“Incredible value”
Review of Hostal Gala

Hostal Gala
Ranked #184 of 441 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My son and I are here now for 2 nights. Hostal Gala is all that the good reviews say it is. Nice rooms for the money. A good firm bed that provides a great sleep. Incredibly friendly and helpful staff. Good location just across a small park from the Santo Domingo stop on Metro's Red line. The bath is smallish but the shower is spectacular. Everything is clean. The only thing I wish it had is at least one English language channel on the small TV in the room. It gets dozens of channels so you would think that they could add perhaps CNN or anything else in English. Small complaint, though. The truth is that I wasn't expecting a TV in the room in the first place, so I can't really gripe about the channel selection.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
galmad, Director de Recepción at Hostal Gala, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you for your great review, Wiley. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! It was nice having you here and I hope you know that you can feel free to contact us at any time for anything you need. Have a very nice trip! Irene.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

I was a bit apprehensive at booking a ‘Hostal’ rather than a hotel for our 1 night stop over in Madrid, however – we were pleasantly surprised. We booked the economy room at €49 as we hadn’t come to Madrid to enjoy a hotel room. It was clean, towels were provided, air con worked great, the standard double bed was comfortable and the shower amazing. Wifi worked great and plenty of sockets for phone/laptop charging. Location is excellent, right near 2 or 3 metro stops and also a stones throw from El Corte Ingles, the supermarket.

We didn’t have a balcony but weren’t too bothered as there were several bars nearby selling 5 or 6 bottles of beer for €3 - €5 which were great for people watching.

We didn’t have any problem with noise – probably because we were too tired to notice.

The staff on reception spoke great English and were very willing to help with any questions. The only problem we had was checking out. We had to wait a while as several people were checking in and out at the same time and this made us late for our booked bike tour. Just a small suggestion that they could give you the option of payment on arrival as you can’t add anything to your room anyway – this would speed up the checking out process.

Overall, great place to stay, I would recommend it and would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you're just looking for a place to comfortably rest your head and a decent shower - I suggest...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to know that you had such a great stay and we hope to see you again one day.

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

One of the best hostels is stayed in. Friendly service, will go above and beyond to help guests!
Rooms were great, had our own private double room an ensuite. Couldn't complain one bit about this hostel, can't rate it highly enough!
Price was good for the location and facilities. Would recommend to anyone looking to stay in madrid!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you very much for your nice review. We are always glad to welcome you here again in case you come back to Madrid one day. :)

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed recently at this hostal. The service was good and the location, perfect
The rooms are clean and well decorated
The hostal is a bit noisy though, because the walls are very thin so you can hear people in the corridors or other rooms
Also some details in the rooms are missing (plugs, place to put the soap in the shower, etc)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This was, by far, one of the best hostels I've ever stayed throughout Europe (and I've been in many places). If you're lucky enough to get a window and/or balcony overlooking the little piazza it will be even better. The staff were always court and when we complained re loud music and noise coming from a bar below (it was a public holiday so it wasn't really their fault, or the bar's fault) they immediately sought to change our room to a quieter area.

I also liked the simple and clean interior design.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2013

Very well-located.Hostal Gala is close to several subway lines, which made coming in from the airport a breeze. And its central location made it possible to walk to pretty much any destination in the heart of Madrid.

If you want to be cosseted, this isn't your place. On the other hand, I was concerned it would be incredibly bare-bones, living up to the hostel name, with incredibly bare-bones accommodations, and it was several steps above. We weren't looking to hang out in our room so Hostal Gala proved a wonderful base. It was spare, but clean. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The only two negatives: The walls are somewhat thin. And while they say they have wi-fi, it regularly didn't work in my room.

Room Tip: If you're traveling as a couple, say so, or you might get a room with several single beds.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I had a really great experience at Hostal Gala! The location is very central and convenient. The staff was consistent, friendly, and knowledgable! I was also very impressed with the communication of the staff after booking. I received and email asking when we would be arriving so that they could try to have our room ready! I believe our bed was a memory foam and was very comfortable. Nice bathrooms, although the room was a bit small. The only negative I can say was that the room next to us was being renovated so it was quite noisy, but only during the day. The square outside can be a bit loud at night as well, but it really didn't bother us, and it is just expected when you are in a city that is known for it's nightlife! I would definitely stay here again, and will recommend to anyone traveling to sexy Madrid!

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from reception and with a balcony. Loved it!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends