“Awesome atmosphere and good value!”
Review of El Tigre

El Tigre
Ranked #641 of 11,701 Restaurants in Madrid
Price range: US$20 - US$26
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed 8 June 2014

There are two El Tigre bars on the same street, and I visited both during my visit to Madrid (my preferred one was the more modern). It is always crowded with all kinds of people - but this allows for the vibrant atmosphere. If you buy a drink, you will get a big plate of tapas. Normally, the tapas include croquettas, patatas bravas, paella and prosciuto/bacon/chorizo on bread - all delicious.

For those on a budget, this can be an awesome way to save money and combine dinner and drinks. For a small beer (€2.50), you can still get a huge plate, so this is the most cost effective way to eat at El Tigre. For a big cup of sangria or mojito, you are looking at €6 with the same sized plate of food.

The service is INCREDIBLE. The bar staff are attentive and so fast. This really is an amazing place to visit when in Madrid, it has the perfect combination of atmosphere and value for money.

1  Thank LEOwens
Write a ReviewReviews (2,343)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

It was my first time in Madrid and I had tapas and drinks. I must say, the food was not fantastic but they have oversized drinks for approximately 6 Euros, very good value. The most interesting thing about this tapas bar is the buzzing atmosphere. I walked in the bar and the ambience is just amazing. I would definitely recommend this place for tourist or travellers on budget. I certainly did feel the Spanish culture in this bar.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We went to this place after being recommended by a friend. It was easy to fill up on generously sized drinks and tapas, no need to stop anywhere else for more food. For 20-25 Euro 6 of us had a drink and our fill of croquetas, potatos, and various kinds of tostas, most with ham or other meats on top. It's bar food, so it isn't very healthy, but it was delicious. Honestly the croquetas were better than those we had at several other places in Madrid, and they were plentiful! My favorite part was that my mojito came in a HUGE cup, as did the beers. The wine was also a generous serving. It was a little crowded when we came, but there was space in the additional room upstairs. Note that this place has two locations on the same street; we stopped at the first one, but it was packed, so they sent us to the second one. Really fun time with great value for the money and yummy tapas!

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I would call it a typical student bar. Although it's always crowded and loud, you can't get tired of this place. You pay 5/6 euros for a beer (or sangria, mojito) jar and you get the best (also the biggest) tapas in your life. Absolutely love it.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

If you are used to paying £4+ for a beer in England with no food provided then this is a bargain. Especially popular with students and those on a tight budget. €3 gets you a beer plus enough food for the evening. It is not the greatest tapas and is a little carb heavy but it is acceptable. I would n't make a point of searching it out, but if I was passing and was hungry, I would be happy to grab a cheap meal and drink.