“I won't be back”
Review of AC Hotel Atocha

AC Hotel Atocha
Ranked #191 of 440 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 24 May 2014

For a look at how a hotel should operate, check out my review of the AC Hotel Victoria Suites in Barcelona. THAT place is service-oriented and friendly. Unfortunately, the AC Hotel Atocha is not.

The location is great, the rooms are clean, but the service is the reason I won't return. When I asked front desk staffer for a bucket of ice, he dismissed me to the bar. When I politely asked the bartender for some ice, I received a condescending denial and a curt suggestion that I call room service. Fortunately, the room service guys were cool, as were the maids, but most of the rest of the staff were not.

And how 'bout a cup of coffee or tea in the morning? Well, at the AC Hotel Atocha, they don't provide a coffee maker or an electric kettle. I called the front desk and politely asked if they could bring me a kettle to heat some water and the woman told me, as if talking to a 6 year-old, that they didn't have coffee makers or kettles. I travel a lot for business and I've been all over the planet; this is the first hotel I've ever experienced, anywhere, that didn't offer the ability to have a cup of coffee or tea in your room.

I went down to the restaurant to see if I could get a couple cups of coffee, and it was in the process of closing. When I asked one of the staff if I could buy a cup of coffee to go, he looked at me like I was asking him for his first born, and reluctantly got me a cup.

So if you do stay at this hotel, against my advice, and you want a cup of coffee or tea in the morning, you'll need to head over to one of the El Corte Inglés department stores where you can pick up an electric travel kettle for 20 Euros.

I won't be back.

2  Thank lairdgrainger

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We were looking for a nice hotel, close to the RENFRE station and easy touring of Madrid, and this hotel was just right for us. We also prefer Marriott properties because we have not ever been disappointed with our accommodations when booking with them

We found the AC Atocha to be super modern and clean. I see that some reviewers have called the decorating rather stark, but I found it somehow relaxing. The bathroom included an awesome shower with many, many shower heads, which was a real treat! We also enjoyed the extra firm king sized bed and large balcony, overlooking the train station area. The room ( we were in the main building), was very quiet, even though it was only a couple of blocks from busy avenues.

The entire staff was very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed a quiet glass of wine and some tapas on the hotel terrace our last night in Madrid. Our very accommodating waiter visited with us about our travels and his home in Romania and both my husband and I agreed that this hotel, was just perfect for us.

If you go there, I hope it will be perfect for you also!

And kudos to you, Marriott for another great, yet affordable, hotel!

Room Tip: We were in the main building. Other reviewers seem to think that the secondary building is too hard...
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The hotel is of modern design, but the colour scheme, mostly shades of gray, is somewhat depressing. The hotel comprises two buildings linked by a covered walkway, and as we were in the second building we found that trips to and from the street and our room were too long. Enter main building: descend one floor by lift: walk through lower floor of main building, then across to second building, take lift to our floor. Hmmm.

The room itself was fine, with reasonable furnishings and storage space. For us the fact that the shower was in a clear glass box so you could watch TV whilst showering, or the person not showering could watch the one who was, was not a problem. Others more inhibited may find this embarrassing.

We found that the heavy curtains did keep out the sun first thing in the morning, but if they had been 20 cm wider then we woud not have had a bright stripe each side of the window.

We only used the restaurant for breakfast, which was €15 each and adequate, but there was no hot food. The dinner menu looked to be short on choice and slighty expensive.

On the plus side, the location 10 minutes from Atocha station and about the same to a metro station, was excellent. The hotal also has private parking at €18 per day. The staff interacted with were helpful and efficient.

Overall the rating should be slightly less than VERY GOOD, but it is better than AVERAGE.
We would use this hotel again.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We booked 2 rooms at the hotel in March for a one night stay. At 5 in the morning, my wife and I were awakened by the sound of water. At first we thought it was raining, but then we realized it was in the room. Water was pouring through the ceiling in the shower. My wife used the toilet, which is in a separate room while I called the front desk. While she was using the toilet, water began pouring through the light fixture in the toilet room onto her head. The hotel sent someone up to wipe up the water and I think he then went to the room above and did something. The water continued to flow heavily for about 5 minutes and trickled and then dripped for a couple hours after that. Because the shower has a raised metal floor, the dripping was very loud as it hit. I put a towel in the shower but it was still pretty loud. The hotel was full so they could not move us. They offered us a free breakfast as compensation for the inconvenience but only for 2 of us. The buffet breakfast did not look that good and cost 14 euros. I complained and got nowhere. I asked to speak to a manager but was told none were available. We left and ate elsewhere for 16 euros for the entire family and frankly the food was terrific. I have since complained to the hotel and they are not willing to do anything, in part because we booked through Expedia rather than directly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank benjohnston
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I have now stayed at AC Atocha Hotel four years for about a week to ten days each stay. The location is close to the train station and pretty close to the center of the city, however the immediate location only has a few restaurants (most which operate on Spanish time). I would suggest a restaurant called Rincon Asturiana--if you make a left out of the hotel and go two blocks down, it will be on the corner on the left side painted yellow and a painted cow in front. This restaurant has a couple waiters that speak some English and they also open at "tourist" eating times (i.e. 6:30pm) and have a restaurant setting in the back if you go past the bar.
Pros about the place: modern look (may be a plus or minus for you) including a funky shower that is see through, so beware when sharing with others if you do not want to reveal all, close to the train station, good quality and decent offerings for breakfast, and reasonable rates (our company had us paying 120-150 euros depending on the day of the week).
Cons: rooms are small, there is no bath (which is not always common in Europe, but I love my baths!), internet is only free in the lobby (you can pay 12 euros for a 24 hour ticket that lasts 24 hours you spend online, not consecutively) and internet everywhere is pretty terrible, to the point that you can't stream videos, and room service menu is very sparse and only offered at Spanish times (full menu opens at 8pm, otherwise only a small cold menu).
There are also two buildings in the hotel, to get to the other building, you have to go down an elevator and depending on which floor of the other building, often times up another elevator just to get to your room. It wouldn't have been so much of a hassle, if my keys didn't stop working when I finally reached my room on the other side--to have to go back two elevator flights down and up and then back down and up just to get into my room. During my stay this time, my keys stopped working four times, not including two times I was proactive and had my keys activated just in case, before heading to my room. I also had to change rooms during my stay--I was informed by one receptionist that it was due to maintenance and another said it was because the whole floor was booked for meetings. I did see the floor was used for meetings and I was not completely comfortable with how they handled the changing rooms.
There is a parking lot, however I am not sure the prices as I did not use it.
Overall, I had an average stay. I would suggest requesting a room in the main building where the lobby is, so you don't have the hassle of going back and forth between buildings.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building so you don't have to take two elevators to get to your room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Van K
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed overnight at AC Hotel Atocha in February and were blown away by the amazing service and helpfulness of the staff. Unfortunately we were only there overnight to recover from the long flight before catching the train the following morning to the south of Spain. Our luggage had been lost and left in Heathrow and the hotel went above and beyond in trying to assist us in working with the airline to make sure that the luggage was delivered (which being a Sunday evening, we were more than a little concerned about) but at 10:30pm that night our luggage arrived and that would not have happened without the helpfulness and kindness of the great staff that day! For location and proximity to the station, AC Hotel Atocha can't be beat! The cafe/restaurant on site are very enjoyable and the garden outside is absolutely charming for enjoying a nice coffee and relax! The rooms, while small, are beautifully designed and modern and the beds are extremely comfortable. Overall the property is first class and the service truly make this stand out...there are many five star properties I've stayed at where they could have learned a great deal from the experience we had with AC Hotel Atocha. Thank you to the staff for turning a fairly stressful and exhausting day into a wonderful way to start our vacation in Spain!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

If my wife and I had to compare this to one of the Marriott brands in the U.S., we would have to say this is a sleek and modern Courtyard. The rooms are small, but they make good use of the space with the layout and storage. They are clean, up-to-date and we liked the fact you can open up the window and get fresh air into the room. Staff were really nice and helpful.

Similar to what others have said, the downside is the walls are thin and you can hear everything in the hallway. It was noisy in the mornings when housekeeping would start vacuuming, but we were already up and getting ready to leave so it wasn't a big deal.

The hotel is really close to the Atocha train station which was very convenient. Puerta de Sol was only 4 stops away on the Metro or 1 stop away on the Renfe. It's also within walking distance to the Prado Museum.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple