“Good Location, Affordable”
Review of Hostal Ivor

Hostal Ivor
Ranked #58 of 278 Madrid B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2013

The hostal is located just a few blocks off of Puerta del Sol, along a pedestrian street with restaurants, shops, and bars. It is easily located if you look UP, where there is a sign along the side of the building's upper floors.

You need to buzz into the building each time, and the office is located on the third floor. You will need to be let into the section with the rooms each time you return, but at least it is secure. Access is 24 hours.

The rooms are small and basic, but adequate for your needs. They are clean and well laid out. The one odd thing: we had a double room, but they only gave us one pillow--a long, "bodypillow" type. So essentially we had to share this long pillow during our stay. I am sure you could request another, if you like.

One warning: they area is very party-oriented. Which means there is a lot of noise, especially--but not exclusively--on weekends. On friday, we heard singing and chanting from the street until 4am.

We would certainly stay here again, but we might look for something a little more posh for a couple's getaway. This is more a home-base for a short layover in the city during a tour of Spain.

Room Tip: I don't know the area well enough to suggest which side would be most quiet, but I would ask for...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ccarson29
There are newer reviews for Hostal Ivor

Reviewed 6 June 2013

What is it that a traveler needs from an accommodation? Cleanliness, safety, comfort, and friendliness are essentials. Now, add an incredible central location convenient for sightseeing and you have an incredible value. We were forced into a late arrival because of flight delays coming from Lisbon. We were greeted warmly and taken to a room in a seemingly empty establishment (most of the other room doors were open because they were empty). Our beds were comfortable. The attendant did not speak English, which was actually kind of nice as it forced me to use my Spanish skills. We had previously stayed at a posher hotel about a block away, but I will definitely make this my home base the next time I am in Madrid.

Room Tip: The hotel is several floors up. We requested a quiet room, which we received.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lil_Librarian
Reviewed 17 May 2013

I would recommend hostel Igor to anybody who is looking for reasonably priced,clean hotel with a central location.A five minute stroll from sol square and playa Mayor with plenty of typical Spanish tapas bars.We stayed for 3nights and had our room cleaned every day...staff are very helpful..would stay here again without any question.

Room Tip: Don't taxi from airport...there's a bus right outside airport for 5euros...get off at playa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barny64
Reviewed 7 May 2013

This is a small "hostal" that delivers what it promises: a nice, clean room, good wifi, clean private bathrooms, working elevators... I have stayed there 3 times and they are always friendly and the standard of the rooms has remained as it should. Do not expect design or a modern environment, but it does have a clean and renovated feel, not like those hostels where you can find the old bed or the covers from the grandma of the owners! this place is just neat.

The location is just wonderful, walking distance to 2 metro stations, Opera Station has an elevator so if you are coming with luggage you can just catch the metro from the airport to Opera.

They helped us booking a flamenco show and were helpful delivering messages, and we had to organise a pick-up of a parcel with a courier and they were happy to keep it for collection which was very nice so we could get on with our day.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank IRL-MexAus
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Stayed at Hostal Ivor for a few nights when first arrived in Spain. Great spot between Sol and Opera Metros.

Good sized clean rooms and bathrooms and the hosts were quite helpful. Would recommend for the location.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hurfie
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I had an excellent stay here at the end October. The location is fabulous.....central to all major sites...easy to take the Metro or walk. My room no.13 was extremely clean. When I asked for a hairdryer and fridge, they were delivered to me immediately. The adjustable thermostat in the room (heat) worked well....not too hot or too cold. The staff is great...very friendly and helpful. Though, I did have difficulty with internet/wi-fi......This is an old building with thick walls, difficult to get a connection....very intermittent; but was able to get a strong connection in the lobby/registration desk on the 2nd floor (I occasionally kept the receptionist company there while checking my email). Plenty of electrical outlets, too, for gadgets! En-suite bathroom was kept immaculately. Water pressure in shower was great; small shampoo and aloe vera gel soap was a nice touch. I had a room with a balcony overlooking Calle de Arenal. It can be noisy some nights as it is a main pedestrian street, but street noise does not bother me. Street cleaners are very meticulous in the wee hours of the morning. TV in room has all Spanish-language stations. I was extremely impressed with this little hostal and look forward to future stays here. I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Very good location, friendly staff, very clean.
I definitely will go back again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com