“Disappointing”

Hotel Santo Domingo Madrid
Ranked #248 of 437 Hotels in Madrid
Reviewed 3 September 2014

My first room had a shower door which opened the wrong direction, so it was almost impossible to get in. So I requested a new room. The second room had a bathroom with loose tiles on the floor and lots of stains in the bath and on the walls. During the weekend the pool, the 2nd reason I picked the hotel, was closed because of private parties. Except for the location, the Hotel was a big disappointment.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank JoostvanB
HotelSDMadrid, Director Comercial at Hotel Santo Domingo Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time o write a review about your stay at Marcure Madrid Santo Domingo, your comment is a vital part of our business because we are able to improve the service we offer guests in our hotel.

Anyway it's glad to hear your comment about our locationI hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

King Regards

Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

We were really enjoyed. The staff was nice to us and the breakfast good.
The pool allways fool with guest and a little crowd.
The room was small but clean.
They clean iur room every day.
I think 3.5 stars was more apropriate for this hotel.
The location was perfect.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tamir O

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel Mercure Madrid Santo Domingo. I look forward to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights but knew we were going to spend most of our time out and about. We didn't eat at any restaurant but had some drinks at the Pool bar which were at tourist prices. 10Euro for a cocktail and 5Euro for a glass of ordinary wine and knowing there are so many great and cheap places to eat and drink surrounding the Hotel I don't understand why anyone would eat or drink there.
The pool is on the small side but it has a great view and although we couldn't get a lounger upstairs we happily sat at a bar table in between swims. The pool was fresh but certainly wasn't cold - I'm a wimp and normally don't swim if the water is cold and I had a few swims!
The room size was fine and although we only had 1 pillow each, we just asked for another one from reception which was brought up within a few minutes. The shower was great and bathroom a great size.
The room decoration was fine, we had a New York mural painted on one wall and nice furniture.
The location of this Hotel is great for popping over to Sol, Plaza de Espana, the Palace, Grand Via and Santo Domingo Metro station is right out the front which is handy when going further.
I'd definitely recommend heading down the small side streets to find a bar for a drink and a tapa - we paid between 1.50 - 3 euro for a glass of wine and a really nice free tapa, something you don't get at the touristy places.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I have been to Madrid a few times and thought I would try a different hotel. This hotel is in a good location, but unfortunately was the noisest one I have stayed in. I expected noise being the end of August but I did not expect delivery lorries all night long(maybe not for the hotel but lorries all the same). On arrival I was told my room was down some stairs then the lift but I was not offered a porter to help carry my bag, and I am a pensioner, albeit not looking too much like one! My room was tiny and no mirrors except in the bathroom. The shower screen kept swaying into the middle of the bath and the shower water went everywhere but the shower head. It was agreed I would change rooms, so once again I had to pack and unpack. Again I was told where my room was but had no offer of help moving my case. The other room was larger and had mirrors, but just as noisy. I am always confused when a room allocated to a guest has a fundamental problem i.e. the shower not working. Surely this is something that should be checked on a regular basis to avoid packing and unpacking. I am a solo regular traveller but unfortunately I did not find staff of this hotel to be as friendly as other hotels I have stayed in around the world. To sum up - if you want a good location and don't mind 24/7 noise this is ok.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time o write a review about your stay at Marcure Madrid Santo Domingo. Your comment is a vital part of our business because we are able to improve the service we offer guests in our hotel We would like expectations.

Sometimes it's very difficult don't have any exterior noise, taking into account that the Hotel is located in the centre of Madrid. Next time I suggest you to ask for an interior room, less noisy but not with the same view.

King regards,

Reviewed 31 August 2014

Firstly, there are lots of reviews that say this property is not a 4*. I completely agree, but in turn, would add that I have always viewed Mercure as a 3* brand in the Accor group of hotels. I am a Platinum card holder with the group and as such, I stay regularly in their hotel from 5* to 3*.

This hotel entirely met my expectations. Reception staff were efficient at check in and the room was ready on time. The room was smallish but adequate for occupation by a couple and was perfectly clean and equipped with safe and mini bar but no kettle and free wifi of an average speed. Bathroom again was well presented with a large walk-in shower with reasonably good water pressure. This room was at the back of the hotel with no view but was quiet as a result. Housekeeping was generally good, but on one day out of 4, a few things were missed.

Breakfast was from a buffet downstairs in the semi-basement and offered a reasonable selection of hot and cold food for a hotel in this price category. The coffee was excellent and came from Nespresso machines. On one morning, there was a tour group of 100 or more people staying, and the breakfast room and staff really could not cope and after they had cleared up, they really should have extended the opening hours for normal guests, but didn't.

The swimming pool on the roof and the surrounding decks are small but again clean (contrary to some reports here) and clean towels were provided. For a city centre hotel, you cannot really complain that it is too small or over populated.......................just get there early!

I would recommend this hotel to tourists who are looking for a reasonably priced, centrally located hotel. There are lots of restaurants all around, it is right next to an underground station and nowhere in the historic centre of the city is more than a 25 minute walk. For a businessman, then I would probably go elsewhere as the rooms are slightly on the dark side, the wifi would need to be quicker and there is no business centre.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UK_FlyerLondon

We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly. Please feel free to contact me on telephone number (915479800) or email (reserva@hotelsantodomingo.es) to discuss this further.

See you on your next trip hopefully!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I must admit this was a disappointing stay in the hotel. The rooms are quite dirty, the bathrooms are not in a good shape and the natural lighting in the rooms is not in abundance. The swimming pool on the roof is over populated and the water seemed to be quite dirty.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

By reading the reviews I already knew this hotel wasn't going to be the best stay of my life so my expectations were already low.. And even then, this hotel didn't meet them.

I booked it because it's well located and it has a nice (cold) rooftop pool.

Although our stay wasn't horrible, we never felt we were in a 4-star hotel, here's why :

We had to upgrade our room because the standard one was tiny and stuffy. 15? extra per night.

The new room was ok, but dated, and tacky (the 80's called and they don't want their ugly furniture back)

Wifi was extremely unstable and slow !

A bucket of ice ? Guess they never heard of it. We had to go to the bar and get ice in regular glasses.

Only one pillow per person.

Bathroom... Meh !

The personnel, ok. Not rude but not really into custumer service/experience.

The pool, really nice with breath-taking views but really cold even at 35C in the shade. The pool bar seriously overpriced. And it was really hard to get a spot to lay down or seat.

Did I mention the guys showing pictures of "available" girls on the street, next to the hotel door ?

Gladly we only spent 2 nights there but if I had to spend more I would have felt really hopeless.

HotelSDMadrid, Director Comercial at Hotel Santo Domingo Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time o write a review about your stay at Marcure Madrid Santo Domingo. We would like apologize for not achieve your expectations.

Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the futur.

King Regards