys) is really appreciated.

This is in the 2nd floor with no lift, but the staircase is quite wide so no problems there, though you'd have to tow up your luggage.

This is really close to Gran Via and the Metro San Domingo (2 mins walk).
I'd definitely go back again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2013

We had a very nice 4-night stay at this clean and comfortbable hostal in May 2013. It's well located on a side street just a block or so from Gran Via. Gustavo Reyes at the front desk is really nice and helpful, and speaks excellent English. He helped us with navigating the metro, and always had the time to talk with us. The hostal is difficult to find with a rental car, since the sign is very small, but the street address is accurate (you actually see the name of another hostal in the same building from the street). I recommend you park your car in a public lot and walk to the hostal. Also, be prepared to climb some steps with the luggage.

Given Madrid is a big city, the Abami II offers a great location and good value for the money. And Gustavo adds a lot of charm to the hostal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Walter H
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Stayed at Abami 1 last time in Madrid so thought we'd check out its sister this time. More modern rooms with better bathroom and electronic shutters but otherwise as expected - cheap (50€ for double room) central, spotless and friendly. Thy provide fresh towels each day ( 2 each which is important for those of us with long hair) and there is a desk & safe in the room.

Only downsides are that it is on second floor (not suited to those with 'stair issues') and the noise travels so it can be difficult to sleep unless you've partaken in a typical madrid night out ! Room 204 directly opposite front door and reception so avoid!

Room Tip: 204 opposite front door & reception!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We had a very pleasant surprise when staying here. Even if it was only for a night, we were very tired and in the same time willing to walk as much as possible in the center of Madrid.
The location is perfect: it's very close to the subway station and to the spot places in Madrid: Plaza de Espana, Gran Via and Plaza de Sol.
The room was quite good, not very little, very clean and with all the facilities provided.
The only inconvenient is the lack of the elevator. If you have big luggage, just be prepared! Two floors to go.
I totally recommend this for couples and is a perfect location to stay for short & cheap trips.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AndreeaConstantin
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I booked this hostel after seeing it on late rooms and reading previous reviews which were good.

The price on late rooms was advertised at 40€ a night for four nights in May in a double room with en suite which I thought was great value.

Late rooms were to 'confirm' my booking and provide me with an email notifiying me of this within 24 hours. After receiving no e-mail I called late rooms myself to find out what was going on, they were very helpful and got straight onto the phone to the Hostel for me but I was now told the room price had gone up to 50€ per night if I wanted to continue with this booking. I decided to leave it a few hours to discuss the increase with my travelling partner but we decided to go ahead anyway as previous reviews were so good. I then rang late rooms again to be told two of the nights had gone up to 55€ a night whilst the others remain at 50€- so a 50€ increase in the original price I had seen online!!!!!!

I then decided to contact the hotel myself, I exchanged various emails with Victor (who I think may be the manager) who was very, very, very unhelpful and basically tried to tell me that I had booked incorrectly and it was all my fault. I even sent him proof of my request from late rooms which showed 40€ a night but this must of been invisible?!!!

Basically, the hotel decide to put their prices up as they think it will be busier in May and the price of 40€ was only for a January stay (although I had entered May in my arrival and departure dates!!) He then went on to tell me that a 40€ room would only be a single and that I should 'check' their website to see he was telling the truth.

He offered no apologies, no solution and admitted to not understanding how the late rooms website/booking system works- WELL WHY USE IT THEN??

I strongly advise anyone not to stay here, not to book based on the reviews seen online as the hostel are trying to rip innocent travellers off before they have even arrived!!

I am now having to change my travel plans and look elsewhere for somewhere to stay. So thank you Hostal Abami for being so unprofessional, misleading and uncomprising. I WILL NOT be using you or recommending you in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a good room...in another hotel!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 November 2012

We had a very nice and perfectly clean room, with a large shower in the bathroom, and a flatscreen tv with over 50 channels. Not very huge, but more than what you could expect on such a central location in the capital of Spain.

Very close to a subway station (100m), to Plaza de Espana (300m) and even to Sol (a 10 minute walk). And all of this at a very reasonable price. No facilities, but it's still a hostal and not a hotel. A perfect place to sleep during a short trip to Madrid!

Gay-friendly.