“If you travel into Madrid by rail, this is a super hotel.”
Review of AC Hotel Atocha

AC Hotel Atocha
Ranked #184 of 442 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We traveled back to Madrid by rail during our trip and we arrived at the Atocha rail station in the middle of Madrid. I'd never been to the rail station (or the hotel) before and when we walked to the taxi stand the driver did look surprised when I asked to be taken to the AC Atocha hotel. He took off from the station and within three minutes, we pulled up in front of the hotel! It's located about 3 blocks from the station.

Our room was very comfortable (with another shower in the middle of the room) quiet and very well designed. The hotel was very busy during our stay however at no time did we feel rushed or left to fend for ourselves. They have a wonderful breakfast buffet and drinks and snacks available in the room. All in all a great property in a terrific location.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill L

Reviewed 11 January 2014

This is a Marriott so it is a good hotel. But there are some things I didn't like and this information may help you. The shower has glass walls and is between the bed and the sink. I can be in bed and watch my wife brush her teeth at the sink through the shower. That means whoever is in the shower can be watched by anyone in the room. The toilet is in a separate room and the light is activated when the door is open. I couldn't leave the door open at night because the light would stay on. There is no carpeting in the room. I don't like standing on cold, hard floors in bare feet. Very uncomfortable for me. My wife felt like the location was a little iffy. It was a little side street. The cab driver didn't know where it was. But we were safe enough there. I also felt like the staff wasn't very friendly or didn't go out of their way to help. If I asked a question, I usually got a yes or no answer with no elaboration. The exception was Jacobo. He was very nice and very helpful. The others at the desk were not. One morning, we only had one towel. I don't like drying myself with a wet towel. When we left the hotel that morning, I asked the desk person to make sure we got 2 towels and that I was unhappy to have only one. She said ok and made a note in the computer to give us two towels. No apology, no comment. I got the feeling that I was unusual for asking for 2 towels.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main building. There is a building behind and you have to go outside from the ma...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank byuaceman
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed at the AC Atocha on our recent trip in September to Spain. It was not an easy place to find and once we did it take a while to get used to. There were two buildings, and we stayed in the second building, which was quite a distance from the lobby via an elevator and a trip through a courtyard. The room was okay, but not great. It was small and sort of plain. Well maintained though.
The hotel was conveniently located however for us to catch a high speed train at the station that took us to Barcelona. The convenience was wonderful.

Room Tip: Ask for main building.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Have been here for business trip, the hotel is very close to the Atocha train station, very central in Madrid. Very modern hall, nice and comfortable room, I like the style with glass shower in the middle of the room, bang & Olifson phone, and plenty of spaces.
Breakfast was great as well lots of choices, fresh baked bread, and good quality food.
People at the reception very professional, nothing to complain, I might say they are not very well preparred at customers issue, for instance I forgot my toothpaste it was late night and we're not able to provide me with a teeth brush set...
Overall good experience, I would consider staying at this hotel when in Madrid for pleasure trip as well.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Great looking rooms, excellent design, but front step attitude horrible. Wife waited 30 minutes in lobby with 4 suitcases and baby in carrier before staff even offered to help her to her room, while I dropped of the rental car. Bathroom lights are on a sensor that cuts out and staff response was we know but there is nothing we can do about it. Marriot needs to teach staff "Can Do" culture if they don't want this joint venture to bring down their reputation. I've stayed in other AC Hotels before the joint venture without any issues, so this is my first AC Hotels by Marriot experience and I was highly disappointed.

Room Tip: Wall are a little thin, so ask or and end or the corridor room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Beautiful hotel and room but the showers are a glass see through box! We are far from prudes but we like our privacy when we shower. This place is fine if you are traveling solo but if you are a parent and child - unless you are nudists you will not like. As husband and wife, I still value my privacy and don't want my husband and vica versa watching me while I shower. It's all a bit too weird. I wouldn't even like this on my honeymoon. We left immediately and asked for a refund. They hotel understood as it was not mentioned on Hotels.com that the showers are see through. They could not refund us but Hotels.com did refund us when we returned home. The AC was very helpful in helping us find alternative nearby accommodation. They had a great staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hotel is some 7 minutes on foot from the airport bus stop (you have to walk through the Atocha station to get it the other side), 15 min on foot from Prado museum, and 30 min on foot from Plaza Mayor-area. In other words, it is not very convenient for those staying in Madrid, but extremely convenient for those with early morning trains out of the city.

The decor is modern, black and white with a lot of steel, which makes the room very elegant, but maybe not a place to go for a romantic get-away. I loved it, and especially the shower, but to some it might feel cold and unpersonal. The room was very quiet, well-sized and clean.

Although close to the main train station, the area felt safe, even late at night.

The cons:
No free wi-fi in the room!!!
The breakfast starts at 07.30 a.m., which is relatively late for a place whose guests stay there in order to take early morning trains.
There was no bread or other bakery good at breakfast, although, judging by the presence of jams and sliced hams, they bread was supposed to be served as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family