“Excellent Half Marathon hotel”
Review of AC Hotel Atocha

AC Hotel Atocha
Ranked #198 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed here when I ran the Madrid half marathon, it was very welcoming and allowed me to have a late check out. I have also stayed at the other AC hotel in Madrid the Carlton and they are very similar. Has a luxurious feel. Parking was complimentary. The hotel is a little secluded so not ideal if you are using the metro.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank KennelEightyFive

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed overnight as transiting through Madrid to Zaragoza. Check in very efficient but easy to get confused in accessing rooms as they're in another building via a lift & short walk through a courtyard. However, rooms are very clean & modern, with all the facilities you could require for a short stay. Could do with more English language TV channels than one!
The bathrooms are amazing with a great power shower, both rain and handset type - and jets from the wall. Towels are nice & soft - just wish they'd stop providing the soap only in shape / size of a golf ball !
Restaurant menu limited but quality & value fine, service good. Breakfast served in another room - limited hot food but overall OK.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I have stayed at quite a few AC Hotels and I have certain issues with them. This is a very nice one, I like it more than AC Las Americas for instance.
First of all I have no problem with the area. Yes, it does not look great at night and I don't know how safe it is. But there is a few bars/restaurants around and it is very close to Atocha and also not too far from the city centre. I had a beautiful walk to Puerta del Sol through Santa Isabel and Atocha streets, it shows you the real Madrid, not just the touristy one.
As I said in my headline, the design of this hotel is quite different. Other posters have commented on the glass shower and yes, it really is completely transparent. The water pressure is fantastic. If you are travelling with someone who you don't like to see you in the nude or viceversa, don't go! In the opposite case this might just be the place for you.
I stayed in the second building and I really liked it. Getting there was not as difficult as some reviewers make it out, you have to go through a corridor decorated with hideous vases (the designer again!) and you have to pass a nice quiet patio. I didn´t mind it at all. The room was very clean and very practical. No wardrobe but enough hanging space, a comfortable bed, flatscreen TV, toiletries (though scarce).
Issues I had, as with the other ACs: sound proofing especially between rooms, the windows are ok; expensive internet (12 Euros per gadget!!); expensive parking (but this is Madrid).
The staff was very friendly and helpful. Would go again if the price was right.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Liv V
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Certainly one of the more modern hotels--even for Spain. I was a bit surprised to see that there was no closet in the room. You pretty much have to just hang your clothes on rods. The bathroom was unlike any other I've used. There was a sliding door made of black glass to separate it from the hallway, yet there was no door to separate the shower (that I could find).

I never found out from the staff if my rate included breakfast, but we had to leave very early, so it didn't matter. In any case, it's a decent place with a good location if you need to use the train to depart Madrid (or need the Cercanias train direct to the airport terminal 4).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UA787
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We picked this hotel based on the reviews as well as being very close to the atocha station. coming from barajas airport, the hotel is just a few blocks away. very convenient if one is walking with luggage. it was also very convenient for our departure on the high speed train from atocha to Malaga. If one takes a day side trip to Toledo, this train also leaves from Atocha. As for hotel, check in was a breeze, cordial staff. Breakfast on the weekends starts at 8am. Room was in the 2nd building. I requested a room in the main building but they said it was full. The trek to the 2nd building is not as bad as some made out on reviews here. However, if one is taking a lot of luggage, I can understand their point. Room was very roomy and clean. No dust was found anywhere! Bathroom was excellent. Separate toilet area and a huge shower with excellent pressure. large safe in room. beds were comfortable. There was also two comfortable chairs and table to relax by. Our room faced the quiet courtyard. We were very happy with it. Only criticism of room was the door is not very well insulated. One can hear everything that goes on in the hallway. As for breakfast, buffet area is oddly set up with two separate areas. Kitchen staff does not seem well organized. they asked 3x for our room number. It would make much more sense to ask the people when they immediately enter the dining room and not going around the room several times disturbing people. Quality of the food was very good but they should do away with the super slow nespresso maker and just give coffee in small carafes. check out easy. excellent price and deal.

Room Tip: If noise is an issue, ask for a room facing courtyard
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We read Tripadvisor reviews on several hotels in the Marriott group before deciding on this hotel and we were not disappointed. For the conditions; we received a friendly welcome at check in. As we booked 2 rooms (1 room for our teenagers) we sent a fax a couple of days before our stay to request rooms close together - on the same floor... We were delighted when they allocated us two rooms next to each other which showed good customer service. In addition as the second room was twin beds, the glass/see through shower was tastefully concealed with a black band for privacy. Both rooms were in excellent condition, modern, comfortable, spacious and clean. Luxurious shower, unlimited hot water. TV with English speaking channels, possibility to change films from Spanish into original version using the remote control. We didn't take breakfast in the hotel partly because we didn't get up early and we didn't want to pay 60 euros per day for it (4 people). Location; excellent 5 minutes walk from the train station/central bus station. Just a couple of metro stops to get to the city centre. A Shuttle bus service to and from the airport for 5 euros per person. The hotel is also ideally located in the museums district (Prado, Thyssen, Reina Sofia etc..) We were very satisfied with our choice and would return there.

Room Tip: High floor. We liked the annexe building with view of the gardens - very calm. It's a choice t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Chose the hotel through internet (tripadvisor) though had mixed reviews but we took the plunge and we were glad that we opted for it. The hotel is actually walking distance from Atocha train station, if you take the pedestrian gate through the departure building, otherwise taxi is a a few minutes trip except they charge you extra 5euros from the train station.
The room is spacious with black and gray theme done up in a contemporary style but the highlight is the shower which was most discussed in the reviews i read. It is in the middle of room with see through glass walls, but was a treat after a long train journey.
The staff was very helpful in suggesting us where to go for Flamenco performance and how to get there. They kept our luggage for free for our over night trip to Tolledo.
I would recommend the place especially if you are to travel via train and even otherwise getting into downtown is no problem as metro station is in the Atocha train station which 5 min away. Great squeaky clean place with spacious rooms.

Room Tip: we took a smoking room and it was spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple