“Little gem in central Madrid”
Review of Hostal Gala

Hostal Gala
Ranked #170 of 438 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Fabulous location - right next to a Metro station, just round the corner from Opera and five minutes from the Royal Palace. Loads of restaurants, bars and cafes locally.
We booked the five-bed apartment - perfect for a family or group of friends, with room to relax and a fully-equipped kitchen.
Really good value for a capital city.
A wee bit noisy if you're not used to city centres.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the small (and therefore quite noisy when busy) reception area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tigersfan
There are newer reviews for Hostal Gala

Reviewed 13 April 2012

This is an excellent low budget hotel in a great location. Our room was clean, comfortable and well designed we also had a little balcony overlooking a square. The bathroom looked new, clean and had a great shower.

All the staff were friendly and helpful and when we needed an extra bed quite late in the evening the receptionist was very helpful and pleasant about setting it up for us and making sure we were all comfortable and happy.

The hotel doesn't offer breakfast but they have a coffee machine and snacks in the common area and can also recommend some places to eat.

The only negative was that the walls were a bit thin so it got a bit noisy at times but overall the quality, location and price of this hotel made it a great base for exploring Madrid!

5  Thank Angela R
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Just 5 mins walk to Sol.
LIFT!!! LIFT!! LIFT!!
Opposite hostal a lot of cafes n restaurante.
Best for muslims as few HALAL rest just rite in front of the hostal! (4 may be)
I love the room n SHOWER especially!! Even 4 star hotel dont even have that kind of shower/bathroom. but to be honest a bit expensive compared to other hostals n the one i stayed before. But off course the location, Gala is the closest to Sol.

Tips;
if u guys arriving with metro, just go down at SOL station n drag your bag, still less than 10 mins. easier instead of changing your metro to the other line n to get down at St Domingo (SD). Tho the SD station right in front of Gala, but the hassle to get to the other line/ platforms with no lift! and even to get out frm SD. Unless u dont have any suitcases! But still if u dont have any baggage, better to walk from SOL, believe me!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stay in a triple room, the room was nearby to the reception area.
The wall was so thin that we can hear what the people said in the reception area. It was quite noisy during the check in and check out time.
The room was too small for 3 persons, the room size was so tiny, it was smaller than a standard triple room. I think it's size seems like a single room or max for a couple in a double bed only. There is no space for the suitcase, we can't fully open it.
We had no extra space, every time when we get back to the room, we can only stay in our single bed.
Also the door lock of our room didn't work very well, everyday, we need to try many times to lock and open it.
I don't think I will stay here again.
The only Pos is location, it close to the Metro station.

4  Thank chungkk
An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 24 February 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank An EasyToBook.com traveler
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Rooms were clean and they had the BEST showers. Staff were helpful, supplied hairdryers etc when I asked. The only problem was they stuffed up our booking and gave us a triple room instead of a double which is what we asked for. But apart from that the hostel itself is quite nice and modern inside. There is no kitchen however.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Unknown66
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I got a single room. The room is small but enough for solo. Bed is very comfy. I had my own bathroom which was important to me. Rain shower in the bathroom. What else would you ask for after a whole day in Prado or Reina Sofia? The location is super. It's one street across the metro station and later I realized it's walking distance to all those sites. Walking one or two blocks and you would be on Gran Via.

Staff was very friendly and nice. They told me how to take the metro to the airport, which can be a little tricky. There is no phone in the room but if you need a wake up call they would come to knock at your door in the morning.

I guess the walls are really thin since I could hear the girls next door giggling. But the staff tried to tell them to be quiet. I bought my earplugs so my neighbors did not bother me too much.

Room Tip: Ask them for the free walking tour in the city. I took one and i liked it.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo