“A good hotel in a fantastic location.”

Hotel Santo Domingo Madrid
Ranked #234 of 436 Hotels in Madrid
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“A good hotel in a fantastic location.”
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Mecure Santo Domingo for a four day city break. The hotel is in a excellent location, very central with the Santo Domingo metro station outside the hotel. The hotel is just a short walk from Gran Via, the Palacio Real (turn right after the square and walk down the side street) and Opera Square with lots of bars and restaurants nearby. When we arrived at the hotel we were given room 143, a black and white room, very modern and stylish with a lovely bathroom and bathrobes. The breakfast was great, a good selection and the staff were helpful, the breakfast waiter was particularly friendly and polite. The Spanish omelette served at breakfast was delicious as were the juices.
After our first day in the city we returned to the hotel ready for a good night's sleep. When we entered our room we could hear a thudding sound from very loud music, it continued and we couldn't rest. We went to reception to complain. The gentleman on reception was on the phone chatting and made us wait a while before acknowledging us, he then left the phone off the hook to continue his call and was impatient when dealing with our complaint. We were told that the music wasn't from the hotel and it was out of his control. I explained that we wouldn't be able to sleep in our current room. Reluctantly, the gentleman said we could move to the only available room in the hotel, we accepted.
We were moved to room 216, which unfortunately was a smoking room (we were not informed of this) it was decorated in lilac and of a much lower standard than our previous room. The bathroom was dated with dirty grouting and ugly fittings, the bedroom accessories were also dated and unattractive. Within the bedroom, the smell of smoke was awful, we opened the window and managed to get some sleep. In the morning we couldn't stand the smell, the bedding smelt of smoke and by this time, we did too!!
Again I went to reception to raise my concerns, I was told by a helpful receptionist that floor 2 is a smoking floor and she would organise another room on floor 4 for us that afternoon. I asked if we would hear the music again from this room but was told that the music came from a party in the car park next door to the hotel and this wasn't taking place again that evening! We were given room 432 which was a Japenese themed room, it was spacious and tastefully decorated. The bathroom however had no shelves or ledges to store toiletries and the plug hole for the shower couldn't drain the water quick enough resulting in a flooded bathroom floor. I slept well, but my mum's sleep was disrupted by the sound of the air conditioning unit outside the room.
During our visit we visited the hotel's cocktail bar in the basement, we had flower mojitos which were amazing! Pricey, but nice!
The rooftop pool was open and the decked sunbathing area was lovely with a great view of the surrounding area.
The day before check out the receptionist helped us to confirm our return transfer to the airport and also arranged for us to check out slightly later; on the last day we were also able to leave our luggage at reception until we were picked up at 6.30pm.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay, the issues with the rooms were annoying, but they were resolved by reception and all the ladies on the reception desk were very helpful and obliging. I think your overall opinion of this hotel will largely depend on which room you are given and where it is situated in the hotel.
I've decided to give the hotel an overall 'very good' rating because the location is excellent and the two out of three rooms were good. The breakfast was great and apart from the gentleman at reception, the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

A few tips about Madrid if you visit - we bought a two day pass for the city tour bus and it was great, brilliant value and the perfect way to see the city and hop on and off when you want to explore.
The metro was also a great way to travel around the city, we used the metro to visit the Sofia Museum and the metro staff were really helpful with routes etc.
We watched Carmen in a theatre on the Gran Via, it was amazing, if you love flamenco dancing go, you'll love it!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank nickyrhondda2016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Canberra Aust
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Stayed twice at the Santo Domingo in May 2013. The first great thing about this hotel is its location - so central to everything - Metro Station (Santo Domingo) outside the door; Gran Via with shops, restaurants and the hop on / hop off bus only a block away and easy walking distance to the Palacio Real. Second great thing is the staff at reception. Without exception, they were cheerful, helpful and efficient and took a great deal of trouble to sort out the problems we experienced with a local tour operator. Breakfast was extensive and of a high standard. I also thought, based on the deal we had, that it was very good value for money. The only downside (if you could really call it that) was the decor in some of the rooms. I think the Santo Domingo is aiming for an "art hotel" look but it can be just a bit too far out there. On our first visit we were in room 544 which was a decent size with a rather lurid black and silver wall paper but as this was only on the wall behind the bed, it was no real problem. Second time around we had room 434, the decor of which could best be described as "Tarzan goes to Bali". It is a very small room with every available surface (including the ceiling) painted in bright tropical colours - not so good first thing in the morning. Check out the pictures I have posted and you will see what I mean. All things considered, I would definitely stay at this hotel again however I think I would ask about the room decor.

Room Tip: If access to a pool is important to you, you might like to double check when booking. Apparently th...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Alloa
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just back from Madrid and stayed for 3 nights in this hotel. I am an Accor card member and used 2 vouchers towards this trip.
10 ladies celebrating a 40th Birthday. The organiser booked this hotel as it states on website it has pool, terrace bar etc. Several of the girls were highly disappointed to find out pool and bar closed. The hotel stated that it did not open until 1st June although I see from previous posts that others who have experienced the same were advised opens end March. There is seriously something amiss and the hotel need to make this clear NO Pool.
Had we known this this would not be the hotel of choice.

The location of hotel is a great one on the plus side.

My room room 405 which was noisy and issue with air conditioning and the sound of running water from adjacent rooms and toilets flushing, I complained and was moved to 415. This room was better however on departure found I had been charged an extra 43 euros for moving!! I moved not from choice but because the room was not suitable and noisy.

As were here for 40th on the Saturday asked Guest Relations if we could reserve an area for a small drinks reception at 7pm with some sparkling wine. This was not a problem.

The hotel had no strawberries so we bought these at the supermarket across the road to put into each glass to go along with sparkling wine. We also bought some bite size macaroons and bite size cakes, one each! these were bite size required no serving, no plates.

At 6.30pm in the reserved area there were 3 chairs not 10, nothing set up but there was a reserved sign. When I asked for the nibbles ie crisps they said we could have, the ice bucket with the two bottles sparkling wine and glasses they did not know about this. We were going to order a further 2 bottles but this was last 2 bottles of rose sparkling wine in hotel! They took while to get chairs, we were told we could not eat our own food! I explained the strawberries were one for each glass and one bite size nibble. This was a definite no! Can you believe this.

After some complaining we got it all sorted in time for the "Birthday Girl" arriving at 7pm but their attitude was a disgrace and they lost sales. We had two hours to kill and have drinks but we had out 2 bottles, just ate food and left.

The Cave bar is good, cocktails great and breakfast was also good.

I can advise we would not choose this hotel again. Not obliging in anyway.

Room Tip: Two areas of hotel old and new, new looked much better but none of us in any of these rooms, even my...
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2013

I spent the weekend here as a group of 6. The hotel was above my expectations and has obvoiously had some recent work done to the rooms although the bathrooms are a little tired, but clean and not a problem - more a relic of the 90's! The puplic areas were nice and the breakfast was really good. The staff were helpful with recomendations and I would definatly stay here again. There is a great cocktail bar under the hotel that is a little expensive, but worth a visit. Due to the central location of the hotel dont expect it to be silent outside at the weekend, this is a buzzing capital city! The rooms are not that sound proof either, but I am really fussy with hotels and did not find this a problem. The rooms are each unique (the 3 I saw), clean, a good size and the beds are large and comfy. Madrid is a great city, less touristy than Paris, Rome or London and if you go to the locals bars and eating/tapas places it is really good value.

Room Tip: High floors room 507 has a great view over to the Royal Palace
1 Thank DaffyBrightonUK
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

I have just spent 3 nights in this hotel and I genuinely only have nice things to say about it. I didn't do much research, apart from a quick look on Trip Advisor, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. I was very impressed...

We were checked in by a very nice man on reception, he was friendly and efficient. Our room was on the 3rd floor and it was very nicely decorated and clean. Our room was for 3 and we only had 2 bath robes (easily pleased as this impressed us anyway), however a quick trip down to reception and another bath robe soon arrived at our door (again very efficient). There were lots of complimentary tolietries and a good sized bathroom to use them in. My only problem with the room was that we couldn't get the air-con to work and it was boiling - however as none of us mentioned this to any staff then it's half our fault and we just had to open all the doors and windows (and moan a little bit when the hairdryers/straighteners were in use).

Breakfast was lovely - a continental breakfast with fresh juice, fresh fruit, water, tea & coffee is freely available. There is plenty to chose from and you would have to be very fussy to go hungry. The hot water machine takes an age to fill your cup of tea but that's hardly much to complain about.

The hotel is in a perfect location, we walked to the park and took out a rowing boat, then to the palace for a nice walk around the perimeter (a great photo opportunity on a nice day). There are bars, cafes and tapas (lots of tapas) restaurants in the area and if you walk up some of the streets heading off the main drag you will find some nice cheap places to drink - €1 for a grande beer, bottles of wine for €6/7 and a lovely bar where we got free shots (I'd probably remember the name of it, if they'd have stopped giving us the free shots!).

All in all, I had a fantastic weekend and I was very sorry to leave the hotel (and Madrid) yesterday. I can definitely see myself back in Madrid one day, The Mercure gets my vote and I'd more than likely pick this hotel for my next stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
AntonioNunez, Director de Marketing at Hotel Santo Domingo Madrid, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Mercure Madrid Santo Domingo and for your recommendation.

We are very happy that you liked our Hotel, the rooms and the breakfast but particullary that you enjoyed the service our staff have provided. Our maintenance departament will fix the problem with the air-conditioning.

It will be a real pleasure for us to host you in our Hotel again.

Regards,

Antonio Núñez Pardo
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

myself and 2 friends had a 3 night stay at the Santo Domingo. We got a really good deal so didn't really have many expectations. We were very impressed! The hotel is stunning - most of the rooms were themed and ours was lovely. All of the staff were polite and helpful. The hotel is in the perfect location right in the middle of the bars and shops and we were really sad to leave. Would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Ruth F
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Whilst the hotel is in a good central position and was as expected in regard to rooms, restaurant etc. we had very little sleep. This was due to 2 wedding receptions being held in the hotel, one of which finished at 07.30. Music was being played all night until then. It was, however, a Saturday night although this does not excuse it in my opinion. We had very little sleep which was unfortunate as we were leaving on a long haul flight on the Sunday.
It was not what we expect from a Mercure hotel and we would not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,

First of all thank you very much for staying with us. Your comment is a vital part of our business because we are able to improve the service we offer guests in our hotel.

We are working to improve the soundproofing of the rooms. Anyway it's glad to hear your comment about our location, rooms and restaurant.

I hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Regards,

Antonio Núñez Pardo

Travellers are raving about these Madrid hotels